Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: upwind angle of AI?
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

okz00k wrote:
Here is an interesting comparison. The northerly track on the west side of Pittwater was into a 10-15 kt breeze. The lower half of the southerly track near the east shore was into 30 kts + with not much sail out.

Det, interestingly, you were still managing to sail at 60 to 68 degrees to the wind in those adverse conditions, versus 50 degrees in the lighter winds:

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Reconlon / Bob, I did try sailing close hauled with both dagger and drive (flippers straight down), and that seemed to work: I could point higher. The conditions were very light though, and the "speed" dropped from roughly 7 km/h (with drive out, plug in dagger down) to roughly 5.5 km/h.
After a few tries, and without doing the math in the field (and even now), I decided to point lower and without the drive, for that was more fun to me. I think I will try it again with more wind (and without jib). Then the speed drop might be (or at least feel) less dramatic.

@okz00k, do you know if you assist your sailing (fi in the 30kt wind) with pedaling? That would be very helpful for me to interpret your track.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For the northerly tacks in medium winds I did not assist except during the tack transition. For the southerly tacks into the 30+ kts I was peddling as well. Note that I could make no headway windward peddling at max with the sail furled. I could only make windward headway sailing with approx 1m (1 yard) of sail out.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

okz00k wrote:
Note that I could make no headway windward peddling at max with the sail furled. I could only make windward headway sailing with approx 1m (1 yard) of sail out.

That's been exactly my experience in winds that strong.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

okz00k wrote:
For the northerly tacks in medium winds I did not assist except during the tack transition. For the southerly tacks into the 30+ kts I was peddling as well. Note that I could make no headway windward peddling at max with the sail furled. I could only make windward headway sailing with approx 1m (1 yard) of sail out.

Thanks for the clarifications, that makes sense and is also in agreement with my experiences (although they go "only" up to 30kts, which I consider enough...)

I wonder if making headway windward in high winds would go better with the small sail on a (stiffened) mast: that way you don't need to furl (so much), so the sail shape should be better. Obviously, the other factors that hinder windward headway stay unaffected, so it might not help that much, but I think it could be an interesting experiment. Anyone tried yet?