Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Picked up the Zx1 and am very happy, esp. now that the price is under $80/ea US.

Kodak has also come out with the Playsport in the same family for $150, I may also pick up one to those due to the full waterproofing and other added features!

ETA
Zx1
ImageImage
Playsport
ImageImage

'08 Revolution (SOLD!)
'07 Adventure Island
'07 Adventure Island

Psalm 107:23, 24 (KJV)
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Sanyo XACTI and it sucks in sunlight.. Can't see a damn thing through the lens.. Too much glare... Guess I need a filter or something, so buyer beware!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1D like CGM's. After every outing I follow the instructions and submerse it in fresh water then dry completely and then lick it to see if there is any residual salt, before opening any hatches. I'm not completely confident with the design of the door seals and latch so I don't stick it under water unless absolutely necessary but all the brands that I have seen seem to seal in the same way. They say in the manual to replace the door seals every year. I'm sure all the other brands are the same.

But apart from all that I'm really happy with the results.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur81BkdsVeE[/youtube]

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slaughter wrote:
I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1D like CGM's. After every outing I follow the instructions and submerse it in fresh water then dry completely and then lick it to see if there is any residual salt, before opening any hatches. I'm not completely confident with the design of the door seals and latch so I don't stick it under water unless absolutely necessary but all the brands that I have seen seem to seal in the same way. They say in the manual to replace the door seals every year. I'm sure all the other brands are the same.

But apart from all that I'm really happy with the results.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur81BkdsVeE[/youtube]

nice vid, going at a decent pace maybe 8-9 knots? its in situations like that which i reckon the tramps would be worthwhile so you could hike out and get the other ama out of the water.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If he was going 8-9 knots then the wind would be at least 16-20mph which in our experience is too much wind for the Hobie tramps without a chance of wind getting up under the windward tramp and trying to flip the boat. I'm still hoping to make a set of 1/2 width tramps out of 1" strapping to let the wind pass through better.

I noticed my local COSTCO has the Olympus 6000 waterproof camera (newer version of mine) in stock for $179 here on Maui.

Here's a video from my older Olympus waterproof camera doing over 9 knots at times:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j8ANdZk8jU[/youtube]
Other videos at: http://www.kayakingbob.com/sailing-videos

Last edited by KayakingBob on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

reconlon wrote:
If he was going 8-9 knots then the wind would be at least 16-20mph which in our experience is too much wind for the Hobie tramps without a chance of wind getting up under the windward tramp and trying to flip the boat. I'm still hoping to make a set of 1/2 width tramps out of 1" strapping to let the wind pass through better.

I noticed my local COSTCO has the Olympus 6000 waterproof camera (newer version of mine) in stock for $179 here on Maui.

Here's a video from my older Olympus waterproof camera doing over 9 knots at times:

yeh when he is not on the tramp that would be a problem which would mean that taking could become a real race to switch sides. I think i'm going to make up some full size tramps but make them out of net to avoid them lifting but still have the added deck area.

since we are on the digital cam thread here is my vid taken with an old Olympus MJU tough, waterproof 10m. The camera is a few years old and has taken a beating and is still functioning perfectly.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN89DhlXBpk[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:

Good guess. The winds at that time of the day were above 20 and peaked at 28 knots. From what I've heard I wouldn't have liked having tramps on in those winds. My mate was on a Nacra Catermaran at the same time. He flipped it and went up onto the rocks. He lost one dagger board (they have 2) which I'm sure cost a bit more than the AI's dagger, and copped a bit of hull damage. That was the day I left my dagger board in the car cause the winds at the time were about 5 knots. Big mistake and later learnt how long it takes to tack into 20 plus winds without a dagger.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.