Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any info on TI Foresail?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the things that attracted me to the TI was the possibility/rumour that it may have a foresail available as optional kit.

Is this likely to manifest?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

I have no update yet...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When the wind picks up I have to reef my 06 AI because of severe weather helm. A foresail or Jib might help solve this problem. Also, the forestay would keep the mast from bending so much. Surely someone has already tried this.
I am on Sarasota Bay where the depths are perfect for the AI. Weather helm is a condition in which the ship points into the wind requiring full rudder to keep the ship from going into irons. This could be helped by tightening the Jib, which the AI does not have, or by reefing. Simply letting off on the main sheet does not help much. Lee helm is a condition in which the ship sails off the wind in spite of full rudder to turn the boat into the wind. I have never had lee helm with my AI. My 2006 manual says very little about reefing. My first adventure into a 20 knot wind was with full sail. I could hardly manage the boat. The next day out I reefed before getting into the strong wind. I soon realized that the reason I had not reefed the day before was because I was too scared to even think of it. This AI is a fantastic invention. However, I can only imagine that everyone on this forum already knows that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:58 am 
Site Admin

A jib is better in the lighter air. The forestay tension can distort the mast bend if not at a fractional attachment point which causes furling issues (you have to drop the jib to furl). It not all good for heavier air use. Reefing the sail, adjusting the dagger and fin positions and making sure you have the bigger rudder fully locked down are the best answers for heavy air sailing. Reefing / reducing sails for better performance and control is universal to all sailing craft as the wind speed increases.

If you are rounding up, try rotating the dagger more aft and holding the fins against the hull. Also try bearing off a bit more before powering up again. If you power up when close hauled, the boat will slip sideways (crab) and round up. You need some speed to help the dagger and rudder foils operate properly.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt

Is the Hobie foresail discussion only related to the TI and not AI?

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My post about weather helm was made while I was using the original 2006 rudder. Today I went to Economy Tackle in Sarasota and they sold me the new style rudder. He explained the new shape which extends forward of the stern. He also insisted that I engage the hold down screw on the rudder. I installed the new rudder but one of the bolts was buggered and I had to find a replacement. The new rudder is a dream. However, when sailing close to the wind I tried to turn down wind and could not. I was on a port tack, wind coming from the left, and gave full right rudder and nothing happened. Finally I let out the main sheet and she turned down wind. My top speed by GPS was 9.6 knots with an average speed of 4.4 knots over a 3.4 km course. I was out 43 minutes and was totally soaked. What a rush. Whoever designed the AI should get a Nobel prize.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Bob L. wrote:
Matt

Is the Hobie foresail discussion only related to the TI and not AI?

Thank you

We are only working on a kit for the TI... correct.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Dudley wrote:
I was using the original 2006 rudder.

Yikes! No wonder! and you need the newer rudder up / down system so you can cleat the rudder down from the cockpit!

Fyi... all AIs are eligible for the larger rudder and the line up / down rudder system at no charge. Refer the dealer to our dealer bulletins on the subject or the FAQ in these forums:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5958

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)