Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ron Papworth wrote:
Any thoughts...and you got wet pirate putting those wheels on or off, right..you haven't figured how to do that dry, right?

I just had a brainstorm Ron - why don't you get one of those arm-length gloves that vets use to do pelvic examinations on cows. Then you could use the Pirate wheel technique. Personally, if it was me, I'd go for a new one, rather than second-hand.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Ron Papworth wrote:
Any thoughts...and you got wet pirate putting those wheels on or off, right..you haven't figured how to do that dry, right?

I just had a brainstorm Ron - why don't you get one of those arm-length gloves that vets use to do pelvic examinations on cows. Then you could use the Pirate wheel technique. Personally, if it was me, I'd go for a new one, rather than second-hand.

No wonder cows go MOO :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pirate wrote:
Arno the right amount is just under half full or about 40% which I established from trial and error. I stow mine in the rear well under an ocky strap which secures it and makes the boat balanced and very convenient and easy to get to when coming back on shore. If you are already using that area for an ice-box or similar, you can carry the cart inverted in the scuppers behind the seat.There is definately a weight difference with the added water but which I believe makes no difference at all to the performance of the AI.

Thanks Pirate for answering.
I too am sure the weight difference won't impact much on the boat performance (another virtue of the AI design, carrying all my spear fishing gear would impact much more on my former SOT).
What I'm concerned with is the overall weight on land, as I have to go through a steep road / ramp.
What would you say is added : 2 to 3 kilograms I guess ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... ting-goods (sorry for the link but it doesn't work with the insert img function.

These are the kind of wheels I use, with valves alike to those used for car tyres. How can you get water in there ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I beach it, unload, Then tip it onto its side, insert the cart, pull it upright and trundle up the beach.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes but the point of finding a way round is to precisely avoid unloading and loading again (sought after by lazy or hurried people) !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Arno, I often drag mine up steep ramps and though it's a puff, I don't believe the extra water weight, possibly a kilo or so, would impact at all really. In relation to filling the wheels, simply unscrew the valve and fill via the tap after which replacing the valve. You can establish the quantity by competely filling it first then poaring it back into a measuring jug then using only 40%....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK thanks a lot !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't had an issue with the balloon tyres as far as floatation goes. They are much easier to insert than my usual heavy duty pneumatic tyres. The problem I had was one going flat for no apparent reason. It may have been leaking around the valve when under load as the tyre itself had no punctures. The leak was fixed by adding tyre sealant like this:
So instead of using just water why not add the sealant which is water based and quite dense and would serve a dual purpose by providing less floatation and lower the risk of punctures? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great idea if it works Stringy but someone needs to use a bottle in each tyre to test the effect on positive buoyancy of the kart. Are you going to be that one?..Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

250mls in each tyre sealed the leak and made the cart noticeably heavier. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can you test it then to establish if it makes one hand kart insertion and retrieval possible please and let us know? Personally I have not punctured a wheel yet but it sounds like a goer if it does similar to water with the added bonus.....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Adding a liquid to the tires sounds like it's something I'm going to try...

So now I'm looking ahead to winter: Should a little anti-freeze (or windshield fluid, or some other kind of non-corrosive/anti-freezing additive) also be used in those tires so they would survive winter storage?

That way the tires wouldn't need to be drained at the end of the season (one less end-of-season chore to remember) - - and - - the carts could still be used by heartier souls than mine during mid-winter "Polar Bear" events.

Or does the flexibility of those tires make this a mute point?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate,
I already insert the cart with either tyres one handed. I am not interested in making the cart any heavier as I wheel my kayak about 8km each week and have to go up some very steep hills. :?
If you knew how much water you added to each tyre then substituting that quantity with a slightly less quantity of sealant (as it has a higher SG than water) should have the same effect.

Toomanyboats,
I don't know for sure but I would imagine that because you are only adding about 40% water there is plenty of room for expansion when frozen.
According to Slimes website their sealant doesn't freeze.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With a 8km hike Stringy I can imagine you might get the odd puncture. We keep our tyres almost flat but you must need to inflate them substantially to reduce the considerable tyre drag......Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
Pirate,
I already insert the cart with either tyres one handed. I am not interested in making the cart any heavier as I wheel my kayak about 8km each week and have to go up some very steep hills. :?
If you knew how much water you added to each tyre then substituting that quantity with a slightly less quantity of sealant (as it has a higher SG than water) should have the same effect.

8KM's!
Surely this would justify the Sand Yacht upgrade discussed in a different thread on here. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next