Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I had hoped to get more than one weekend in on the brand new TI to get some photos, but it's lousy photo weather here today ( raining) so I am limited to grabbing some entries just from what we got last weekend when we launched it for the first time.

Heck, if I had known there was a contest going on I would have tried to get some good pix! But, this is what we go so far...

" Hobie TI.... the only way to fly..!"

"Beaches can't hide from Hobies.."

"Heading home on the Hobie."

Last edited by Gringo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking at that location of yours Gringo, it looks impossible to take a bad shot. That first one is a ripper. Where abouts in the islands are you. I'm just having a search on Google Earth. ( this ignorant Aussie knows nothing about the Turks and Caicos Islands.)

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Looking at that location of yours Gringo, it looks impossible to take a bad shot. That first one is a ripper. Where abouts in the islands are you. I'm just having a search on Google Earth. ( this ignorant Aussie knows nothing about the Turks and Caicos Islands.)

We live on the south side of Providenciales, overlooking the Caicos Bank.
We took our Hobie i14t six miles out to another island, West Caicos, and back in June and that's the most distance we've been over open water in the inflatable.
Had the old style Drives, and they chose this trip to start coming apart on me. Fixed em with some shoestrings I found washed up on the beach. Some really nice clear water photos here, but of course I can't use any of them in the contest.
http://2gringos.blogspot.com/search/label/West%20Caicos

We have great hopes for the TI as a major step upwards.

I have been thinking about French Cay, which is 17 miles from here, over the horizon. Uninhabited. No Coast Guard here for help either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've really enjoyed reading your blog Gringo. What a place. Looks like there's another spot I need to add to the bucket list. Dooley certainly looks like a bundle of energy. I know what you mean about inquisitive. My pug is more the indoors, doesn't like to get his feet wet sort of dog. Although he is still a vicious hunter. A bit of dried spag bol left on a plate hasn't got a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well? What did he win?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't even a an Al but if I can win a rudder pin I am going to have to get some shots of someone! Since nobody knows what I look like this should be a piece of cake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

too late! too late!! nana nana nah naaah....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So how do we vote? By artist/title? Posted here or emailed?

Would be nice if the forum would allow the use of polls/surveys for something like this. The BBS software will do this.

BTW, I would have submitted some adorable AI/supermodel shots, if not for your clothing mandatory rule. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We managed to get our brandy new TI out again today for only the third time. Ah, but today, we had winds blowing 18-20 kts with gusts to 25 kts. We have a weather station that records all that stuff. We had a heck of a good time, and were generally too busy for a lot of photos although I did snap 20 or so, with a couple movies of a miserable dog.

And we learned some things.

This is how most of the afternoon looked from my seat:Image

First thing we learned was that the boat can handle 20 kts okay. We learned that the carbon mast will bend a lot. And if you notice my feet in the photo, you'll see I am using the mirage drive as a keel. And the thing we learned most? Well....see that little knob on the hull right next to the tramp?

We learned that if you pull that little knob aft, the boat will point into the wind a whole lot better, and you can relax your feet on the pedals and even push one forward. Of course, we didn't learn this little trick until we had been sailing like this for a couple hours.

Heck, next time I'll have to remember to check.

wind is supposed to pick up a bit tomorrow. We might go see what this 'reefing' line thing is all about.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well NOHUHU and Gringo, the year is over so I spose I'd better start a seperate thread for voting otherwise it will probably get too messy. It shouldn't be too late to post those unclothed shots NOHUHU ( as long as they are not males ). We can bend the rules.

Gringo - I'll tell you now, your photos will be voted down because the water is too blue and clean. They are too unnatural. You're pretty observant with the photos. I'm sure you would have also noticed that your 3rd toe nail on the left foot needs a little trim, and your spray skirt needs a bit more sun cream on her right shoulder. ( we all know why you really take the back seat mate )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK all. Competition is now closed. Your vote counts. viewtopic.php?f=71&t=33540&p=132897#p132897

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yakass wrote:
Actually it showed up as I was paddling along, so I just stopped, pulled out the camera and watched. It popped up beside me after last sighting it about 10 metres away, and it scared the jeebies out of me. Caught the event on vid to - enjoy (watch to the end to see the sequence of stills I got):
I'm looking forward to the next migration run, but trust me, I won;t be getting quite this close again if I can help it :-)

Yak,

Absolutely wonderful. Your courage is infectious. A Grand Event!

San Jose, California
TI - AUG- 2010

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9