Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

While visiting my local Hobie retailer (Avon Sailboats in Rochester Hills, MI) I was looking over the latest model of the Adventure Island and was surprised to discover the new Mirage drive lock-down clamp mechanisms added for 2009. Very cool. And since I am the current owner of two AI's, I was ready to pop for the retrofit upgrade so I could stop jacking around with those lame black plastic twist-lock knobs that previous AI's use to lock down their Mirage drives. Imagine my intense disappointment to discover the new lock-down clamps (sorry, I don't know their official name and could not find them in the Hobie parts catalog), are NOT Backwards Compatible!! What a bummer. This is the first time during my three years of ownership that a new innovation added to the AI has not been made backwards compatible. I am writing to urge Hobie to correct this oversight. We current owners who are willing to make the ongoing investment in our yaks should be able to add newly developed upgrades as they occur. If you feel the same way and respond here, maybe Hobie will get the hint. I love my AI's and want to keep them as up-to-date as possible...don't you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Click-N-Go

This is not possible to retrofit as the hull mold had to be modified to accept the new hardware. The area it rests on is lower to keep the drum Axel at the original height. The attachment to the hull is also quite different.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's a hull of a good reason. Sad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ya, the click-n-go is an improvement, but I have 2 Sports, and Outback & one older Island all using the older cam-locks; they still do the job just fine. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wouldn't sweat it much, the "click&go" system is not THAT great, mine has to be re-clicked several times per trip, although I can do it now at the first sign of wobble with either heel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mcoop57 wrote:
I wouldn't sweat it much, the "click&go" system is not THAT great, mine has to be re-clicked several times per trip, although I can do it now at the first sign of wobble with either heel.

Is it possible your mirage drive does not have the correct drum shaft?

The older drum shaft will rotate in the click-n-go causing it to unlatch while in use; newer drum shaft has splines in the center preventing rotation.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12867

I have accidentally de-latched the drive by hitting the latch with my foot, but catch it right away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakaholic wrote:
mcoop57 wrote:

Is it possible your mirage drive does not have the correct drum shaft?

The older drum shaft will rotate in the click-n-go causing it to unlatch while in use; newer drum shaft has splines in the center preventing rotation.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12867

I have accidentally de-latched the drive by hitting the latch with my foot, but catch it right away.

Yak, both Mickey and I have experienced the same problemm which if left unchecked can quickly end in a total jam of the system that then requires lots of brute force...Pirate :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pirate; a couple of weeks ago Greg and I (from myadventureisland.com) were caught in a very brief and very intense storm near Destin Florida, when the weather cleared BOTH of our Mirage drives had "jammed", (with pedals leaned to the port side), which took some "finesse" to get released. I really have no idea what happened although it was a fairly shallow area. Two '09 hulls with the same quirk at the same time....hmmm?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mcoop57 wrote:
Pirate; a couple of weeks ago Greg and I (from myadventureisland.com) were caught in a very brief and very intense storm near Destin Florida, when the weather cleared BOTH of our Mirage drives had "jammed", (with pedals leaned to the port side), which took some "finesse" to get released. I really have no idea what happened although it was a fairly shallow area. Two '09 hulls with the same quirk at the same time....hmmm?

The amazing thing is - it's contagious!!
Pirate jammed his and when I wen tcloser to him to enquire as to what the problem was he told me his drive was jammed. I said mine seemed fine - then lo & behold mine jammed too!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :( :(

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Too true Mickey. It is a weakness in the system that needs to be looked at by Hobie...Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Weird, mine has never jammed! I've put over 200 miles on it too, in some rough conditions. Do you guys have 2009 AIs or do you have upgraded drives?

Is it possible that you guys are kicking the locks loose and they are getting jammed after that? I've never kicked a lock loose, maybe because I have my pedals in the "7" position because I am tall.

Interesting though, hopefully it doesn't happen to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sadly I also have experienced the jammed click-n-go mirage drive
I can't even unjam them with out major force
they seem to pop out of one side and I cant get the other side to release
I have an old and a new drive set but they are easy to tell apart
so I do not think I am swapping them inadvertently
I felt a bit thwarted by them to the point I was going to take a picture
to share with our empyreal congregation.
Seems you have beaten me to the punch
in fact it would appear that before I can generate a reasonable snivel
you guys have already started a full fledge whine

I do not have a fix
all I do is bang at the locked-up side with a wrench
Hmm not much finesse
and they do sometimes just pop out when peddling
still love the boat though :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JollyGreen wrote:
Weird, mine has never jammed! I've put over 200 miles on it too, in some rough conditions. Do you guys have 2009 AIs or do you have upgraded drives?

Is it possible that you guys are kicking the locks loose and they are getting jammed after that? I've never kicked a lock loose, maybe because I have my pedals in the "7" position because I am tall.

Interesting though, hopefully it doesn't happen to me.

You are correct that it only happens if you inadvertently kick one side off, always whilst heavy weather sailing. As LBYak states, only brute force seems to fix it. I have had it twice but now very alert to it and soon as I feel a wobble in the drive, I check and re-lock it before it moves into total lock. I too love the AI....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I'm sure we have Hobie's attention now - :P

I wouldn't assume that just because you got a new drive along with your click-n-go hull type that it has the correct drum shaft. The old style has completely rounded ends and the new style has beveled ends that are cut flat on the ends along with the required splines.

It does sound like kicking them loose is an issue. Reaching forward to grab the yellow furling line has my foot close to the latch. Which is when a accidentally kicked the starboard latch open.

Perhaps a simple fix is to design a rubber cap that fits over the lever, effectively protecting it from accidental release. Another thought is to add a thumb release pin on each of the latches to prevent accidental un-latching.

It sure is very convenient the way it works now. So far I have not suffered from a jammed drive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone noticed the click and go being a bit temperamental? I tried clicking and going on the stand a day or so a go, not exactly the smooth operation I was expecting! infact I had to jiggle and wiggle, take out and start again, to get the axle deep enough to lock...

I tried clicking and going a few times, every time it was a bit of a palava........ :?