Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I took the TI solo for its maiden voyage out of Hilo Bay this past Saturday.

Loading and unloading from the top of my truck racks solo wasn’t easy but manageable with the Hobie HD cart and a 2’x3’ piece of carpet to help protect the stern. I considered it a small sacrifice when compared to not having to deal with a trailer and the added capability of the TI in the water. I’ll post the details of my loading/unloading technique in the “Transportation/Storage” section.

Winds were in the gusty 10-20mph and swells were 3-4’. I was seated in the rear and rigged up as I would for fishing with mounted rod holders and cooler/gear/fishbag in the front seat which also added some ballast.

I’m not new to boating and kayaking but first time sailing under my own control and found the furling and sailing lines relatively easy to operate. The furling line however seems a bit short when operating from the rear seat and could not unfurl the sail completely without losing the furling line to the front. I ended up keeping it at ¾ sail since it was windy so the short line sufficed for the day. But it did seem a bit thin to comfortably handle. And so I plan to upgrade it to a longer/thicker line and possibly configure a Harken block and cleat combination to improve its operation from the rear seat.

I’ve been notified by my outfitter (Plenty Pupule) that there was an issue with the aka locking mechanism failing. And so I went ahead and used bungees to help hold them in place. However they didn’t quite hold when I was outside the break wall in ama burying conditions. I heard a “pop” and all of a sudden the TI was about to flip over. When the TI was at about 45 degrees, I managed to release and unfurl the sail to return to boat to its righted position. But, it was a scary situation when out in moderate Hawaiian conditions.

To reinsert the aka into the cross member while at sea, I steered into the waves. Brought the ama in to the side of the boat and inserted the aka into the cross member while the knuckle joint was bent about 90 degrees. Then it was a matter of extending the ama out as usual.

There seems to be a lot of stress that had a tendency to pull the amas away from the boat than perceived. So the use of bungees to help prevent the akas from slipping out of its cross member wasn’t the best of ideas. I should have used rated line to lash the akas to its crossmember. Hope to receive the fix soon but it does make me wonder if the fix will be enough to prevent the locking mechanism from failing. And if a modification/addition of a securing pin or lashing will be recommended before heading out into rough conditions.

I was impressed with overall operation of the TI. It was so fast that my swim lure action was thrown out of whack and didn’t draw a strike. I’ll probably have to switch to trolling lures rated for higher speeds. In 10-20mph winds and sail ¾ full, I was registering an easy 5-6mph with occasional higher speeds on my fish finder. I did have the aka pop out a second time on my way in; but, my reaction was much quicker and got back underway relatively quicker. Despite the aka issue, it made for a great day of sailing. I highly recommend sailing it solo. I thank Hobie for making this experience possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsTFA9q0QG0

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great review! Looks like you are going fast in the video! I agree about the speed being too fast for some lures. I use ballyhoo with small sailing lure heads in front. I felt the AI was a little too slow for normal Hawaiian lures, but the Tandem might be perfect for those!

Can't wait to hear more!

JG

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that cliffs2yak! 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:58 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

cliffs2yak wrote:
The furling line however seems a bit short when operating from the rear seat and could not unfurl the sail completely without losing the furling line to the front.
Tie the bitter end of the furling line to the bitter end of the mainsheet and you'll never run out of furling line.
Quote:
So the use of bungees to help prevent the akas from slipping out of its cross member wasn’t the best of ideas. I should have used rated line to lash the akas to its crossmember.
I agree, bungees are insufficient. Easiest fix is to tie off one aka directly against its opposite once installed and erected. They won't go anywhere. Spectra works great for this. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roadrunner wrote:
cliffs2yak wrote:
The furling line however seems a bit short when operating from the rear seat and could not unfurl the sail completely without losing the furling line to the front.
Tie the bitter end of the furling line to the bitter end of the mainsheet and you'll never run out of furling line.
Quote:
So the use of bungees to help prevent the akas from slipping out of its cross member wasn’t the best of ideas. I should have used rated line to lash the akas to its crossmember.
I agree, bungees are insufficient. Easiest fix is to tie off one aka directly against its opposite once installed and erected. They won't go anywhere. Spectra works great for this. 8)

do you have a pic of this bob?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roadrunner,

Thanks for the great ideas!

Quote:

Definitely worth a try. Any recommendations on knots to use?

Quote:
I agree, bungees are insufficient. Easiest fix is to tie off one aka directly against its opposite once installed and erected. They won't go anywhere. Spectra works great for this.

I had to learn the hard way. Before my next run, I plan to tie from where the aka's are inserted into the knuckle assembly to the opposite side of the same and don't think it'll affect the operation of the knuckle joint. Looks to be a good way assure that the aka's stay in place even after the fix.

Aloha,

c2y

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is what I did, works well for me with quick disconnect if I need to remove the aka:

And for the reefing line, I tie a permanent loop in end(s) of the sheetline and then attach the reefing line with a few half-hitches:

Your setup is looking good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:33 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Bob, I like your system better, with the quick disconnect/reconnect. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Reconlon,

Looks like a better way to tie the aka to prevent it from slipping out. Did you also do something similar to the front aka's? Planning on heading to West Marine in Honolulu this week to pick up some supplies. Hope to be able to take another run this comming weekend.

Thanks all for the great inputs.

c2y

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cliffs2yak wrote:
Looks like a better way to tie the aka to prevent it from slipping out. Did you also do something similar to the front aka's?

Nope, on the front I use the best aka retainer that also keep you dryer.... Sprayskirts! 8)
The front aka are going nowhere. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Reconlon,

Nice! :D

c2y

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's amazing what you guys come up with in so little time :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any estimates on how well the TI points? Any fancy measurements? :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JollyGreen wrote:
It's amazing what you guys come up with in so little time :)

What you said JollyGreen! :)
I've been reading all these early experiences with the TAI with great interest in anticipation of mine arriving.
Got the call today-Woohoo! :D
Just got back from the dealer with the TAI. It even fitted OK (disassembled) on my trailer.
Can't wait to put it in the water.
Thanks cliffs2yak, Bob and Roadrunner for the heads up and great solution! 8)
I shall implement it immediately.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, we await what you will come up with to add to the mods, and comments.