Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate,
I wouldn't make it using the balloon tyres. I only use them when on sand as the drag on firm surfaces is terrible. Even the standard wheels showed signs of excessive wear after just one trip . The Hobie heavy duty pneumatic tyres are the only ones that can cope, though I have just replaced the worn out bushings with stainless ball/acetal bearings for smooth rolling and I have had to re-weld the cart joints twice. :roll:
Can't really complain though as that Trax cart has done around 600kms in the last year and a half! :)

Rokraider,
An interesting idea but there would probably be some serious legal and safety issues if I was to sail on our local roads! :shock:
I travel to work 2 nightshifts a week leaving in the afternoon and returning next morning. I wheel the kayak a bit over 1.2km to the water and then about 700m at the other end. It's not a single wheeled 8km trip -even I would baulk at that! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am thinking Stringy you may be the only AI sailor that could justify a tax claim based on mileage for your Adventure Island....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Pirate,

Does your cart still fit inverted in the scupper holes? On my AI's the rear bar for the akas is in the way.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

geocacher wrote:
Hi Pirate,

Does your cart still fit inverted in the scupper holes? On my AI's the rear bar for the akas is in the way.

Dave

Dave, you can slip the cart down behind the aka brace and the tips of the uprights fit in the scuppers. You can then secure it with the seat bungee:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure if mine fit this way either. My wheels are pretty fat though.
I was thinking about some custom (i.e PVC) pipe attached to the storage crate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can get them the cart to fit in inverted and stay in place as the wheels push against thick foam lagging (same as used for pirate pillows) that is around the rear aka brace. Admitedly it is a neat fit but it does fit. I like your set-up Chris....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:19 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Pirate wrote:
In relation to filling the wheels, simply unscrew the valve and fill via the tap after which replacing the valve. You can establish the quantity by competely filling it first then poaring it back into a measuring jug then using only 40%....Pirate :wink:

If you're going to put water in your tires, here's a couple of tricks from the farmers.

1. After removing the valve stem insert, why not just drop the tire in a bucket and let the water flow in?

2. To end up with the correct amount of water, have the wheels on the frame, the tires off the ground, rotate the tires to prescribed position and let excess water run out of the empty valve stem. For small tractors, I usually fill to the top of the hub position. Amazingly, any excess always drains right back out. To get 40%, try rotating your tires so the valve stem is at mid hub. When the water stops draining put the valve in the stem and a couple of puffs of air and you're ready to go. Be careful not to overinflate! When airing and checking pressure the valve should be up higher than the water level. This method is quicker and more accurate than filling up the tire and then pouring some out.

3. Be sure any water additives are non toxic for when it leaks out later. Since there is nothing in the wheel to rust, I agree with Stringy that antifreeze shouldn't be necessary since the air chamber provides expansion room. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now that I think more about it Roadrunner, that is exactly the way I did it with mine. I have owned both an old grey Ferguson and a David Brown tractor and used to fill up the wheels that way. Thanks for bringing that to our attention....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

has anyone bought the universal kayak cart that doesn't plug in? it looks to be the most convenient... it looks like all you have to do is strap it on and roll it in or out without having to flip it over plug in the cart....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My experience with that type of cart is, it's difficult to quickly strap it well enough for it not to wiggle around under the kayak and work loose enough to cause problems. The scupper carts work best, as long as you are sure to get it (and keep it) fully through the scupper holes, so it can't damage them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:00 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

What reconlon said. I have a universal cart and a little "v" block (Hobie calls it a mini cart) that I keep around for other kayaks, and find they can slip out of position, get off center, and run askew when the terrain gets a bit rough. Additionally they are meant to be pulled primarily, not pushed (I do both). I've had several people come up and ask if the Hobie scupper cart might also fit their kayak. Unfortunately, usually not.

Of the non-scupper carts, the universal is the better of the two, but the scupper cart is the best way to go. 8)

BTW, I never have to flip the boat to install the cart. It plugs in while the boat is still on the rooftop and comes out once the kayak is floating (just reach underneath). Throw the cart aboard and off you go. When returning, tilt the boat while still in the water, insert the cart, roll your load to the vehicle, and the cart will fall off when you lift the boat away. Of course, everyone's circumstance is different, but this procedure works on every one of Hobie's kayaks for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The other day I was in a hurry to get out of the way of a couple of yachts coming in. I left the scupper cart in until I had peddled well out of their way and was very surprised how easy it was to pull the cart out in deep water. Similarly, yesterday CGM and I were returning in peak hour traffic as all the 49'ers and mirrors came in after their race. We courteous AI skippers stayed back with our sails furled and with nothing much else to do whilst waiting, we both inserted our carts whilst in deep water - how easy it was - and then we were able to step out front and wheel the AI straight up the ramp and out of everyone elses' way.

From here on, my routine will be to extract and insert the cart from the comfort of the AI whilst still in deep water.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:15 pm 
I have yet to get my boat, but I sail in the cold month's on Lake Superior. A dry suit is great if you have the cash. But I usually sail from a boat launch when it's cold so as to stay a bit dryer. Proper clothing is key. If you can't afford the dry suit, knee high kayak boot's are nice. Cheaper semi dry top and pants help a lot. But if you go in the drink you will still get wet and can easily get hypothermia, and maybe die. If you cant get the dry suit get what you can and choose carefully the weather you sail in. Cold days are not the time to test the limits of your sailing skill's if you are not dressed for the worst. That being said, going out on a stormy day,... or night, in a proper dry suit is a blast !! Happy sailing ...
Max Houston.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never had a problem inserting the Cart, grasp with right hand and thumb on top cart tube, locate hole in AI with thumb and insert that side partially, rotate cart frame until the far cart tube slides into the far hole.

I must say I am a bit confused by peoples attempts to stay dry when they are going sailing, especially the phrase, "one arm getting wet", oh horrors!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you have to add weight to the hobie HD cart to make it easier to install while on the water in a hobie pro angler? I was thinking of wheeling the pa all the way into the water down a boat ramp and using a leash drag the boat to deeper water using the dock and then hop in and remove the wheels. Upon returning hop out onto the dock after inserting the wheels and towing it in along the dock and out wheeling it back up the boat ramp staying dry the entire time. Would I have to add water to the HD wheels? Or should I just get the standard cart?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next