Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from a far
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a quick post to say hi and thanks to those who have provided so much info to read through and in some ways confuse me even more and in others way make certain I am going to purchase an AI asap.

Ive been reading a lot about the AI after I came across it while looking into purchasing a kayak and pretty much decided there and then it was the mode of fun for me but have pretty much told myself to hold off till April/May next year when the weather turns back into spring/summer for me.

I am particularly reassured by some of the posts about using the AI in rough waters as if i had to wait for calm days i would probably only be able to us it 5 days a year.

I do have 101 questions but to start of with I was looking to find out what sort of things I should be looking out for while purchasing an AI. Not sure how much it influences my choices but my location is the middle of the north sea/Atlantic on an Island called Shetland.

Shetland, UK
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Shetland&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=16.889907,34.101563&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=7&iwloc=A

Most of the time I would be using it in sea water bays with some exposed open water which can see up to 30m waves, all though i doubt i would be going for a paddle on those days ;)

What sort of extras should i be thinking of purchasing along with the AI and what equipment I can get away with buying over time?
What is the max wind speed you would consider going out in? ( as a novice to begin with for now )
Is this an all year sport? some of the nicest day we get up here can be in December but obviously also the coldest of days with wind chill around -3 but sea temps at +3.

and feel free to add any other info you feel would help out, as I say I am more or less a complete novice so any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance Michael

Quote:
Got ants in my pants and I need to dance

Post subject: Re: Hello from a far
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First, LIFE INSURANCE !

30m waves
:shock:

would I be out of line to say, THE BOAT IS NOT MADE FOR THAT! :o
ok, now that I got that out of my system...

For safety gear, I carry:
an EPIRB
a Marine radio (and Family radio if I'm with others to talk)
a leash for everything, including a surfboard leash for Me!
a hand pump and sponge
a throw-rope bag (and bow line)
a flashlight and an emergency strobe lite (Signal Miror)
full tool kit (http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8424&highlight=)
spare parts (http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=10418&highlight=)
first aid kit
a spare paddle (single for me) and a spare Mirage drive
2x the drinking water I think I'll need (Camelback)
extra change of cloths and wind breaker to cover up with, space blanket
extra snacks

Many, many AI mods: (http://www.kayakingbob.com/hobie-ai)

Good luck, (I hope we hear from you again after the madden voyage!) :roll:

Last edited by KayakingBob on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply and info and yeah I wont be tackling the 30m wave straight away at least ;)

this is more the sort of conditions i see myself going out on maybe slightly choppier than that at times

Thanks Michael

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you ever get this mission off the ground Twerto, could you please sail across (or down) to Sanday Island to check the security of my small holding of land I long ago purchased there?... I am sure it would be a memorable trip to tell your grandkids.....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hurray! Another Scot! Welcome! (although they are pretty much vikings up there)

If you fancy a test pedal I'm probably the closest, in Glasgow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Cosybike!

I will let you know if i ever make it down to the mainland anytime soon.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't forget to check my block out on your way past Sanday Island Twerto and you are welcome to camp on it anytime (just push the crabs out the way). I thing with global warming it may be a little under the water by now.Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

lol kewlio thanks, I will make sure I carry my cooking pot too so I can recharge my batteries by eating afore mentioned crabs ;)

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As someone who has yet to pruchase I have a few things im trying to settle in my head first before letting go of so much money.

Are ex demos just as good as new ie worth the £800 you can save? ( generally i like to buy from new then if soemthing goes wrong i can blame someone :P )

With what I can see of this season pretty much over, is it worth waiting for the release of 2010 model?

What is the life expectencey of an AI? ( i acknowledge this is mainly down to how it is used and treated ) but how long should i expect to get use out of it before any major refurbs like a new sail etc?

Another decision i cant quite decide on is weather to go for a single or a tandem ( when they are released ) I will be the only person in my area with one of these and i expect friends will be keen for a go and who ever knows I might even spark of a club once people experince the fun of them. So my thinking is go for a tandem for the occasion i want to take people out for fun rides but will this spoil my fun for when i go out on solo runs?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This post and the replys are incredibly helpful to me as one who is also on the verge of buying my first AI (also my first kayak) . Thanks to all! I too am trying to decide whether to buy a 2010 AI now or wait until next early 2010 to buy; our 2009 sailing season will be over by the time I can recieve an AI and trailer here in northern New Mexico and the 2010 sailing season here won't realisticly begin until April at the earliest. The many changes to the AI detailed in the responses to this post, together with the process of accumulating and organizing all of the safefy, repair, replacement, etc. items recommended here could well take me considerable time. Does anyone have experience here to offer (I still work full time)? Any input about buying one of the first 2010's vs one likely built a few months into the 2010 production run? Thanks in advance for any and all input. Oh, one more item, don't AI sailers attach and use what I call a painter to the bow of your boats, or is some other device used to tie-up the AI? If a painter is used, what's involved?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Twerto-I may not be a technocologist about sailing... but I`ve pushed the Mirage drive pretty hard and recommend(sp) it. As for everything else? Pin failures? Rudder too small? Better handles? All superficial stuff. If you can afford the boat -Im sure there isnt a sailor here to dissuade you.

P.S....Nice taste in music :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

elklo wrote:
Oh, one more item, don't AI sailers attach and use what I call a painter to the bow of your boats, or is some other device used to tie-up the AI? If a painter is used, what's involved?

I have a painter on mine, I have attached it to the eye that the lifting handle is attached to on the bows. It is 3 metres long approx and I have a carabina on the end that I attach to my anchor trolley (or anything else) and then run the trolley towards the stern to tension the painter.
I also carry another 3 metre line with carabinas each end, that I can attach to it to give it a good length, should it need to be towed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks all for the continued support, Ive pretty much decided ( unless my patience gives way ) to hold off till the 2010 model is out and hopefully more info for the tandem has been released.

@ Aledal. if you like the music then check out moodyman as well ( has plenty of chilled out mixes floating around the web ) ;)

Quote: