Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mast Photo.
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Upyaboya wrote:
Max,

That weather looks very like the kind of seastate we get over here routinely. I have found very little water gets into the forward hatch even though the bow spends quite a bit of time submerged through waves. Removing the mirage drive definitely helps and as suggested in a different post, the A1 has less of tendency to yaw.

I noticed that you appear to have a red bungee arrangement at the rear between ama's. Is this a barber hauler arrangement?

I looked at the Gopro website link you posted. Which version did you get and when you attach it to the mast is there much cable or is the unit self contained?. I presume you could mount the camera virtually anywhere.

Thanks for your help.

Upyaboya

Yep that's a Red rope so I don't get it mixed up with the Black Main. (A length of Bungee is less fiddley but doesnt allow fine tuning of the sail).
It runs to a double Block on the main sheets to haul that sail over for a better downwind position while still retaining control of the sail tension as the mains continue to run through the double block, you can see it working in the first photo in this Thread, (NOT this photo, the Photo on PAGE#1).

The Secondary benefit of this system is if the upwind BH sheet can be tightened so it draws the double block forward and down, (This Photo), it is now similar to moving the Sheeting Block position forward a la RoadRunner's post, "Better Rigging For Your AI".
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4755

With this system you can, to an extent, alter the camber of the sail foot without changing the angle of the sail to the boat significantly and having to make the corresponding steering adjustment. You can see this in the attached image.
Sort of like a variable geometry wing, I wish I had one on my Aeroplane.
Don't try this at home if the wind is strong. The AMA/AKA are not designed for extreme twisting loads even though most of the load is still on the main, (you could add another pair of Blocks forward of the hatch to reduce the load), but the fine tuning of the sail is most beneficial in light winds anyway.

Last edited by skymax on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:50 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Drew wrote:
Get the GoPro Surf Hero cam. They're awesome. We have a few here that we mount all over the kayaks with RAM mounts, Scotty mounts, etc.

Here's a couple videos we did with the Pro Angler and the Surf Hero cams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWX86UauYrk (after about :49 the gopro footage begins)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-GJ9LAGp94 (getting wrecked in the surf)

Remember that several of the models are available with the 170 deg Fish-Eye lens as used in my mast pics.
These are usually suffixed with the word "WIDE", as in Helmet Hero WIDE, my model.
They all do the same thing just different mounting bracket packages for different applications.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you Sky Max. The videos are great. Multi angle offers a much better experience. The Hero seems to be the one alright!