Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I checked my TI rudder screws this morning - prior to going out for the day - and discovered the lower screw was about halfway unscrewed. The top screw was still tight, but the bottom one was out so far that I could see daylight between the hull and the rudder bracket.

*Sigh* One more item to add to the safety checklist before we leave the driveway to go sailing every time.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On the safety checklist subject, would it be a good idea to start a thread that only mentions checks that should be carried out before & after sailing the Islands? And only replies that add new checks to consider to be posted?

It would be a great resource for all members, especially newbies (like me), & you wouldnt have to search all over the forum to get them & sift through all the agree/disagree comments, just the bare pointers

It would be great for one the senior members kicked it off, I certainly dont have the know how

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'day mate. I totally agree with you! I ordered my TI in March, by which time I'd already read a great many forum articles about the AI etc. One thing that stood out was that Hobie was willing to fix problems as they surfaced.

Over the 4 months that it took before I got the TI, I read virtually every post in these forums, and other sites, some of which dealt with problems. However, I never even considered cancelling my order - I was confident all would get sorted one way or another.

And man, am I ever having a ball with my TI! :D

Back to your request though; I have a stack of bookmarked posts re potential probs - and also great ideas - so I think it would be great to have a 'centralised' article/topic outlining these things. What tends to happen though, is that such valuable posts tend to get 'lost' because this is a very active forum, and 'searching' doesn't help that much, when you don't quite know what to ask, especially as a newbie!

I reckon the TI - my first ever yak - is totally awesome. If a few of the forum readers are interested, I'd be happy to start a 'key article' at my hobby website www.madyakker.com. Such an article would simply list any potential AI/TI issue, but most importantly, provide links back to relevant articles in this forum, as it's THE place for info.

Best thing I guess is to let forum members decide if this is useful. Just reply to this post with an "Aye" or a "Nay", and we'll see where it goes?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Aye Aye Captain!

CaptRon
"Anything's gonna happen,
it's gonna happen out there"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Aye!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, we have a couple of Ayes here, and one via a PM. I'll see if I can get it started soon, and then link here and other relevant posts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have started a Hobie Island Checklist. See if you think the columns are suitable, or whether I'm missing anything in that regard. And, should I split the AI and TI issues into 2 tables?

Of course, I still need to populate this Checklist with a lot more info yet!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had convinced myself from many of these posts that my steering issue had been caused by weather helm or a too small rudder. Forget that logic. After more time spent analyzing the problem and actually sailing, the problem is simply a design flaw. The problem is as I thought it was originally as seen in my video posts here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=25549&start=45
I went out for my first sail in with my newly replaced rudder and I was still experiencing the steering issue. I spent a lot of time sitting in the back looking at the rudder, which I could see beneath the water, to see it floating upwards. At one point everything was going fine and I actually heard the rudder pop out of it's clip, then no starboard steering. The reason for this is explained clearly in the video post above. No matter how much you tension the down line, the rudder is still easily forced out of the retaining area with the water pressure. This is a big problem and obviously a design flaw. Unfortunately, I believe the only solution is to create a system as some have posted here which require you to deploy and stow your rudder manually while standing in the water.

Video from previous thread:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT75KvNcxT8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know Ive read one or two having this problem but would it be classed as a common fault?

Even if its not its still a serious one

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

According to my sources, Hobie has stopped all new TI shipments until they can get the rudder issue(s) resolved. I haven't heard whether September 1 will be the date when they reveal it, or whether it will be announced later - but rest assured, they are working on it!

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

whosyerbob wrote:
According to my sources, Hobie has stopped all new TI shipments until they can get the rudder issue(s) resolved. I haven't heard whether September 1 will be the date when they reveal it, or whether it will be announced later - but rest assured, they are working on it!

That's great news. I am hoping we hear a solution in September. If not, I will continue to lock the rudder till a real fix comes along.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I drilled a hole through the rudder and bolted it down yesterday as described here. It worked well. I had to be careful in shallow water and when I came ashore, but it allowed me to sail my new TI, and that's fun.

I noticed that the up line, where it attaches to the rudder, is as tight as a piano wire even when none of the lines are cleated. When I deploy the rudder that line is always trying to pull the rudder away from the back of the boat. Is there any way to adjust that line to release some of the tension on it?

There was very little surf yesterday, so holding the TI in waist deep water and putting a plastic bolt through the rudder was not a problem. That won't always be the case. Can't wait for a more permanent solution and I am sure that Hobie will find one.

If anyone knows how to loosen up the tension on the up line, please let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Seattle, WA and more times than not, Camano Is, WA USA
drgatsea,
It's good you noticed this now. I've been sailing for the last 2.5 summers with a tight rudder up line, never realizing it was too tight. This last week I was looking closely over my boat and noticed the up-line was frayed. I also noticed this line is so tight, it has cut a small line into the plastic surrounding the hole it should be in. I ordered a new spectra line and then found the 'Hobie Twist-n-Stow Rudder System Repair Manual' on this forum. Just go into Search and type in Hobie Twist n stow...etc. You'll find info on how to loosen your rudder tension there. You can download it to paper form. It's laid out so simply. Because of this, I realized I will be able to replace the line myself :D It's quite interesting to read how the twist-n-stow is put together and how rudder system works. Pretty cool workings going on underneath as we are sailing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Fly'n C Lion. I will check that out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's an announcement from Hobie to its dealers that my Hobie dealer gave me:

"We are aware that there are customers experiencing problems with the steering system on Hobie Mirage Tandem Islands and 2011 Adventure Islands, and we are aggressively testing solutions. We are very close to having a temporary fix so that customers can continue to enjoy their boats, and a more permanent fix is in the works which will be made available to all owners at the point in time that we are satisfied we have the proper answer for the issue.

We are temporarily holding shipments of both versions of the Island until the temporary fix we are considering has been properly tested. We wanted to be sure we communicated this to you, so that, in the event you encounter a customer who is experiencing a problem, you know this issue has the highest priority at the Factory. Thanks for your help."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next