Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rogermann:
Your jib design is pretty cool. I have been using a jib on my TI for over a year now, I posted it on viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33720 (ultimate Tandem island (hydrofoils, spinnaker, jib, etc)) quite a while back, and have over 800 miles on the boat as rigged to date with no problems in pretty much all sea conditions. The jib really helps sailing upwind and low wind conditions. My TI is totally rigged for the typical low wind conditions in the Sarasota area (typically 5-10 mph winds). This is at the expense of handling well in higher winds (> 20 mph winds), the boat weather helms pretty bad in high winds (even with the new rudder) and I have to furl much sooner than most TI's in higher winds, but it's only once in a blue moon that we see higher winds around here, and typically along with the higher winds we see big waves, where it is no fun any longer, so I tend to stay home in higher winds. The only advise I can give is be careful attaching your jib to the padeye on the bow ( I have nothing attached to that padeye). Also the V brace for the mast is not designed for the extra load, so I don't recommend flying the jib in higher winds. One other problem you will find if you do decide to use the jib in heavy seas (against my advise) is the jib flex's the front of the hull quite a bit (you can see it waving around) and you will take in quite a bit of water through the front hatch unless you re-enforce the bow/hull itself.
Bob