Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2011 AI design
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

bongorust wrote:
Quote:
CF reinforced Fiberglass. It conducts electricity...
:shock:

Not that I intend on being out in electrical storms, or any storm for that matter, what would/should you do in such an event?

Your awfully exposed in the cockpit of an Island

October 2009 I planed to go out trolling lures for the Tea Tree Snapper Fishing Comp, there was a front forecast which I hoped was going to skirt us, "WRONG". Watched the storm start to build and skirt around the west when I was about 3 km out, decided to tuck the tail between the legs and run, glad I did.
The storm closed extremely quick with a lot of lightning so I decided to drop the mast from about 1 km out, boats were racing in as the swell and a massive wind front hit. It was a catch 22, to head for shore I had to pedal parallel to the wind and the now white cap swells that were throwing me around like no one's business and headway into the swell/wind was almost nil, it was a real struggle, in the end I stuck the mast up and finished the run closer so I could at least get ashore if need be, where I dropped the mast again and then pointed into the wind on the pedals to get back to the safety of the harbor. I was exhausted by time I got back.

Being out in a big storm swell without the sail up, I think you are more vulnerable to being rolled and capsize, leave it up so you can point better and you end up looking like a kebab stick.

If I were to be caught again, I think I would chance the run back under sail and at least have more control.

Post subject: Re: 2011 AI design
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
Avoidance should definitely be your main consideration. Numero uno!

Dropping the mast whilst at sea could be contentious. You might be transferring the point of likely contact to somewhere else on the boat, even your head. But that's just conjecture on my part. My instinct would be to leave it up, and get the hell outa there, fast.

OK,.. a rubber skull cap too!