Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI Maiden Voyage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Finally managed to whittle 2 hours of video down to 4 minutes, even figured out how to add a sound track, and upload to YouTube. Yee-haa!

Video quality is not too good, it was an overcast day, and my GoPro camera didn't do that well with it. But the sound track is cool. 8)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYJr-84xK9c[/youtube]

Post subject: Re: TI Maiden Voyage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice vid.

Best you slow down next time, your co-pilot got blown out the back half way through ! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OasisGuy wrote:
Nice vid.

Best you slow down next time, your co-pilot got blown out the back half way through ! :shock:

Max will do anything to beat that hot rod red TI! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OasisGuy wrote:
... your co-pilot got blown out the back half way through!
Oh no, not at all, in the spirit of the original Aussie 18' Skiffs which carried 10-15 men :shock: : when the winds are too light for the ballast... er, crew... you chuck them over the side and let them swim back! :lol:

Image Image
(see http://www.18footers.com.au/index.php?page=early-18-footers-history)

NOHUHU, I'm not really that competitive... (now how does this trapeze thingy go...)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Max, Great video, great editing! What type of camera mount do you use? I still have not found what I will use for the camera or rod holders on the TI. Good choice on the color by the way. It’s really nice to see you having a good time on the water.

So where are the Martinis, Larry? The beer is in the cooler behind me. It’s a big cooler.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Larry, I bought a GoPro Hero HD. These are really waterproof, but the downside is less flexability:

- Wide angle only
- Poor sound due to waterproof casing
- Not crash hot in low light

However, its built for a specific purpose, and that it does well - action shots on surfboards, cars, bikes, skydivers etc etc - and of course yaks.

I'm using RAM mounts (the 'B' size) to mount it on the aka. I'll be adding a couple more RAM mounts at other spots so I can get different angles, plus I have a head mounting strap, which should give an interesting perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like the technique. Light winds, throw out crew. LOL. That's great.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
I'm using RAM mounts (the 'B' size) to mount it on the aka. I'll be adding a couple more RAM mounts at other spots so I can get different angles, plus I have a head mounting strap, which should give an interesting perspective.

Which base are you using, and size?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm using a RAM V-Base (RAM-B-108BU), this has a 1" ball. Note: the dealer gave me a better quality hose clamp, as he said the ones supplied rust quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
Larry, I bought a GoPro Hero HD. These are really waterproof, but the downside is less flexability:

- Wide angle only
- Poor sound due to waterproof casing
- Not crash hot in low light

However, its built for a specific purpose, and that it does well - action shots on surfboards, cars, bikes, skydivers etc etc - and of course yaks.

We could still see that big Hobie grin. :mrgreen: Congrats Capt.

Yeah, some lens or digital zoom options from GoPro would help. Otherwise you need to move the housing all the time.

Hero HDs have the choice of 127 deg or 170 deg angles of view depending on which video setting you choose. Only 1920P=127 deg right now.

Which do you use?

I would love to see remote controls for the GoPros, H2O cams or iphone that would allow you to start/pause/stop recording and change zoom levels from the cockpit. Like a regular handycam! What are they waiting for?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Max,
Congrats on your maiden voyage and great video. I liked the perpective from the aka mounted Hero HD. 8)
For all those interested in the GoPro and its settings and editing of high def video (which is quite a challenge) this site is a wealth of info:
http://goprouser.freeforums.org/
I have learned a lot from Rambo and others on the site. Their recommendation for best video using the GoPro HD is R3 mode: 720P/60fps. Lowest "jello wobble" and great slo-mo capability post editing. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Nohuhu.

I used the r3 setting (1280) to get 60 frames per sec. Not sure I really need that though, it's mainly if you want slow motion later when producing your video.

I think everyone using a camera on a yak would love a remote control! The new-ish Pentax Optio W90 offers a remote as an accessory... but as always the question will be: just how waterproof is it really? Also, some of the reviews were less than flattering, and the W90's zoom can't be used in video mode!!!

Stringy, yes I'm starting to 'haunt' Rambo's GoPro forum now. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Max,

Looks like you had a great time during your first time out.

You might try putting your crew in the front seat next time. I only sailed my TI once with another person and she sat up front. We had good winds and there was so much spray that my wife had water on the top of her hat while I stayed failry dry. I also sail mine solo from the back seat but I will try it up front next time.

Jerry

2008 AI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'day Jerry, yes, will probably try the rear seat next time. By then I should have the spray skirts installed too. Chose the front for the first trip so I could operate the centre board, and the furling line.

I've watched a few clips of the TI being sailed solo from the aft seat now, and I notice that the bow is regularly airborne. That's good for downwind work and surfing, but I'm wondering whether the forward seat would be better for close hauled? In time I'll try a few things and see how it goes, balance-wise.