Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

we should just add one of these to the bow... [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9gLdLYZ3a4[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great thread, a lot of passionate people here... I'm hoping that Josh 'Yakass' Holmes can get me an AI2 soon, here in Oz.

But seriously Matt, I do think a coupla minor mods would work well, foils for example? I'd like something like this, just a wee bit smaller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFGS7YCDk3Y

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am attempting to sell myself on an AI as the versatile boat for me. I like the pedal aspects but am not sure of the sail. I used to own a Laser and put a lot of miles on it.
I took a 2010 AI out for a demo on an intracoastal water way in Florida last month under small craft warnings. Winds were strong but sea was only about 12"-18" rollers. The AI tacked reasonably well up into the wind and stability was easy to maintain with a little bit of body lean even with a some gusting. I wasn't that satisfied with the sail trim but I know improvements can be made. When I turned down wind on a run, I thought I was doing something wrong as the bow kept stuffing itself into the waves causing a problem with speed and steering. The boat was empty and I was leaning as far back as I could go. I eventually gave up and turned off the wind as I was a little unnerved by it.
From this forum, sounds like this is a feature of the design that Hobie will not be changing. This is good to know so I should just be looking at the Adventure only. Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:02 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

kmac wrote:
I am attempting to sell myself on an AI as the versatile boat for me. I like the pedal aspects but am not sure of the sail. I used to own a Laser and put a lot of miles on it.
I took a 2010 AI out for a demo on an intracoastal water way in Florida last month under small craft warnings. When I turned down wind on a run, I thought I was doing something wrong as the bow kept stuffing itself into the waves causing a problem with speed and steering.
From this forum, sounds like this is a feature of the design that Hobie will not be changing. This is good to know so I should just be looking at the Adventure only. Thank you for your help.
I'm a little surprised the dealer gave you a demo under those conditions since the boat was not really designed to be operated in small craft advisories. It's a rugged and forgiving boat though and many veteran sailors here have discovered they can get away with operating it beyond its design parameters. You definitely can benefit by learning to adapt your sailing techniques (i.e. furling, points of sail) to make the best use of this craft in rougher conditions as you gain confidence in the boat.

The Adventure is an outstanding kayak in its own right -- I have one in addition to the AI and love that boat. Operating the AI in the "Adventure" mode works well, but IMO the Adventure without the V frame and cross bars is even better (lower center of gravity and lighter weight). It's also a fun and challenging little sailer with the small sail, daggerboard and large rudder options. The sail and DB can be stowed inabtrusively when not in use and popped up (or dropped) while on the water at a moment's notice. With the Adventure, you always have the option to upgrade later to the AI if you change your mind. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

kmac wrote:
I took a 2010 AI out for a demo on an intracoastal water way in Florida last month under small craft warnings. Winds were strong but sea was only about 12"-18" rollers. The AI tacked reasonably well up into the wind and stability was easy to maintain with a little bit of body lean even with a some gusting. I wasn't that satisfied with the sail trim but I know improvements can be made. When I turned down wind on a run, I thought I was doing something wrong as the bow kept stuffing itself into the waves causing a problem with speed and steering. The boat was empty and I was leaning as far back as I could go. I eventually gave up and turned off the wind as I was a little unnerved by it.

I was also disappointed when i first took my AI out in decent wind but fingers crossed hobie will bring out a wave deflector or foil to help keep the bow above the waves. Otherwise the Tandem apparently has a better designed bow and amas that help keep the bow up.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Matt, any news on the wave deflector?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt, thank you for your quick thorough reply.
I undestand the limits of the AI per design, and the costs associated with re-tooling a new hull to reduce bow plowing. I have a solution that will profit your company and make alot of us AI owners jump for joy. All Hobie needs to do is produce a bow add on similar to Murrays catalog item # 01-3240. This is a simple aluminum sheetmetal anti-pitchpole hydrofoil for the Hobie 14 bows. It only takes a few square inches of hydrofoil to make a BIG difference. When I added these to my Hobie 14 I could drive the bows significantly harder! It made all the difference in the world! Since Hobie could fab them out of flat sheetmetal, their design and production costs would be minimal, and they would sell like hot cakes! Sell them as a "kit" with bolts or cherry fasteners installed "wet". Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ts14064 wrote:
Matt, thank you for your quick thorough reply.
I undestand the limits of the AI per design, and the costs associated with re-tooling a new hull to reduce bow plowing. I have a solution that will profit your company and make alot of us AI owners jump for joy. All Hobie needs to do is produce a bow add on similar to Murrays catalog item # 01-3240. This is a simple aluminum sheetmetal anti-pitchpole hydrofoil for the Hobie 14 bows. It only takes a few square inches of hydrofoil to make a BIG difference. When I added these to my Hobie 14 I could drive the bows significantly harder! It made all the difference in the world! Since Hobie could fab them out of flat sheetmetal, their design and production costs would be minimal, and they would sell like hot cakes! Sell them as a "kit" with bolts or cherry fasteners installed "wet". Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a few people have already suggested this and i would definitely put money in them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

bump

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Too right!

With the reservation that the Cat hulls have more banana so it may not be quite as effective on the straight hull AI ?

Nevertheless, such a Mod would be light, relatively inexpensive and easy to install so any gain would be worthwhile.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Amen!

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:49 am 
Site Admin

ChaosDave wrote:

Nothing yet. Honestly... not any progress here that I have seen. Engineers have been busy getting the TI to market among many other projects..

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
ChaosDave wrote:

Nothing yet. Honestly... not any progress here that I have seen. Engineers have been busy getting the TI to market among many other projects..

fair enough, thanks for being honest. Hopefully wont be to much longer?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Been a while since any activity on this thread - the summer winds are here in Perth which is what brought me to this thread after pondering "wonder if a small hyrdofoil strapped to the front of the AI would help keep its nose up" while sailing out to rottnest island.

Any updates?

Cheers
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:42 am 
Site Admin

We have nothing new on this. An added deflector is not something our engineers have wanted to add due to added stress on the hull / rig it could cause.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next