Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been surprised to see that there are no bulkheads inside my AI's hull. As a long time kayaker I assumed that if I put something in the forward hatch it would remain in the front of the boat. Not so in the AI. Gear slides the length of the boat. I'm not sure I can see how this is a helpful feature from either the standpoint of buoyancy or from the standpoint of gear loading.

I was wondering how others work with the problem of gear sliding up and down the length of the boat's interior?

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited by timo on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Leash everything :)
The only way that has worked for me is to attach anything that is small enough to move around. The cart in the bow hatch and larger plastic containers (Lock & Lock) in the center hatch are all I use that haven't tried to move around.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good question. Being one to overpack "stuff" I have been considering some adhesive velcro stuck down inside and on various containers. That should slow things down.

Also thoought about cutting up some of those foam "floor mats" used for camping and making some trays that could be pushed inside the hull and velcroed in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been looking at making up some net cargo barriers to divide the various compartments up. I want to address the tramps and spray shield next, but too busy sailing it at the moment whilst the weather is good, to spend any proper time on it.

Considering building in some securing loops on the tramp to allow the fitment of the Ocean Kayak type seat (4 straps with hooks to mount). This would enable a passenger on each side to sit well back in relative comfort.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
Leash everything :)
The only way that has worked for me is to attach anything that is small enough to move around. The cart in the bow hatch and larger plastic containers (Lock & Lock) in the center hatch are all I use that haven't tried to move around.

You most definately should be elevated from Old Salt to 'Legendary' rank as far as I am concerned Bob. You have thought through and have solutions for all AI 's problems....Pirate :D :D