Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Re: Lower Batten Pocket (loose screws)

This is one of those things that's likely to happen eventually. I reef the sail in high wind and constantly adust lines/heading to find the sweet spot to give me the most speed while preventing luff, and more than normal stress. This is the first thing that's needed to be fixed since I bought the boat in July 07. I couldn't be happier!. :D

What happened was the 2 screws holding the plastic strips together at the bottom of the batten pocket came loose. These plastic strips hold the batten pocket closed so the batten rod doesn't slip out. But if you reef the sail to bind/keep the rod from slipping out you put the sharp ends of the screws against the sail. Now that I see how one loose screw can cause a much bigger, more expensive problem, I looked for a better way to fix it.

A better way to strengthen this stress point would be to use a (one piece, nylon, end cap (sewn in around the bottom batten rod).

Does this sound like a better fix? Any comments, or better ideas, would be very much appreciated.

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the screw tips extend too far, I just remove them (one at a time), and grind down the ends and reinsert and tighten.

Also, where the batten pocket nearest the mast rubs, I add a piece of yellow 2" duct tape to protect it from wearing through.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

KB,

No can do...2 days from port. Had a Swiss Army knife w/file, but old holes in the plastic were stripped. I needed to drill new ones. But, as I see it now, that's not a good fix either. "SCREWS" are an unnecessary risk to the sail. A solid end-cap, much like the one on top, would eliminate the need for SCREWS. Besides, its only 1 replacement part instead of 4, and doesn't require screw holes in the sail...another weak point.

I was in high, shifting winds, with only 4' of sail out (clue to bottom of first batten) and knew the sail was against the sharp screw ends. I was peddling my a.. off, sailing close-hauled against a 3' chop and making only 2mi/hr. Furling the sail completely didn't seem to be a reasonable option either...I was really getting tired.

You guys in Hawaii really push your boats. But then, sometimes, until you have even a simple problem like this, and are not able to fix it right away, can you begin to realize what a simple thing can lead to.

Thanks for the response. I always appreciate your comments Bob.

P.S. I usually bring a roll of water-proof duct tape along, but left it in the car. That would have solved the problem until I got back to where I could fix it. DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!!

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Polecat wrote:
...2 days from port.

No, I guess you couldn't! :shock:

I haven't had one strip yet, but thought I might have. Screwed it in tight, and it held but with the screw tips peeking out. That's when I ground them. A file hardly touched them!

I also use duct tape to tape the two pieces of the mast together. All the sails display a dark line there. I couldn't tell if it was sail wear, or maybe dust inside the sail from mast wear, but another place I watch.

I hope you had another great adventure, with minimal repair costs. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hell Matt it ain't even getting fun till the CG posts small craft warnings. Talked to Keith today, sorry I missed the trip but someone has to work to pay their Social Security. Oyster bars are the most destructive structures on the planet they tear up hulls gear shoes anything they come in contact with. The good thing about glass centerboards is that they are repairable I think I'll start inspecting my shear pins and tethering my braces from now on. In fact I may also shiver me timbers. Also sounds like time to inspect the batten end pockets. The one preparatory step I regularly forget when launching is to tighten and adjust the battons for the conditions. Loose battons could contribute to end cap failure or even let the batten back out of the cap and tear the sail. Good news is a sailmaker will gladly repair it for a price.

The events also point to bringing a good emergency repair kit. There is not much I can't rig in the field with a good supply of tie wraps, epoxy and of course the handy mans secret weapon. duct tape.

As for Pelican, it is interesting that the ultimate problem that caused him to withdraw was not the boat but multiple tire failure on his portage cart.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:21 am 
Site Admin

quirkster wrote:
Hell Matt it ain't even getting fun till the CG posts small craft warnings.

Can't argue with that! When windsurfing, it only gets good at 25-30!

I just prefer choose a safer location for pushing my limits on wind speed. Inshore sailing or onshore wind. I don't like it much when the wind is blowing hard and off shore. Been there and done that... upside down on my Hobie 16 for a full day. Not fun.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)