Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All my boats are covered under my homeowners policy, and my trailer under my auto policy, so far, at no additional costs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

check your TI owners package (the plastic bag with the owners manual and some small parts) mine came with an extra rudder pin... maybe yours did too

Post about my jib
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20991

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Correct, I do have an extra pin and I decided to go ahead and use it. I ordered 2 more for spares and a new rudder assembly as well as some parts to fix the trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Happy to see that things are gett'n better mate. That was a real bummer that could have happened to anyone. I roof mount my AI and think that it's only a matter of time before I try to drive it into the garage ( it ain't gunna fit ).
Have you had a chance to get it wet yet or are you waiting for the new bits ? Look'n forward to some photos with water in them and a big smile on you dial.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Slaughter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob, your insurance comments bring up some questions and concerns I've had...

Quote:
All my boats are covered under my homeowners policy, and my trailer under my auto policy, so far, at no additional costs.

My trailers ARE covered under my auto policy. As I understand things, trailers are covered under the insurance policy of the towing vehicle. I suppose this is good to tell someone if you're borrowing a trailer, and the owner has liability concerns. At least, this is what my NationWide Insurance dealer told me. But I'm still not sure if that coverage is only while the trailer is connected to my car and being towed, or if the trailer is also covered when it's disconnected and just parked in my driveway.

On the other hand, my boat is NOT covered under my "standard" homeowners insurance unless it is damaged while INSIDE my enclosed garage (connected to the house). My boat could also be covered while it's inside a separate, enclosed building (ie; not a carport), but the building needs to be specifically covered in my policy - at additional cost. I lost a CraigCat powerboat AND an aluminum canoe when a tree fell on them, in my driveway, during a storm. At first I thought, "Well, thank goodness I'm covered by my homeowners insurance." Regretfully, I was wrong - and it was a hard, expensive pill to swallow.

I'm sure each policy and every company is slightly different in its coverage - this is only what I understand with Nationwide Insurance (auto policy) and State Farm (homeowners policy). I guess Texas Yak Man could be covered with his auto policy, but then there's another bug-a-boo: The additional dilemma of deciding whether it's worth making a claim after the deductible is subtracted. (I always fear rate hikes after making a claim, so it's a tough call.)

Hey - that's what I've understood, and misunderstood, about my insurance, boats, trailers and coverage.
Of course, I could still have it all wrong...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is what I found out.
Trailer liability covered under existing policy. I extended it for full coverage comp/collision for 28 a year.
Boat: Added new policy to fully cover boat @250 year, liability, comp, collision, replacement value etc...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TxYackMan wrote:
Here is what I found out.

Boat: Added new policy to fully cover boat @250 year, liability, comp, collision, replacement value etc...

Mark, Is it treated like a motor vehicle in that sense?

I've never bought my own "marine" policy, so this has me wondering,
Is it covered in the water during recreational use?
Only in calm boating conditions? Hurricanes?
With passengers?
During organized events (fishing or racing)?
During transit?
At home/drydock?

Interesting loophole I found in my auto coverage. Your coverage could be limited or nil if you damage your car at home, especially if it's hit by another vehicle you own.

In Slaughter's case, running his insured garage into his insured boat on his insured car could open a ridiculous can of worms.

Best to review the fine print and put a giant "it ain't gunna fit!" sign on the garage. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You make good points. I will call again and ask more questions.

Good news! The yak made it to water. Will start a new better thread for that!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For the insruance discussions happening above, here are a few comments from a guy who works for an insurance company.

1. Insurance is regulated by the states, which means that the structure of insurance policies can, and usually does, vary from state to state.
2. Insurance policies can also vary between insurance companies and even within the same company, although, there are some types of policies/coverages that may be very similar or identical within certain states due to state law.
3. When you buy an insurance policy it is usually somewhat customizable to fit your needs.
4. Your best option to understand your insurance and to get your insurance needs met is to TALK to your insurance agent and to ocasionally shop different insurance companies and shop different agents. If your agent can't answer your questions or find the answers quickly and esily, find another agent.
5. Your state insurance department may also be able to help to answer some of your questions. You should certainly contact them if you have a problem with your agent and/or insurance company. That is what they are there for.

I wish there were easy answers to your insurance questions and issues, but insurance varies so widely that it's not that simple. As soon as I say all of this, I'm sure someone out there is an insurance agent for personal lines that will be able to chime in with more clarity, but I hope this helps a little.

Hobie Cat 14T
Home built sailboat (in progress)

Edmond, OK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

toomanyboats wrote:
My trailers ARE covered under my auto policy. As I understand things, trailers are covered under the insurance policy of the towing vehicle. I suppose this is good to tell someone if you're borrowing a trailer, and the owner has liability concerns. At least, this is what my NationWide Insurance dealer told me. But I'm still not sure if that coverage is only while the trailer is connected to my car and being towed, or if the trailer is also covered when it's disconnected and just parked in my driveway.

On the other hand, my boat is NOT covered under my "standard" homeowners insurance unless it is damaged while INSIDE my enclosed garage (connected to the house).

It was just the opposite for me - my yaks are covered by my Allstate homeowners policy, but I had to get additional coverage for the trailer. Not much, just $17US or so per year, but it surprised me. Also, trailers here in Maryland are registered and tagged like vehicles, which took some 6 weeks for the state to turn around.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos