Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i live on an island, in a bay, about 4km by river upstream of the open ocean.

but getting to the ocean to go fishing by AI takes hours, depending on current. at present, i have a 5m kayak (viking tempo) with a 3.5 hp motor mounted. it goes fine.

however, id like to fish the open water in the AI, not the tempo. and i want to be able to get there quickly. i have thought about towing the AI with the tempo, then swapping boats when i get there...but that would be a bit of a logistical drama.....

so my idea is to rig up some sort of transom to go on one of the amas of the AI. then i could use the motor to get there and back, and sail and pedal when fishing in the ocean.

i realise that it may void parts of my warranty. but who cares, as long as it works!!!

has this been done before? any ideas on HOW it could be done? please dont say it CANT be done, because it CAN!!

i realise that the motor would put stress on the pins that connect the amas.....they may bend over time....so i would need to replace them occasionally. but the stresses involved in sailing in 25kt winds in rough seas, compares to running an outboard on flat water. i contend that the motor on flat water, driven carefully would be less stressful on the same parts!!!

id love to hear some engineering ideas on how to attach a small transom to the middle of the rear ama......

cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There must be various reasons how this could benefit users of the AI and Tandem.

Surely the Aka Bars must be strong enough to handle the forces involved. I agree that the forces involved would not compare to some of the sailing I've seen on youtube!

Unsure what the regs are re. 2 stroke outboards where you are, but a 3.5 2 stroke Tohatsu weighs just 13kg. How about this type of setup. I would lock the turning pin on the outboard and use the hobies own rudder for steering. I imagine it would have some speed!

motormount

NEW – Motor/Cargo Platform for 58-inch Pole Spacing
This motor mount is available for Easy Rider’s 2G & 3G CR-kayaks (single & double). It can be used with motors up to 2 HP. This motor mount incorporates a cargo platform, which is designed to carry fishing gear, picnic coolers etc. and can support up to 200 pounds. Made of high-quality wood.
#2208M Motor/Cargo Platform for 58-inch Pole Spacing – $375
NOTE: Price includes all hardware for mounting.
http://www.easyriderkayaks.com/newproducts.htm

Is it a product Hobie have thought of developing? I imagine it would be popular over the pond.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

look forward to seeing this in action, i have thought about doing something similar for ages.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It could be simplier for you to drive closer to the ocean and launch from there with the AI on tow or car topped.

That way, you don't have to mount an outboard motor.