Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:08 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 am
Posts: 2
Location: Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Greetings all and thanks for the great information contained on this board. I test drove a '07 AI at my local dealer and loved it. He'll sell me a still-in-the-box 2007 for $2500 or a 2009 at full price. I could really use some advice from the veterans here about the value in paying the extra freight for the newest version. Thanks.

Lee


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:36 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:39 pm
Posts: 101
Location: Venice, Florida
Hey Hoff,

A lot of much needed updates have been made since 07. IMHO, I wouldn't pay $2,500 for an 07 without updates because it was "just-out-of-the-box". The 07 is what I have--it's a great boat--after making the updates. Most likely the 07 didn't sell because it didn't have the updates. I would bargain with this dealer, or checkout what other dealers will offer before making a decision on the 07.

The 2010's will be out soon (NLT Sep/Oct) so I wouldn't pay anymore than the $3,299 advertised price for an 09. Hobie keeps improving their products. So your decision pretty much depends on your budget. They're great boats. Would buy it again in heartbeat.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Tandem AI. If it satisfies my "Expedition" requirements I'll most likely buy one. But if it doesn't live up to expectations I'll still be happy to stick with my humble, loveable AI.

Good Luck :)

_________________
Polecat
------------------
Hobie AI & WS Tempest 180 Pro
SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:09 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 pm
Posts: 23
Polecat,
I to have been looking at buying a AI for quite awhile now.I agree with Hoffmal. I would try to wait to get a newer one. I have been shopping allot and that's a good price if you don't have to pay tax on top. There are quite a few in San Diego for sale for 2800.00 but then the dealers add the tax + 300.00.
After quite alot of research one concern I have are the rudder issues. Look on forum and you can see most of the posts 221 views 7673 are about rudder issues
Here's one from the Tandem All Wish List post "A rudder system that I can rely on when I am outside the harbour, get me home everytime please."
Don't get me wrong ,If I had the cash right now I would already have a brand new one. But since I don't It makes me do allot of research so I make sure I get exactly what I want for the right price.
Good luck and I hope you get want you want.

Roderick


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:18 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:39 pm
Posts: 101
Location: Venice, Florida
Roderick, Re: Rudder Issues

Two free updates in 07 reduced AI rudder problems: 1) original small rudder replaced with a larger, more balanced, sailing rudder; and, 2) new bungied rudder up/down control lines replaced the old system to lock the rudder down and eliminate the previous problem of being overpowered/rounded off to port in high winds. I have had no rudder problems since. Most of the time I'm no more 1 or 2 miles offshore so using my paddle as a rudder for that distance doesn't present too much of a problem.

Like you said...some seem to have a lot of problems with rudder pins...hasn't been the case for me...still using my original...since 7/10/07. Just gotta keep things clean and keep an eye on wear, and maintain it like anything else you own.

Good Luck,

P.S. As long as Democrats run CA, and elsewhere, taxes are going to go up. Maybe you ought to buy before sales taxes go even higher. :mrgreen:

_________________
Polecat
------------------
Hobie AI & WS Tempest 180 Pro
SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:02 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:04 pm
Posts: 227
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina
I think you will really love the AI once you get one as I do
But that '07 would need to be brought up to '08 specs for
That price. My '08 was that price with all upgrades from factory
And v2 drive. I have not had rudder issues either and am still
on the original rudder pin.

_________________
2010 Hibiscus Adventure Island


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:01 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:59 pm
Posts: 349
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Hi, I haven't had any Rudder Pin probs with my AI either because I am aware of the limitations of a plastic system and dont sail in conditions that are likely to break it. Depends on your local geographic situation, if you are sailing on a lake a broken pin is not life-threatening, for the open sea it can be very serious if there is no safe landfall reachable/available. Most middle-agers do not have the physical endurance to pedal the Mirage Drive for miles against wind and current whilst using both hands to steer with the paddle, I don't and I am a Cyclist that regularily rides 30 Kilometres. The Southbound sea current here is 4 Knots, or just over 7 kilometres an hour which is about the speed my Hobie pedals at in calm water WITHOUT the sail and outriggers.
The harbour entrance is the only place to make land for hundreds of Kilometres of rugged coastline and the sea is full of large Monsters so I have to use more caution than a Lake Sailor.

Anyway that is a bit off-topic.
The earlier Rudder Raising System was not perfect on my previous Hobie Revolution and i think that in the long term you would be more satisfied with the ease of use and reliability of the new pull-cord system. Sometimes the AI cockpit is a busy kitchen if you are needing to push the boat through shore-break, clamber in, drop the Fins, adjust the ever-twisting seat pad and lower the rudder all in a few moments you need stuff that works first time reliably.

UNLESS: You are one of those skilled handy-men who just loves tinkering with stuff and upgrading all the old systems to the new standard, then you will have a ball.

_________________
Fair Skies, Max.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:37 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 am
Posts: 1799
Location: Terrigal NSW, Australia
Max, which part of the coast do you live on?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:58 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:53 pm
Posts: 232
Get the 09 boat, it's worth it.

1.) Lots of rudder issues are fixed, I've personally sailed 150 miles on the same rudder pin, in lots of conditions, I used to be worried it would break on every outing, but since I've had no issues I feel alot better about the boat. (knock on wood) D Type pin

2.) Beefed up mirage drive well and no cam columns, in 07 and 08 boats used with lots of heavy peddling with the turbo fins would cause cracks to develop in the mirage drive well area and in some cases shear the cam columns supporting the mirage drive well. This appears to all be fixed in 09, I've not had any issues. Not to mention click'n'go, I feel this secures the mirage drive very well if you can get it in. :)

3.) Latest and greatest mirage drive with all the tweaks

4.) You get a warranty for 2 years, I'm not sure what the deal would be for a warranty on a 07

5.) Don't have to hassle with upgrading everything

Get the 09, or wait for a 2010


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:19 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:59 pm
Posts: 349
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
chrisj wrote:
Max, which part of the coast do you live on?


Coffs Harbour, many boats come here because it is the only safe anchorage in this region, in fact, the only harbour in the region.

_________________
Fair Skies, Max.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:31 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:59 pm
Posts: 349
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
JollyGreen wrote:
Get the 09 boat, it's worth it.

1.) Lots of rudder issues are fixed, I've personally sailed 150 miles on the same rudder pin, in lots of conditions, I used to be worried it would break on every outing, but since I've had no issues I feel alot better about the boat. (knock on wood) D Type pin

2.) Beefed up mirage drive well and no cam columns, in 07 and 08 boats used with lots of heavy peddling with the turbo fins would cause cracks to develop in the mirage drive well area and in some cases shear the cam columns supporting the mirage drive well. This appears to all be fixed in 09, I've not had any issues. Not to mention click'n'go, I feel this secures the mirage drive very well if you can get it in. :)

3.) Latest and greatest mirage drive with all the tweaks

4.) You get a warranty for 2 years, I'm not sure what the deal would be for a warranty on a 07

5.) Don't have to hassle with upgrading everything


Get the 09, or wait for a 2010


Gee, reading all that makes me feel like my 08 is a defect-ridden, superseded piece of history :(

_________________
Fair Skies, Max.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:46 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 am
Posts: 1799
Location: Terrigal NSW, Australia
skymax wrote:
chrisj wrote:
Max, which part of the coast do you live on?


Coffs Harbour, many boats come here because it is the only safe anchorage in this region, in fact, the only harbour in the region.


Max, I realise it's hardly desirable, but in a pinch, would you be able to put in at Urunga? Just curious.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:44 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:53 pm
Posts: 232
skymax wrote:
JollyGreen wrote:
Get the 09 boat, it's worth it.

1.) Lots of rudder issues are fixed, I've personally sailed 150 miles on the same rudder pin, in lots of conditions, I used to be worried it would break on every outing, but since I've had no issues I feel alot better about the boat. (knock on wood) D Type pin

2.) Beefed up mirage drive well and no cam columns, in 07 and 08 boats used with lots of heavy peddling with the turbo fins would cause cracks to develop in the mirage drive well area and in some cases shear the cam columns supporting the mirage drive well. This appears to all be fixed in 09, I've not had any issues. Not to mention click'n'go, I feel this secures the mirage drive very well if you can get it in. :)

3.) Latest and greatest mirage drive with all the tweaks

4.) You get a warranty for 2 years, I'm not sure what the deal would be for a warranty on a 07

5.) Don't have to hassle with upgrading everything


Get the 09, or wait for a 2010


Gee, reading all that makes me feel like my 08 is a defect-ridden, superseded piece of history :(



Sorry, I'm just trying to make sure he has all the info. He could get it by searching through the forums, but sometimes it's kind of hard to find something you don't know exists. I do know that people had problems with 07 mirage drive well cracks and cam columns, and I do know that my friends 08 mirage drive well cracked and he is getting a new hull. There probably isn't enough testing/user experience on the 09s yet, but I've not heard or read about any issues so far, and I've not personally had any problems, I'm not using turbo fins though.

The boat is awesome though. Get one!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:34 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 am
Posts: 2
Location: Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Thanks for the responses so far. I have read through the past posts and I'm still confused about the upgrading process. I know the rudder; mast housing; and mirage drive on the original 2007 can all be upgraded. When I make those upgrades have I essentially now created a duplicate of the 2009 version? Or were there modifications/improvements to the AI that can't be achieved through upgrades...and what would those be?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:56 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:59 pm
Posts: 349
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
JollyGreen wrote:
skymax wrote:
JollyGreen wrote:
Get the 09 boat, it's worth it.

1.) Lots of rudder issues are fixed, I've personally sailed 150 miles on the same rudder pin, in lots of conditions, I used to be worried it would break on every outing, but since I've had no issues I feel alot better about the boat. (knock on wood) D Type pin

2.) Beefed up mirage drive well and no cam columns, in 07 and 08 boats used with lots of heavy peddling with the turbo fins would cause cracks to develop in the mirage drive well area and in some cases shear the cam columns supporting the mirage drive well. This appears to all be fixed in 09, I've not had any issues. Not to mention click'n'go, I feel this secures the mirage drive very well if you can get it in. :)

3.) Latest and greatest mirage drive with all the tweaks

4.) You get a warranty for 2 years, I'm not sure what the deal would be for a warranty on a 07

5.) Don't have to hassle with upgrading everything


Get the 09, or wait for a 2010


Gee, reading all that makes me feel like my 08 is a defect-ridden, superseded piece of history :(



Sorry, I'm just trying to make sure he has all the info. He could get it by searching through the forums, but sometimes it's kind of hard to find something you don't know exists. I do know that people had problems with 07 mirage drive well cracks and cam columns, and I do know that my friends 08 mirage drive well cracked and he is getting a new hull. There probably isn't enough testing/user experience on the 09s yet, but I've not heard or read about any issues so far, and I've not personally had any problems, I'm not using turbo fins though.

The boat is awesome though. Get one!


Yep, understood, i am well pleased with my AI, I just havent heard about the camlok and cracking before, maybe I will put the standard fins back on.

_________________
Fair Skies, Max.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:15 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:59 pm
Posts: 349
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
chrisj wrote:
skymax wrote:
chrisj wrote:
Max, which part of the coast do you live on?


Coffs Harbour, many boats come here because it is the only safe anchorage in this region, in fact, the only harbour in the region.


Max, I realise it's hardly desirable, but in a pinch, would you be able to put in at Urunga? Just curious.


It's a good question to which there are many answers.
The sand bars at river mouths like Urunga are constantly changing in form and size, so are the waves that are striking them.
On one day with friendly sandbars and no big swell you would sail straight in no problem, however the water there is very shallow so any kind of wave action is going to stand up when it hits the sand.
All this is not taking into account what the tide is doing at the time in coastal estuaries like Urunga.
The outgoing tide becomes a fast current in the shallows pushing the incoming waves up and creating all kinds of disturbed water, it also may be too fast to pedal against.
I Kayak at urunga and most of the other estuaries in this area and not even the strong, experienced guys in our Club with large sea kayaks show any enthusiasm for entering areas like this.
If I was South of the Harbour with a gear failure and there was a moderate NE breeze blowing that would be your only possible unassisted option if you had time to get there as it is some distance.
I have my boat registered with the VMR and notify them if I am "Going Outside" I can radio call them if i have a prob, they would most likely divert one of the rec fishing boats to give me a tow back to the safety of the harbour.
Fortunately a lifetime of Aviation has given me a good weather eye and a healthy respect for the elements.

_________________
Fair Skies, Max.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group