Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi

I was interested in the comments about the dagger board/ mirage drive as dagger board. I was out today in 10 - 15 knots of wind and trying to experiment with the mirage drive up or straight down. I didn't think it affected speed much but I did think that the AI pointed better with the drive down acting as a centreboard in addition to the dagger board. Hadn't thought of not having the dagger board at all.

I'm assuming others have played around with this and would be interested in any opinions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I sail with the dagger board and drive in at all times. I intend to sail with the pedals at half stroke, which parks the fins at approx 60 degrees from vertical. Seems to be a good compromise. I have noticed with the ST fins fitted that if you park them flat against the hull at speed, I get a flutter on the rudder (turbulence?).

I sailed it as a Kayak for the first time last weekend, without the sail or amas. I noticed how it would steer by just leaning without using the rudder. Which made me wonder if it tried to steer when leaning over on one amas, which presumably would mean the rudder would have to compensate, causing drag.
I am considering experimenting with making the amas adjustable (simple packing discs where the arms go into the amas) and experiment with how much of a gap there should be between the float and the water

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well...if you`re going to push me lol
I tried all kinds of aluminum tubes at three stores. Just felt using a round tube would weaken eventually at the point where it is bolted to the cleat.
For similar reasons I rejected steel as well.I could write a book on the subject.
In the end, I used 1/2" square steel stock. I removed the cleats and inserted 5/16" Rod Coupling Nuts into the collar of the cleat and screwed them back in to the hull. I secured the handles to the cleats using long threaded 5/16" bolts/lock washers. I secured the bolts below deck with wing nuts/large washers. Painted everything with Rustoleum and sealed off the ends with Liquid Nails. If it corrodes the project is easy to redo in no time.
The grip isnt perfect but its comfortable and very secure. Went out in rough weather several times and it felt safe having something to grip on to. It also helps you counter-balance against the boats tilting/jolting movement when getting hit with larger parallel waves... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rokraider wrote:
I sail with the dagger board and drive in at all times. I intend to sail with the pedals at half stroke, which parks the fins at approx 60 degrees from vertical. Seems to be a good compromise. I have noticed with the ST fins fitted that if you park them flat against the hull at speed, I get a flutter on the rudder (turbulence?).

Quote:
I sailed it as a Kayak for the first time last weekend, without the sail or amas. I noticed how it would steer by just leaning without using the rudder. Which made me wonder if it tried to steer when leaning over on one amas, which presumably would mean the rudder would have to compensate, causing drag.
I am considering experimenting with making the amas adjustable (simple packing discs where the arms go into the amas) and experiment with how much of a gap there should be between the float and the water

Hi Rok-interesting stuff. Never even tried leaning to steer. As for the board -I`ve left it out the last few trips in rough weather and I did seem to notice more sideways motion having to keep the rudder turned fully to either side to compensate. In calmer water I think I will still leave it out.Interesting idea about the Ama heights... maybe Hobies tech people can answer that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
Well come on Aledal and tell us about your new design. What material are the bars made out of, and can they sustain a full lift?......Pirate :wink:

Yep-you can lift the boat no problem-but they`re really meant for keeping balance in rough weather Pirate

PS-watching the posts on the daggerboards effect it brings me back to my original point that the Island could use a larger rudder.