Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to purchase a 2007 AI that has been hardly used and well cared for. I was looking at a 2010 current model. Can anyone specifically tell me the differences that have been made to the construction and/or design over these 4 model years.
1. The 2010 Mirage drive has ST turbo fins and a large rudder. What about 2007?
2. The 2010 has a lumbar supported seat. The 2007 probably does not. Would the 2010 seat fit?
3. I believe I read that there were some internal support issues concerning unusual wear of the sail mast and supports prior to 2010. Is the 2007 one of those years where the design needed to be improved by installing new supports?
4. Is the hull, AKA, AMA construction the same from 2007->2010?
Are all the improvements made up to the 2010 models, improvements that can be installed in a 2007 hull? I do not have any Hobie dealers close to me so I would need to make these improvements myself.
Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just to add info that I have read from the forum:
5. In 2007, Hobie had some issues with drive well failures and resultant cracked hulls. For me, this would mean that an upgrade to a V2 drive with ST turbos would not be recommended. Correct?
6. The 2007 model does not have the rudder up/down system. Does it also have a smaller rudder making it more difficult to sail?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 2007 does not have the Mirage drive well Click and Go system which the 2010 & 09 have (non upgradable).

The 2010 has the drain moved to below the rudder, where it's usable (non upgradable).

The 2007 can be upgraded to the rudder up/down line system (kit is free from Hobie).

All had the same size rudders. Early boats rudders were slightly different, but were sent free upgrades to the better rudder).

Good luck on your choice. The 2010 is much better, but the 2007 is probably much cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does the 2010 AI have the new aka/ama connection joints like the Tandem Island? Rather than the pin style?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Since the 2007 drive well is not Click-n-go. What is it? I am assuming "Click-n-go" means easily removable. Can you not remove the 2007 drive on the fly?
I am assuming 2007 had a V1 Mirage drive and the current drive is V2. Where can I see or find out what are the improvements between these 2 versions?
Are these upgrades "free" for all time or just during the 2 year Hobie warranty.
You didn't mention the concern of the weakness of the drive well and hulls cracking in the 2007 models. I tried the Standard fins and found them to be too easy to pedal. I much preferred the pressure or resistance of the ST Turbo to pedal. Can the 2007 Mirage drive and drive well take the ST Turbo fins?
I was told by the owner that the fins measured 11-1/2". I believe they are just the standard fins. Correct?
In the demo 2010 that I tried, the aka/ama connections were just pins and I found them to be very difficult to install. Where can we see the improved design on the TI?
I would like to be more specific between the "better" and "cheaper" as it equates to about $1900 USD difference.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can help with one of your inquiries. The Click and Go drive system allows you to plug your mirage drive in like a seat belt. You hear the click, and it's locked in. To release it, you pull two tabs, and it comes out. It takes longer to describe then to do. The older version screws into the locked position with hand tighten knobs. It's not a bad system, just different. If all things were equal, you'd want the click and go. As far as the V1 and V2 drive systems, use the "Search" function on the top right hand side of these forums, you will probably find several answers to your questions that way. I know there was a post at one point about the Version 1 and Version 2 drives, but if you do the search yourself, you'll probably find some of the information that you need, and that I couldn't provide you with.

Long story short. You will rarely come across an AI owner who doesn't like what they have. So if you save $1900 on the older unit, you're still going to have all kinds of fun on the water, and if you didn't know about the improvements, you would never miss them. It really comes down to personal preference. Are you the type of guy who loves to have the newest and greatest gadgets, and are willing to spend the money on them? Or are you the type of guy who wants to get out on the water and enjoy the boat while keeping as much money in your pocket as possible? I personally wouldn't be disappointed if I owned a 2007 AI, and I'd be out on the water this week if I owned one. As for me, I really like the TI, but that's not in the budget this year, so I've decided to stick with my Revolution and save the pennies until the newest model makes sense for me.

If you want to get out on the water now, buy the 2007 and enjoy it! Only you can tell if the upgrades are worth the money to you. But by all means, keep asking questions and searching these forums, I'm sure it will help you come to the right decision.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried the search engine and found lots of good comments but none that answered my question re: the drive differences between V1 and V2.
No one is commenting on the 2007 drive well cracking issue. I would definitely want to go to the ST Turbo fins on the V1 drive. Is this possible and recommended for the 2007 hull?
How do I find out?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The comments I read re: the drive well and hull read:
"the receiving mechanism for the drive" was defective. I think Hobie replaced these components.
AND
"a rotomolding inconsistency...". Is this a random "MANUFACTURING" problem that was occuring with Model year 2007 and you hope doesn't end up in the water with you?
What were the failure issues? How wide spread were they? How do I make sure the 2007 AI that I am looking at doesn't have these issues?
Thanks for your help everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kmac,
Have you checked the miragedrive FAQ?
Found here:
viewforum.php?f=60
Any hull can fail. Just because you get a later than 07 hull is no guarantee that you won't experience a fault. The roto-moulding process is not failsafe. :(
We have an 06 Tandem Oasis with heaps of kilometres on it, mostly with turbo's, and it has had no problems. I have two 08 AI's. One developed a drivewell crack. It was promptly replaced by Hobie with an 09 hull. :)
What is important is how Hobie handles any claims and in that regard they are second to none. They have the best warranty support I have had with any product. 8)
The V2 drives were a significant improvement and V1's are easily upgraded. Check the FAQ's.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Please see RR post on the TI to see the aka/ama connection update, no more pin style connection,
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=22768

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think the new aka connectors are expected on AI's till next year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

A "hardly used" 2007 AI for $1900 less than a new 2010 will give you about 100% of the fun, 90% of the convenience and 95% of the reliability. Sounds like quite a bargain! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome kmac!

I agree with Roadrunner.

We've used two "07" AIs as expedition kayaks on multi-day camping trips in gulf waters off of SW Florida. Neither boat has ever had HULL, mirage drive, or rudder problem (1 broken rudder pin in 3 yrs). If you take care of this boat it will last a long time.

If I were you, I'd write down the SERIAL # and check it with Matt Miller. He may be able to give the information you need to make a decision. Because if the issues you mentioned WERE RESOLVED by the time this boat was built, and it's as good as the ones we use, I would highly recommend it... and you'll love it even more by saving almost $2K in the process.

Hobie provided 2 free updates for the 07 model; a larger sailing rudder; and, a new up/down rudder control system.

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How does one receive replies from Matt Miller to inquiries? I thought by being on this forum that would work but I have not heard from him. I'll get the serial number if he is available.
I also sent my questions to Hobie directly with no response.
Hello polecat;
On your 2007 AI's, are you using the standard or ST Turbo fins? Thanks again for your comments.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kmac,

Post your hull # here and maybe some people might comment on it.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon