Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Today was our inaugural sail on our new TI. It was the perfect day... sunny, 5-10 knots.

I've read several reports of TI owners experiencing issues with their rudder.

On the trailer, we tested the rudder system by dropping and turning the rudder. All worked perfectly.

We launched the boat and entered deeper water. Then we stopped, dropped the rudder, unfurled the mainsail and then we immediately took off sailing fast on a close reach. But we were unable to turn to starboard. We assumed the rudder wasn't locked properly. So we stopped the boat, recycled the rudder, bringing it up, then back down, and locked the down line into the cam cleat, maintaining sufficient tension on the down line. Bang. Up/down control lines became slack. Lost all rudder control.

We successfully improvised using the paddle to turn. Using the paddle, we were all still able have a blast tacking up and down the lake sailing with my family and friends.

Questions:

What is the proper procedure for reporting a breakage?

Any suggestions how I can improvise a solution to hold the rudder down? We have a family vacation scheduled starting tomorrow using the boat. Would be great to have the rudder functioning.

Any suggestions for a more robust long term solution for keeping the rudder locked down? When these boats sail fast (which it seems it always wants to do), there is considerable pressure on the rudder system. I can’t understand how the rudder can remain locked down. I'm concerned it is not locking properly and will break again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It seems like I saw a post like this from someone else and they included a fix. I'll search to see if I can find it. Seems like it was within the last 2-3 weeks.

...I guess my memory was bad. I did find this post that may give some insight into the inner workings of the rudder in case you want to get in their and splice the lines yourself.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25591

I hope this helps. Good luck and have a great trip.

Hobie Cat 14T
Home built sailboat (in progress)

Edmond, OK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Since you just picked the TI up. Just give the dealer a call. It should be repaired under warranty.
Do you have any tips on steering the TI with the paddle?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Re: steering the TI with the paddle

When moving at speed, turning the boat is like steering a whitewater raft down the Colorado River. Just shove the paddle in the water with both hands and hold on tight. Experiment rotating the handle in the water to resist and deflect water. It will steer. We tacked very well and with confidence with this technique.

When moving at slow/no speed, it can be more challenging. There is little/no water passing by the hull to deflect. One must muscle the boat using paddle stokes. I wouldn't suggest it in higher wind conditions.