Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Yakaholic wrote:
The other really interesting difference is the diagonal aka braces on the new tandem are backwards to how the Island is set up. :?: On the Island the braces are in the way of the tramps. On the tandem the brace location puts them out of the way. Wonder if that reduces any accidental ama collapses?

I believe it is mostly related to being able to deploy and retract the amas from the aft seat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Yakaholic wrote:
The other really interesting difference is the diagonal aka braces on the new tandem are backwards to how the Island is set up. :?: On the Island the braces are in the way of the tramps. On the tandem the brace location puts them out of the way. Wonder if that reduces any accidental ama collapses?

I believe it is mostly related to being able to deploy and retract the amas from the aft seat.

Ahh... of course! Makes sense. Nice side benefit is tramp usage does not bother the braces. Hobie engineering! It is so much fun to look at the creativity of it all.

Having the front passenger hike out on a tramp while the rear person drives the boat - cool.

More I see more I like - :lol:

Last edited by Yakaholic on Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is that two new rod holders opposite the cup holders between the net pocket and the tiller at each seat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
Is that two new rod holders opposite the cup holders between the net pocket and the tiller at each seat.

Bob I think the 2 pole holders are behind the rear seat in same location as Island's rod holders. They have black caps.

They list 4 cup holders maybe one behind each pouch?

There are also 2 curious holes in the rear drive well just in front of the drive and behind the back of the front seat - they look like another pair of scupper holes.?? :?: They are neither rod holders nor cup holders. :?

Perhaps the 2nd set of scupper holes is so you can use insert 2 carts to roll this puppy down to the water - Ha. Or just support for the front seat.

The normal placement of the cart in the most aft located supper holes will mean a great deal of weight will be left in the front for the user to lift while he rolls down to the water.

Last edited by Yakaholic on Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's another comparison:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work Bob and Yak! 8)
If the tramps from the AI fit the Tandem that's a bonus.
Can Matt confirm this?
Also, I was hoping the Dune colour would be an option, especially after the results from the survey.
Any chance of this Matt?
And when will Roadrunner be given one for a review? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:50 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Wow, the new boat looks totally cool -- beautiful lines! Bob and Yak, great overlays and analyses. You can see lots of subtle changes in the new boat.

The larger bilge board, located further aft should change the way the boat handles and tacks. The board also appears to be entirely clear of the cockpit for more operating space. Looking at the Hobie pics, the deeper hull, along with forward position of the amas should make the boat drier and less bow-heavy going into swells.

Note the dual rudder controls look redesigned and a little larger. The quad built-in grips should make handling the larger girth easier. No doubt, the new dual sheeted sail will likely be triple purchased to compensate for its 50% larger size.

It looks like the boat can be skippered from either cockpit -- what a great crew concept and exciting prospectus for solo sailing when your "crew" is not available!

Yak, if you're right about the dual cart scuppers, the front set would make for effortless rolling transport and perhaps the rear set could be used as some sort of loading aid, especially since Matt says it can be car topped. It looks like Hobie has put some thought into this process as they did with the Pro Angler.

I'm looking forward to seeing this new "snap release" aka design.

It looks like Hobie has really scrutinized the AI when designing the tandem. I'm certainly excited and available for "testing" immediately! :wink:

PS This looks like it ought to be fast as a pedaling tandem and an ideal expedition kayak as well!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This Adventure Island Tandem calls to mind the introduction of the Hobie 16 as the boat that embodied the great qualities of its predecessor, the Hobie 14, and improved upon them. I remember clearly (as a 14 sailor) how many improvements the Hobie 16 had. For one thing, you could tack it much more easily than the 14. In the same way, the Tandem seems to have tweaked the AI concept and improved it in countless subtle ways. Can't wait to sail one....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Reconlon,

Thanks for the overlay image. I really like the big amas. This should help the boat ride over the short wave lengths here on Lake Erie.

I sailed catamarans when I was younger. Now the trimaran appeals to me. Plus I will be able to take my first mate along.

This is great news for Christmas!

Best wishes to all and looking forward to the Tandem Island in 2010 :D

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After a taste of sailing with the sail kit on both our 2000 Mirage and 2007 Sport, I look forward to real sailing performance with the Tandem Island. Once again I will be able to venture out on big Lake Erie. I wouldn't dare trying it with the Sport or Mirage. Having a sailboat that can stand up to Force 4 winds will make me a happy man.

Tom

Last edited by tomtrike on Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm quite excited about it as well! Looks like a fun fishing boat, especially now that you can legitimately take two people!

Definitely interested in the weight of the parts, so I can start looking for the best way to car/truck top it! :) Looks like less storage space for fish and bags, but I guess you could deploy the tramps to hold the full fish bag on the ride back.

Definitely looking to sail one!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So cool. Been waiting and waiting, hoping to get one next year. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wife says I am approved to buy!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Speed is related to hull length (water line) and the Tandem has more sail. No data on speed difference yet. Fastest when sailed solo though.

Looks like you would solo from the front seat, is that right?

Looks like a great boat! I think Hobie will sell a lot of these.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Are there any details on the new knuckle joints?
What about the rudder, were the rudders designed to eliminate any issues, or just made bigger? Is there now a larger plastic rudder pin?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next