Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've read the many many posts about roof-racking the AI and am wondering why I can't make it a little simpler. Two questions:

1. What is the problem with just laying the AI upside down on its gunnel on the square Thule roof racks I have.......no J-cradles, no pillows, no nothing.....just strap it down good The Thule cross bars are 'plastic coated' so I dont' think it would harm the Hobie*** and the aka's keep the AI from sliding forward or back (I am planning this for my 2007 VW Jetta). My amas fit fine INSIDE the Jetta (with the rear and front passenger seat folded down), although I imagine I could lash the amas up on the rack as well with a bit more effort.

2. Pirate (or someone) could you please post photos of your 'pirate pillows' again somehow such that a Macintosh computer can read them? They don't show up in your post.....actually, I tried to reload your posting on an XP computer and nothing came up there either.

*** if it would, I could lay carpet piece there or somesuch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

deacm,
1- That is the recommended way to carry the AI. You just have to make sure you have enough clearance between the rack and the vehicle so the aka crossbars don't scratch the roof. It usually means you have to flip the AI once up as it's easier to slide the hull right way up first.
2-Pirates pillows are not necessary when the hull is transported inverted. They were made out of insulation foam designed for pipes and doubled over where needed to roughly match the profile of the hull when transported right way up.

Don't the Thule bars have some sort of rubber insert to stop the load sliding? That's all you would need.
BTW- You don't need to go too tight with straps. Ratchet straps are overkill and could dent the hull. Cam lock straps are fine. It's also a good idea to secure the bow and stern with a line.
If you do transport the hull inverted remember to jam some pool noodle into the mast receiver just in case the balls come loose. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have the old 2007 style mast retainer clips inside the mast receiver, you will tear the noodle up (and your hand) trying to remove it. It's like barracuda teeth in there - one way! No such problem I think with the newer external retainer clip.

Surfrack pads are a must for carrying your AI on flat bars. They grip and cushion the hull at the same time. They really protect the soft plastic when loading/ hauling.

I flip the boat on the roof after loading. Pads add a little extra clearance between my roof and those nasty metal aka crossbars. For those crossbars, I also wrap each one in a 28" rack pad of its own. So far, my roof and head are grateful they are there.