Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage Drive Hull Plug
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've started to remove the mirage drive when underway and insert the plastic plug to fill the hole. The plug doesn't have any type of lanyard or connecting point on it. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I loose it before it's clipped in. Has anyone come up a good way to attach a lanyard to it?

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You can get a small eyelet attachment at West Marine or any marine store. Two small stainless steel pan head screws can attach it. Drill two small holes, smaller than the screws. I poaked a small amount of eqoxi into the holes to coat the screws after they had been inserted. I also put epoxi on top to seal everything completely.

Ron P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't imagine why you would want to remove the mirage drive at all Bob. Maybe it would slightly improve straight line sailing speed but you would lose any advantage you gained during the next tack. I for one just love the drive being just where it is meant to be....Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
I can't imagine why you would want to remove the mirage drive at all Bob. Maybe it would slightly improve straight line sailing speed but you would lose any advantage you gained during the next tack. I for one just love the drive being just where it is meant to be....Pirate :wink:

Pirate, how about those long runs/broad reaches you get on the Lakes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Darwinian thank for the reply and picture. I will do something very similar, wish there was a way to through bolt it vs. epoxy.

Pirate

I started sailing with the drive in and felt comfortable having it available for use. However, I recently spent several days sailing in the Sea Of Cortez in Mexico. I had it out most of the time. One day a had a pretty brist off shore wind and I short out like a rocket. When out it feels like there is less drag and the boat is a little more responsive. I was using a GPS, but don't have enough data to quantify to speed differential. I'd probably have the drive in for winds approaching 20 mph. I think its a safety concern at that point. I have a S.S. lanyard attached to the drive and they are laying across the hull above the hole. The drive can be inserted pretty quick.

However, I have an 09 and often seem to have a difficult time getting the cam's to lock. That is a concern I have, not sure if my technic is wrong.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob,
Roadrunner once made a handbag out of his plug! :wink:
You can throughbolt a bung and then secure the plug. This post may help:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... light=plug

Pirate,
What Bob said!!
You should try sailing without the drive in. It is a very different experience, just as paddling without the drive in is. It is a true sailing experience. It is all part of what makes the AI such a versatile craft! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I only remove my drive when sailing downwind. (As well as retract the dagger board.)

I've been thinking of trying sail only and using the plug though, was just always worried about losing it. The eyelet is a good idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pirate wrote:

I very rarely fit the mirage drive, and I usually gibe turn, especially if the wind is good. I will be heaps faster on the turn than anyone even with pedal assistance. It turns inside about two boat lengths typically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geoff wrote:
Pirate wrote:

I very rarely fit the mirage drive, and I usually gibe turn, especially if the wind is good. I will be heaps faster on the turn than anyone even with pedal assistance. It turns inside about two boat lengths typically.

...but to gybe you first have got to travelling downwind and if not you will lose many many boat lengths each time if you are on the wind and turn downwind.

...LOL. I knew this diversion would get the blood flowing out there. I must admit I have not even tried sailing or paddling without the drive other than a downwind run beside Mickey at one time where admittedly my speed was better than his with his drive installed. I better go out in the next few days, hopefully over Easter, and try for myself and later report my unbiased experience here. :? Now where are you Mickey and are you up for a driveless paddle or sail? In fact we could compare speeds with between us with one having a drive installed..Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I gotta agree with Geoff. In a reasonable breeze, you can gibe really fast, in a tight turn. It feels like doing doughnuts in a car. And you come out of the turn moving much faster than when you tack. It's one time not having a boom is an advantage. I don't know if you really make faster forward progress than by tacking, but it sure feels faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
I gotta agree with Geoff. In a reasonable breeze, you can gibe really fast, in a tight turn. It feels like doing doughnuts in a car. And you come out of the turn moving much faster than when you tack. It's one time not having a boom is an advantage. I don't know if you really make faster forward progress than by tacking, but it sure feels faster.

The fact is that you would definately lose a lot of ground by gybing if you replaced it for tacking into the wind. It may seem fast Chris but it would cost you dearly in reality. But again I will experiment with Mickey as we have planned to sail in the Gippsland Lakes tomorrow afternoon
Seems we have a little experimentation to do tomorrow.

Happy and Safer Easter to all on the forum....Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't argue that gibing upwind is faster than tacking Pirate, at least not in terms of velocity made good, but it can be more exhilarating in a moderate breeze, because the speed through the water is greater. It may be an illusion, but that is the essence of the AI's appeal - it's not really a very fast boat, but it feels like one. It will be interesting to see what happens with you and Mickey trying it out. I wouldn't bother if the breeze is light though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

chrisj wrote:
I can't argue that gibing upwind is faster than tacking .

WOT WOT?????????????? :? ........now youve got me going, whats this gibing UPWIND all about.....have we reinvented physics?????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry Philp, careless use of language. I meant moving from one tack to the opposite tack by bearing away from the wind and turning through 270º, instead of tacking through 90º. Geoff is the real proponent of this. I was just commenting that I agree that it is fun and not a bad substitute for tacking, especially with the drive out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

chrisj wrote:
Sorry Philp, careless use of language. I meant moving from one tack to the opposite tack by bearing away from the wind and turning through 270º, instead of tacking through 90º. Geoff is the real proponent of this. I was just commenting that I agree that it is fun and not a bad substitute for tacking, especially with the drive out.

OK...Chris....Gotcha..yup..thats fun!!! :lol:

On the subject of keeping the drive in place or using the plug...I havent ever used the plug, stronger winds tend to come up on me and theres so much going on I keep the drive right where it is. I bought my AI to go sailing, then someone introduced me to fishing and its taken over all I am trying to do is maintain a nice trolling speed!!! Sometimes, (many times now) there simply arent any fish around so I will reel in and just sail for the hell of it...WOW...!