Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

our day stated out fine we chose a dam to go to about 1.5hr away we new a good place to go to with a good set up area . The kid were excited the wife was looking forward to trying something new and i could not what any longer to try out the new AI,S . so we arived at the spot to a see a sea of ski boats about 2 to 300 hundred of them + twice as many people all jamed in this littel area there were boats every wear going this way and that so i decided that trying to teach my wife and kids hear was not to safe i should have known better being x-mas and all .Anyway we headed back to another dam closer to home no ski boats alowed only sail and non motor driven boats allowed had never been here before but what a good dam to sail in a way better choice as we were the only ones on the water . so i unloaded the AI.S set them up gave the wife a run down on the boat and while she was still having a play i set the tramps up on mine put the kid on pushed the wife out and followed her as she got used to padaling the kayak around and stering it in a straite line. then it stated to piss down rain and real heavy to the kid wanted to go home the wife lost intrest but decided to have fun anyway as once your wet your wet . once the peddaling was masted time to try sailing and this is were she got nervice while i had full sail out and the kids scraming go faster i got here to unfurll just a small bit so i could teach her how it all works with the sail and the wind ect after about half a hour i could see the white knuckles disapering and my wife stating to injoy the experence of learning something new and getting the hang of it as fear turns to joy so as the few hours of sailing ended it was time to pack up and go home. when i got home and cleaned up a few things and checked over the AI,S i noticed my boats noise was rubbing on the noise support on the trailer and had worn a flat spot on the under side of the noise on much thourght on the matter i decided to get rid of it alltogether as the AI,S seam to sit in the cradels just fine with out it what do u think ? so thats our first day out and yes were going again tomorro to .ImageImageImage this is the noise support bar i removed. cheers nicko :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AI man wrote:
i noticed my boats noise was rubbing on the noise support on the trailer and had worn a flat spot on the under side of the noise on much thourght on the matter i decided to get rid of it alltogether as the AI,S seam to sit in the cradels just fine with out it what do u think ?

Welcome Nicko,
Great to see you enjoying the AI's! 8)
As you are using the Hobie cradles you may not need the bow support.
My AI's are sitting on standard kayak cradles and need the bow support to prevent hull distortion.
I am using these black rubber bow blocks which I got from Bias boating and they work well:

BTW -I notice you are using ratchet straps to tie down your AI's. It's important not to overtighten them as that will cause hull distortion. I find cam lock straps just tightened snug work well. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good stuff. I remember my first time out it rained too. Still lots of fun though. Plus there's generally more room to park during bad weather... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Hobie twin AI trailer for our boats with the Hobie cradles and no bow support. I haven't noticed any distortion.

I agree w/the advice about ratchet straps. I put one on across both boats only for over the road travel and remove it immediately at my destination. I never tighten it very tight. It just needs to keep a couple of hundred pounds of boats from bouncing, and that doesn't take much force.