Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I made with dumb mistake and didn't tie a figure 8 in the main sheet in the back of the boat. Of course I dropped the line and everything pulled loose. I looked at the manual and I can't figure out the routing. Is the a diagram or video for this?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=44488
Lots of info in the FAQ's.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, I think this will help nicely.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stringy wrote:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=44488
Lots of info in the FAQ's.

I'm looking for the same info... The rigging of the sail. I just bought a 2014 TI. It's not rigged the same as the picture. It looks like it has a slip knot up on the sail end of the rigging. It looks like you might use this slip knot to trim the sail down versus back. I'm trying to figure out how to sail this thing.... I'm a newbie to say the least.... I'm really surprised that there wasn't a AI sailing guide included.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I could upload a picture to show the difference in rigging.

Thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recall reading that the slipknot is only there for the transportation phase, and is not included in the finally rigged mainsheet. You should therefore be able to directly follow the instructions given, and undo the slipknot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tonystott wrote:
I recall reading that the slipknot is only there for the transportation phase, and is not included in the finally rigged mainsheet. You should therefore be able to directly follow the instructions given, and undo the slipknot

There's not indication in the instructions to remove the slip knot. I've gone through the instructions 10 times and just re-read them. :)

I'll look at it tomorrow to see what removing the slip knot will do. That knot actually provides functionality.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, once you have re-threaded the line, put a simple knot on each end (not a figure eight) so it cannot come apart again There should be no reason to unthread the line again unless replacing it (or end-for-ending it to spread wear on a well-used line - in which case simply cut one end off and tie a new simple knot after rethreading)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I untied the slip knot.

With it un-tied you can trim from the rear seat much easier. With it un-tied you have to worry about having slack in the sail line and another loose line to worry about. I did tie the forward and rear sail trim lines together with a simple knot. It's definitely a issue of trying to figure out what rigging configuration you're most comfortable with. I really wish they would have included the option to convert to either have the FULL rigging in front or rear seat. Meaning.... Having the option to have a roller up front and a jam cleat in back. That way you could convert it at will. I saw that some have made that mod on their AI's. I think I'll order the parts for that mod.

Thank you for your help!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think you have it right. Rigged properly, you can use the mainsheet from either seat, with no difference in operation at all.

Also it is probably best not to tie the mainsheet and furling line with a simple knot as this can become difficult to undo. I have simple knots on each end of the mainsheet, and then attach the furling line with a figure eight knot, pulling it tight. It stays put yet is easy to undo at the end of the sailing outing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nomadic1inFl :
By what your describing there is something wrong with your setup rigging. Normally the sail control line is a single line with two ends (around 40 ft long). The most typical setup (and what ships from the factory) is a 2 to 1 purchase (2 to 1 ratio on the line, so it can pull easy). You can be sitting in either the rear seat or the front seat and control the boat easily (my wife and I typically trade off driving when we are out). To thread the line you run thru the front harken block, around the front pully, thread the line thru the pulleys and guides to the back of the boat (the far back pully on the side of the hull), you then thread around the big pully in the back of the boat. The end now goes around the big pulley on the front (on the clew), it then runs back again to the back of the boat around the small pulley in the back then thread thru the remaining pulley on the side (the forward one in the back) up to and around the pulley on the side in the center of the boat and back up to the harken cleat on the rear AMA. Once threaded tie a simple knot onto the end of each end of the line (this is called the bitter end). The bitter end prevents the lines from accidentally coming out and unraveling. With my boat I typically drive from the front seat so I typically leave about 2 ft of line hanging out in the rear position, cleat the line and stuff the excess into the mesh pocket. On the front if everything went correctly you will have about 1 1/2 ft to 2 ft of line behind the cleat with the sail completely furled and ready to launch (enough to grab onto).
Now if you typically drive from the back seat some people like to get the furling line all setup (correctly) then tie the end of the furling line to the end of the rear control line forming a complete loop. To do this let the front control line release all the way so the knot is against the front cleat (giving you more line in the rear), you can then tie the end of the furler line to the end of the rear control line to make it easier to furl/unfurl from the rear seat. This is where Tony suggests to tie a figure 8 knot. Personally I find it a royal pain for me to try and drive solo from the back seat, I feel trapped back there, can't hike out at all, and keep getting decapitated by the sail control line. I much prefer driving from the front, but that's just my personal preference, and the boat can be easily sailed from either seat as designed. Since I typically drive from the front seat it is easier for me to leave the furling line unattached and just let the excess lines pile up on the trampoline.
If you need a little extra leverage you can remove the line from the rear cleat by untying the little simple knot, remove that end of the line back to the small pulley in the back, then take that loose end and tie it to the small pulley on the front sail control pulley. This gives you a 3/1 purchase (easier to pull), but you can only control the sail from either the front or rear position (no longer both) depending which end you removed. It's actually pretty simple to switch back and forth depending on if your sailing solo or tandem, and I assume many do this.
Hope this helps you
Bob