Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stupid question
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

>>Honunu’s answers to the questions I posed are good; although attaching the lease on the aka anywhere outside the brace presumes which side of the boat you are falling out on, and risks breaking the brace pin and collapsing the ama if you do fall out. Personally, I like attaching it to the rear cross bar. Probably a 9’ leash attached to the rear x-bar would get you out of the kill zone Honunu mentions. KB uses a 9'...<<

No problem, I have resolved to ALWAYS be thrown from the port side. :o

Normally, the rear crossbar would be a safer choice (or close to the Aka attachment point, where it can take plenty of torque). I use tramps though, and they will hold the Akas in place even without a functioning brace. Right now, my rods are also in the holders right behind the seat, so I don't want to take them swimming with me.

In 9 out of 10 ditch scenarios, I see myself exiting the boat (fairly gracefully) via the tramps. If a wave hasn't already swamped the boat, I'm hoping that a little side drag will turn the boat sooner.

>>No one has jumped at my suggestion to use them as a body-leash tester...<<
Just in case I am wrong, I'm lining up victims for the weekend now (he-he).
"Honey- tell me again why I need to wear a helmet on a kayak?"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've done many miles offshore sailing delivering boats and I always use a harness with a short enough leash so I can't fall overboard...you don't want to be dragged along side a sailboat in 5 or 6 ft waves and 20 + knts of wind when you're the only one on watch in the cockpit and the crew is down below sleeping...the end of the leash that is attached to the harness has a quick release snap shackle in case of capsize (which does not happen to often on big boats but certainly can) I can give it a quick pull and free myself from the leash...When I'm sailing alone in my Fulmar 19 or my AI I use the same method...a short leash with the quick release snap shackle and a harness...the leash is just short enough to keep me from falling overboard yet long enough to keep from being trapped under the boat...If the boat does flip over I have the option of staying connected with the boat or releasing the snap shackle to free myself...I've tried testing my system on the AI but I haven't been able to flip it yet!...it's very stable...maybe Kayak Bob should give it a try in those big waves off Hawaii?? :shock:

CaptRon
"Anything's gonna happen,
it's gonna happen out there"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is good stuff, Ron. How long is your leash--the one you use on your AI? What harness do you use? Most of the discussion here has been about falling OUT of your AI/TI. Would your leash prevent that? Where do you attach it?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Keith...the leash (tether) I use on the AI is about 48 inches and is attached to the forward crossbeam usually port side...I tend to lean back pretty far resting against a back rest that I added...if your position is more forward adjust the length of the tether to suit you...I use a sailing harness or the inflatable PFD/Harness combo (the manually operated type)...the tether will keep you from falling backwards which I think would be the most common accidental exit...the tramps keep you from going over the side...if you don't have tramps you could fall off the side but the tether would keep you alongside in between the main hull and ama...Falling forward over the crossbars is possible but highly unlikely I would think...If you capsize and the boat or trampoline is on top of you the short length might keep you under the boat...if that's the case the quick release shackle will set you free to find the surface...

This system kept me on board one night in the middle of the gulf...a rouge wave washed across the boat ( 40' Catalina) and swept everything in the cockpit over the stern (except me)...Including my $400 dollar Steiner binoculars!

CaptRon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice mod. Looks safe and comfy.

Now on to the subject of your black handles. Are those fighter pilot grips or quick-release sushi knifes?

Either way, they look badass.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

what about a few of these in series, held to an aka in a mesh bag, with a pull release attached to your PFD ?

... i.e., you go overboard and the pull cord pops out of the folds (like a parachute release) then deploys the drift/anchor acting like a drag chute ?

perhaps have them on a 15' rope with nots every 3 feet or so to pull yourself back to the boat. skewed off to one side its bound to keep the bout from sailing/drifting on a straight path

The same rope could be rigged to a pull pin on one of the mainsheet cleat catches thus releasing sail tension.

I realize it might not be optimal for heavy surf/winds but the boat sailing away without us is a consideration in other conditions as well.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With an AI or even TI, I can't believe they would pull an overboard sailor more than a few feet before stopping. I've never tried using the sea anchor while moving, but it stops an AI dead to the water speed when deployed and we offer so much more drag than it.

I haven't been out on the water for over a week, as Dee (my wife) is recovering from a bad infection. But after this Saturday's 'yak fishing tournament, I could hopefully find someone to throw off the TI at speed, :D if NOHUHU doesn't beat me to it.

It'd be a good test to be sure that the surfboard leash can take the stress.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU

Yes, fighter pilot grips connected to a 50 cal...for those "pesky" PWC's... :wink:

CaptRon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KB and Nohuhu--Go for it! You will do us all a great service.

And, Ron, you may not be an engineer, but you are creative. Nice work.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oasisguy: "Looking at the angles, if he didn't he probably landed in the park."

http://picasaweb.google.com/Fishingking ... 6177744498

A description from the owner:

It was pretty exciting to say the least! Was out in 22-25 kts of wind,sailing the boat very hard and got hit by a big gust. No time to dump the main and with the foil sheets trimmed for maximum down force the boat was still creating lift and was trying to fly the boat,myself and the foils out of the water! When all the foils were out of the water the wind turned me down and I did a perfect three point landing into the mud. Crash was not violent and I didn't even move out of the seat. I was sitting 15' above the water wondering how I was going to get down. Starboard ama was bent at 45 Degrees in two places towards the main hull. By the afternoon the sun had popped the ama back straight to where it's almost unnoticable. Gotta love polypropelene!

No boat damage and most of all none to the pilot either.

CaptRon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well the test results are in,...

I just happened to find myself with a hitchhiker on my tramps this weekend (another story) who weighed about the same as me, so I leashed him up and tossed him overboard :twisted:

We were on a strong starboard tack into 15-20mph winds (in sheltered water). I tied his left wrist to a 9' quick-release stretch leash and the other end to the right rear Aka, (about a foot from the hull). He "bailed" off the windward side and hit the warm Hawaiian water with minimal splash and hysterics. I remained neutral in the seat and did not assist.

The Good News:
The boat quickly came from about 6 knots to a slow crawl, and turned gradually into the wind. After turning, with a couple kicks he was aboard. Nothing dramatic. It all took less than 30 seconds.

The Bad News:
None really, but I did observe that if you are wearing a VHF radio/sunglasses/hat, you may become preoccupied with saving them and not yourself. Consider the risks here. It will make things harder if your hands are full of any sort of gear (including your precious rod/reel, electronics, etc) that may have washed over without a tether.

Conclusions
1. I am confident that in fair seas, the AI will not go far with you attached to just about any point. (I suspect you will have a harder time contending with whatever caused you to take a dunk in the first place- like high waves, collision with a reef/obstruction or an angry bullshark who doesn't like red Hobies).

2. Use a wrist strap or harness. You would not want to be dragged by your feet for any distance. It will impede your swimming and recovery.

3. Unless you are fighting a record fish, let go of everything else but your lifeline!

4. The boat should slow within a few seconds, but can still pull you along slowly until it turns into the wind. Making yourself "larger" will increase drag and should help to stall and turn it. THIS is your chance to get back onboard before it shoots off in a new direction.

5. A long leash is not necessary. Shorter may be better

The ocean is unpredictable, but after this quick test, I feel confident that a leash will work and is far more likely to save me, than kill me.

I look forward to Maui Bob conducting tests with his TI. With its faster hull and BIG sail, that would be a whole other rodeo ride! (Good luck finding a crash test dummy for that one, Bob).

PS. If you don't have access to tramps and a human guinea pig, you can simulate the same test with a couple sandbags, wrapped in a PFD.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great job! I think on the AI it may have taken longer to stop because of your additional weight. Without it, I think it would stop much quicker still. As you said, the TI may act more like yours did with 2 people on board, even more so with it's additional mass.

Hopefully I'll find a victim, I mean volunteer, to try it soon in the TI. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great work and report, Nohuhu! Very helpful.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
Hopefully I'll find a victim, I mean volunteer, to try it soon in the TI.

Heck Bob, send me the airfare and I'll happily volunteer to be 'victimized'! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I second that! :lol: :twisted: