Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow Roadrunner! :shock:
You should be on Hobie's R&D team!
I haven't had a problem with accidentally unlocking the drives but my heels sit in the footwell level with the CnG. I can see how those with longer legs may loosen the cam.
Great groundbreaking work. Nicely done! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:30 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thanks stringy! But after thinking about it some more, I think there is a better solution that allows the use of the original Nylon covers and has a more finished appearance.

Using the same cap screw, I located a spot on the upper outboard side of the locking lever. This did require a little modification of the C & G frame. In the pic below, a threaded hole is drilled (green) on the lever below any spring interference. A slightly larger notch is cut out on the frame (red) to receive the screw when locked.

Here's what it looks like assembled and locked / unlocked:
Image Image

It turns out there is a knob available for cap screws -- That's one of the reasons I stayed with this size. I even found it at Home Depot in matching color and texture! It's a press-on fit right over the "cap". This is what it looks like from the side:

A couple of miscellaneous notes:
1. The locking cap screw has to be removed to install the C & G unit, so the end thread can't be crimped. But since the Nylon handle is also partially threaded, it acts like a Nyloc nut. The screw can still be hand operated but it is not free to roam in and out, so it shouldn't wander out of position.

2. a Dremel tool with high speed tungsten cutting bit did the notch work.

If Hobie ever feels the need, this would be a very easy mod for them to set up. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gee, i thought my AI was outmoded but now I'm glad i have the trouble-free old Cam-loks, never had a prob wiv 'em.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Went for a sail in a strong 20-25knot wind on the weekend. After about 20 mins of sailing i noticed that my drive was not sitting correctly. Basically had the same issue as above with one side coming out and getting stuck behind the lock'n'go. Looks like a good fix you have made there Roadrunner!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually I was out fishing and went to change location to another fishless wasteland and as I pedaled off the drive went sideways and got stuck. Needed some gentle prodding with a multitool to free it up.
I think I must have knocked it while anchored.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was going around a big group of sea kayakers trying to look cool when mine jammed,, :oops: after paddling nearby to Garden Island to check it out (its a navy island and they have the option of shooting you if they decide you are a threat)

Anyway all the pulling in the world did not help, what did help was a pair of pliers or screw driver and i gently push on the bottom of the locked cam and out she came as easy as pie,then it was just a matter of reinserting,,that was a few months ago and never been a problem since,,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Shorty wrote:
I was going around a big group of sea kayakers trying to look cool when mine jammed,, :oops: after paddling nearby to Garden Island to check it out (its a navy island and they have the option of shooting you if they decide you are a threat)

Anyway all the pulling in the world did not help, what did help was a pair of pliers or screw driver and i gently push on the bottom of the locked cam and out she came as easy as pie,then it was just a matter of reinserting,,that was a few months ago and never been a problem since,,

damn navy! My folks had a beach house on Garden island before it was converted into a naval base. I also slept in one of the caves at the far end as a kid, something i would not recommend after finding tigersnake skins in the morning!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChaosDave wrote:
Shorty wrote:

damn navy! My folks had a beach house on Garden island before it was converted into a naval base. I also slept in one of the caves at the far end as a kid, something i would not recommend after finding tigersnake skins in the morning!

Wow, can understand being upset about leaving. Very nice place. I lived there for a few months as my first navy posting. I remember getting the keys for the gate and going up the north end of the island to swim. Like a private little paradise. It's boat only access to most of the beaches and I remember the crayfish walking about within arms reach as I swam over the top. They were lucky it was a marine park otherwise I'd have had a big pot going...

Funny story- I was duty one day in the galley and the Leading Hand Cook told me we had to to a seagull patrol along the causeway. Thought he was joking until he rolled up in a ute and told me to get in the back. Yep, had to walk the 4km causeway picking up dead seagulls. Not very navy like to have roadkill on the main road into the base :lol: