Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI huli w/ new Tramps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Couln't find the old thread on the tramps so just started a new one.

Last weekend was coming back into Haleiwa harbor after a day of fishing. It had been a 15-20 mph wind day so I had to tack for about 45 minutes to get to the harbor mouth. Was relieved to feel the calm at the harbor mouth. Unbuckled my PFD but left it on. Was sailing and peddling in and hooked up and landed. Continued peddling in when a gust of wind came in...no big deal...but I hulied/flipped. WTF. I had been tacking into much harder winds outside for the past hour or so and I hulied in the harbor? My fishing friend saw the whole thing. The only thing different from all the other times I've been out was that I was was using my trampoline for the second time. I concluded that a gust of wind came in and in conjunction with a small wave that picked up my ama slightly used my trampoline like a wing and flipped me over really easily. My friend later agreed and that he heard a loud flapping sound and saw me huli in slow-motion. I just wanted to put this out there for discussion.

Steve

Last edited by Mongoose on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow. First account I have read of an actual capsize Steve. Several contributors here have reported to having got a bit of a fright when the wind apparently got under their windward tramp and lift the rig up. Did you have much trouble getting the AI upright again?...Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mongoose wrote:
Last weekend was coming back into Haleiwa harbor after a day of fishing. It had been a 15-20 mph wind day so I had to tack for about 45 minutes to get to the harbor mouth. Was relieved to feel the calm at the harbor mouth. Unbuckled my PDF but left it on. Was sailing and peddling in and hooked up and landed. Continued peddling in when a gust of wind came in...no big deal...but I hulied/flipped. WTF. I had been tacking into much harder winds outside for the past hour or so and I hulied in the harbor? My fishing friend saw the whole thing. The only thing different from all the other times I've been out was that I was was using my trampoline for the second time. I concluded that a gust of wind came in and in conjunction with a small wave that picked up my ama slightly used my trampoline like a wing and flipped me over really easily. My friend later agreed and that he heard a loud flapping sound and saw me huli in slow-motion. I just wanted to put this out there for discussion. Steve

Hi Steve
- Thanks for your post. Wow, I never thought an AI could huli!
- I'll relate some effects I suspect, but am not sure about, regarding tramps in strong winds of 15 knots and more when not hiking out on the windward tramp. One effect is that the tramps seems to steal wind from the sail and slow the AI down. A second effect is that the tramp seems to hinder steerage because it is grabbing wind.
- Maybe I'm just imagining these effects or not sailing well. I'd like to see what others are experiencing with tramps in strong winds.
---- Al K

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the post, Steve. Intuitively, one has to think that the tramps might cause problems in some winds. I, for one, am not sold on the tramps--too large. I think Hobie should come out with some 0.5 tramps--half the current width or even less.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pirate, i did not have a hard time uprighting the AI provided the wind is in your favor. just step on the ama and grab the dagger board or mirage fins and pull...hopefully the wind will aid in the uprighting. Knew this from a guy who was surfing his AI in waves once...

Chekika, i liked the convenience of the tramps to put all my fishing gear on like a work table. Super handy. A while ago, before the Hobie tramps, I made one out of a truck tailgate cargo net. It is half the width of the Hobie ones and the net doesn't catch wind. I am going back to that one for now. It's stong because it's a cargo net.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting consequences that Hobie may have not envisaged. Certainly I did not and only decided to go my own way and build my own half-width tramps to build in Bob Conlon's spray deflectors and also allow me to paddle when I wanted. I really do need to get out there in a blow and test mine to see if they have any undesirable tendancies....Pirate :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mongoose wrote:
Pirate, i did not have a hard time uprighting the AI provided the wind is in your favor. just step on the ama and grab the dagger board or mirage fins and pull...hopefully the wind will aid in the uprighting. Knew this from a guy who was surfing his AI in waves once...

I thought one needed to collapse/fold one of the amas into the main hull and upright the boat with the open ama - rotating the boat around the collapsed ama.

That was the suggested method in Island manual. But, Hobie needs to revise that if tramps are being used. You can't collapse the ama with the tramps installed without first detaching the tramp on the side you wish to collapse.

All this stuff is important to consider, as time might be an issue while treading water next to a capsized Island. Could be interesting if tramps and sail both "grab air" while righting the boat in say a 25knt wind. :shock:

After a few trips with my tramps I did notice the rudder was a little less responsive, but otherwise boat handled just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well I did it
Or Rather My neighbor did it
We were sailing down wind and she flipped the flipping AI.

Yes the wind was 15 MPH.

Yes there were some 2 ft waves.

Yes this was only her second time out.

But I couldn't believe it.

We were headed down wind
I think the wave pushed her sidewise
Then the wind caught her sail.
Then she leaned the wrong way.
And over she went.

I couldn't believe it.

She said she had a little problem getting out from under the trampolines
Maybe Hobie could paint some arrows that say this way to EXIT :lol:
She was wearing waders and a storm jacket
They filled up with water.
So I dragged her onto my boat and sorted her out.

Then I swam over to the flippen flipped AI.
I remembered reading how one of you guys had righted your rig before.
So I stood on the ama and grabbed the daggerboard It did not work. :(
I had to unbuckle the trampoline and retract the opposite ama before it would work.
Standing on the ama and grabbing the daggerboard then the mirage drive flippers
Slowly it righted itself with the sails flapping in the wind
The boat could have started sailing off by itself at that point.
Glad it was pointed into the wind.

So she wasn't into sailing anymore after that
She motored all of the way back.

The water or something killed the motor on the flipped boat so i sailed back
I was faster sailing into the wind than she was so i went back several times
To be supportive :lol:
She was cold and wet but she is alright

I lost an expensive VHF radio :evil:
Of course I still have to figure out the torqeedo :evil:

The only info I had on uprighting the AI was viewed here and it worked
Thanks for saving my ***
:D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations on coping so well with a difficult situation LBYak. Half-width tramps are sounding more and more appealing,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

forgot to mention that when i flipped the sail landed in the water and did not go under (it was not a total capsized, fully over, situation). One ama was in the water and the sail was on the surface of the water. that's why i may have had an easier time uprighting my AI.

if it was a total capsize situation (two amas and hull in water and upsidedown) then maybe the ama would have to be retracted also (sail also?).

steve