Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why the long wait?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Could anyone from Hobie explain to me why we in Europe are having to wait so long for our Kayaks? I was on the phone a day or so ago to my dealer, and it seems my Hobie AI will not be here until the end of August, thats another 2 weeks on the delivery time! i'm seriosly annoyed, I placed my order in first week of June... :(

If I hadn't set my heart on an AI I would of cancelled and ordered another brand, 3 months in anyones book is too long to wait, my buddy ordered a yak from South Africa, it was made and delivered in under in 5 weeks............

Post subject: Re: Why the long wait?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's a bit late now - I just checked and the auction is finished - but last week there was a nearly new AI on Ebay UK (in Gosport, I think, between Portsmouth and Southampton - r u in the UK?).

It looked like being a real bargain, but I missed the final day, so I don't know what price was achieved.

I think the Hobie MirageDrive series is not yet well known in the UK - try to think of yourself as a pioneer!

Ditch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone from Hobie care to answer my question??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ditch Crawler wrote:
It's a bit late now - I just checked and the auction is finished - but last week there was a nearly new AI on Ebay UK (in Gosport, I think, between Portsmouth and Southampton - r u in the UK?).

It looked like being a real bargain, but I missed the final day, so I don't know what price was achieved.

I think the Hobie MirageDrive series is not yet well known in the UK - try to think of yourself as a pioneer!

Ditch

I saw it mate, but I tend to always buy new, if I can, at this rate my 2009 AI will be a year out of date...

Does anyone know of somebody from Hobie I can email to get answers? like I said 3 months is unacceptable..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roller wrote:
I saw it mate, but I tend to always buy new, if I can, at this rate my 2009 AI will be a year out of date...

Does anyone know of somebody from Hobie I can email to get answers? like I said 3 months is unacceptable..

I don't know what it's like in America, but here in the UK, it is normal for the convenience of the retailer to take precedence over the requirements of the customer!

It would be nice to think that the current 'state of the nation' would encourage a better attitude - maybe you should try to impose a 'penalty clause' on your order, whereby you would receive a discount on the agreed price for every day of non-delivery after an agreed date...

Unfortunately, you have probably signed an order form which absolves the dealership from any liability to supply the goods within any particular timeframe.

Ditch

I just love the Suffolk rivers by the way - maybe we will pass one day like ships in the night

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

p.s. - from your 'Hi Folks' thread, I recall that you have almost no experience on the water - boating is nowhere near being like rocket science, but I would not personally recommend pushing off in a Hobie AI as a first-time effort!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ditch Crawler wrote:
p.s. - from your 'Hi Folks' thread, I recall that you have almost no experience on the water - boating is nowhere near being like rocket science, but I would not personally recommend pushing off in a Hobie AI as a first-time effort!

Be good if we could meet up sometime, I don't have sailing or Kayaking experience, but I do have my RYA 2 powerboat, and experience of power boating......it's just wind power I need to brush up on lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditch Crawler wrote:

Goodness, DC, what would you recommend that could possibly be easier than an AI to sail?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All boats are easy to sail once you know how, but to set off single-handed in any kind of sailing boat with no experience seems to me to invite an unsatisfactory experience, possible damage to the boat (and any other boat with which you might collide), and a risk of getting into more serious difficulties. An AI takes up quite a lot of space, and a brand new one takes up quite a lot of cash!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Of any boat, I think with the AI you can just drop somebody in, help them launch, tell them how not to hit anything, and catch them when their coming in to land. I do use a Family Radio strapped on their PFD to talk to them, but that's more for me then them. Taught many family and friends that way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roller wrote:
Be good if we could meet up sometime, I don't have sailing or Kayaking experience, but I do have my RYA 2 powerboat, and experience of power boating......it's just wind power I need to brush up on lol

Roller, all you really have to remember is you can always stop by turning into the wind and/or letting out the mainsheet (that rope thingy you are hanging on to :wink: ). After that, it's just a matter of gaining experience with how best to trim the sail in various conditions. There's no substitute for time on the water.
As to the long wait, my guess would be that the turnover of AI's is so low in the UK that the (sole) agent doesn't want to risk being caught with superseded stock and only ships from the US when he has a confirmed order.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ditch Crawler wrote:
All boats are easy to sail once you know how, but to set off single-handed in any kind of sailing boat with no experience seems to me to invite an unsatisfactory experience, possible damage to the boat (and any other boat with which you might collide), and a risk of getting into more serious difficulties. An AI takes up quite a lot of space, and a brand new one takes up quite a lot of cash!

If I were to introduce anyone into sailing I would do so using a craft that wasnt dependent on sail alone, I wouldnt send them out alone even in the most basic dingy...but in an AI where they first have the option to get a feel for the water without even unfurling the sail, slowly building up confidence....I believe it would be the perfect craft. Only one problem with the AI...its probably too easy to sail and if you went on to sail other craft then you might encounter more challenging problems like getting stuck in irons...etc.

Roller....you will be absolutely fine, theres no easier craft to sail, and if you wish to you can build up at your leisure..dont even unfurl the sail on your first outing if you dont want to, the pedalling will be a novelty all on its own.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The AI is probably the easiest boat to teach to people how to sail on.8)
Its stability is unmatched and you can pedal or paddle out of trouble once you release the mainsheet as Chris said.
I have taught many people how to sail it by kneeling on a foam pad in the rear well and taking them out briefly. Once they are able to lock/release the mainsheet, furl the sail and understand the rudder up/down and pedals forward/back for landing they're good to go solo! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for all your helpfull posts guys... :) I looking forward to hitting the water

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roller wrote:
Thanks for all your helpfull posts guys... :) I looking forward to hitting the water

Go for it!