Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moreton bay sailers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi I am new to these post's, but look at the forums quite often and have picked up good tips & storys etc
Just checking if there are many sailors who use the bay on a regular basis, I have done a few overnighters over to blakeslys camp, and have sailed from Victoria pt to Caloundra via Tangalooma . Also go to the north pine dam to fish bass and quite a few other dams in the area.
Have ordered a new TI and hope to pick it up sept /oct, if theres any one Interested in that kind off stuff throw us a line

ainut

Post subject: Re: Moreton bay sailers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I am based at scarborough and just picked up my AI yesterday. I wa about to post a query to see if there are any other baya sailers about when i saw yours. Great. I am intending to do overnight/ camping trips to Moreton & down into the bay. What is your phone No so we can get together.
Cheers, Graham

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm on the Sunshine Coast and and can get to either Viccy Point or Redcliffe for a sail with a little bit of notice.

Ken.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Ken, I get up to see my brother in law at Mooloolaba accasionally. Would be good to hook up far a sail out from the river. Will drop an email when I'm up next or for my next trip out into the bay. Cheers, Graham. Drop me an email with your number.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi

I am also new to this site and live in Brisbane.

I bought a TI and am expecting delivery around 17th Sep 2010 from Sunstate.

I will be launching from RQYS at Manly when she arrives.

I ordered a red one with grey tramps and an evolution drive.

I will look to cruise around the bay islands and maybe when I am comfortable look at doing some extended trips.

I have some sailing experience having owned a number of small boats (Hartley 16') but I would not say I am a great sailer. I have a lot to learn!

Would be happy to do some group trips, etc.

If you see me around say hi. As I said mine is the red one and probably will have my wife and small white dog on board. (When I am proficient enough on it!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Angus,
Welcome to the TI world. I'm sure you will get the hang of it very quickly. Mine is red also!!
Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Gundie!

The hardest part so far is having to wait for the bloody thing!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Im on the final countdown for my red one too, ours must be on the same shipment

Ill be the Red Rocket with black tramps running out of Thorneside/Wello Point

Had a small spin on an AI for an hr or so but that doesnt really count as sailing experience

Might see you up Cooroy pickin em up, getting very itchy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bongorust

Mine is due in on 17th to Sunstate but I am picking it up at new store in Brisbane.

I will be not happy if it gets delayed too much after this date as I am going on an extended trip and I won't get to use it.

I ordered grey tramps as it was suggested to me they would match the sail but I am not 100% sure now if I made the right decision. I think so though....

I also got (because I figured I can use the boat in many ways) the evolution drive. Really - because I am lazy!

Never been in a TI/AI so looking forward to it.

I will be going in at RQYS and think my first trips will be to Green Island and then King Island.

How are you transporting? I was originally going to put on the roof of a 4WD but I did not think it through so much...Too much to lift it up on my own and have to assemble, etc.

I bought an easy trailer folding trailer and will extend drawbar...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When does the Brissy store open? The drive up sucks but I think its good being able to go out on Lake McDonald & get the run down from the guru's

Those are pretty much the initial sort of trips Im looking at, & very soon after, time & weather permitting, a weekend trip to peel sailing/camping/fishing

Im car topping on my 4runner ('95 hilux wagon). Had the heavey duty racks fitted the other week & jimmy'd up my own rack'n'roll loading system. It pretty much consists of a 1m x 20mm rod ($8), 700mm pool noodle ($2), adjustable tent pole with a 'U' fitting ($20) & 100mile tape & zip ties ($??). The whole thing cost about $32 as opposed to $180 for the RnR with the leg

Of course I hav'nt used to load the yak yet so I wont get too proud, the first few times loading will be very careful

A trailer would be ideal but we live in a complex & parking is already maxed out so a trailer in parking spot wouldnt make any friends

Ill hopefully pick ours up next week before we head up to Stanthorpe for the weekend, if not, the week after & hit the bay

I know there's not a lot of spots near Stanthorpe to hit the water but I aint leavin that bad boy at home the first weekend I get it! Storm King Dam will hopefully do

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Brissy Store opens up sometime soon but I expect not until closer to my delivery date.

Originally was going to load and jig up a rack and roll but I have a Hummer. After taking the racks off to start to make a self made rack and roll I began thinking... Man I have to assemble at the boat ramp, I am on my own a bit, etc etc etc so I thought maybe not. Also some just use the front door to get it up like a rack and roll principle.

Also 80kg all up plus having something inside the storage etc means 40kg (I know take off the weight of the akas, pontoons, etc, etc but still 20-30kgs onto the roof of a Hummer concerned me...and I am only 40! (also my brother wants to use it, etc, etc)

The trailer thing also was an issue as I had one and left it at work...in the sun it started to corrode, etc..until someone stole it.

So I have ordered an easy trailer so I can fold it up and rack my TI. Also needed a trailer for camping etc so I will have a multi purpose one as well.

I expect from time to time I will roof mount it if needed but I like the idea of getting to the ramp, putting it in and get going. (Also no dripping on roof)

Pool noodle will probably form some of my system to transport on trailer I expect.

Trailer without mods, delivered 8x4 plus spare wheel, stand, ply floor, hold down bolts was AUD$950.

...if I slip them an extra 50 wonder if I can jump the queue???? (just joking)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A Hummer? I can understand why you dont want to be dripping ANY salt on that bad boy. I've got a 5L garden pump sprayer to go over my yak after salt work to really limit the salt dripping, then when I unload I give the car a good hose down

I find the noodles with a hole through the middle are easier to work with as you have the centre mark always there

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have a couple of bits of carpet on standby so there's no dragging it's bum over rough ground when you're loading. Also a couple of old towels draped over the roof/doors might give a bit of comfort.

If you want company give me a yell on here. I'm just up at Sunny Coast and can get to Brissy easily and know the Redlands reasonably well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It is not so much the water dripping down on the car it is just a hell of a long way up. I am not a tall guy and I figured it could get interesting, etc.

How are you using the pool noodles?

I saw on one forum post lengthways on the trailer???

I was thinking this might be good??? I would not think one crossways on a roof bar would be ideal. Flipping it over on a roof concerns me I could scratch the car a whole lot. Plus one slip and there goes the Duco!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got two roof bars, not a full roof rack as such. I'm using the noodles along the length of the bars so when I tension the ratchet strap the noodles squash down instead of the yak pulling strait down on to the aluminium of the bars

Being able to have supports running the length of the yak on the trailer would be great

The 4Runner is in good nick but I certainly won't be breaking a sweat when something gets close to the paint, I think it would be fair to say a good scratch your roof would cost more than my vehicle.......come to think it the TI is almost worth as much as my vehicle! Whats that say about my priorities?

OG, I've got an old foam camping mat I'll use for vehicle protection & I got a $10 pair of knee pads from the hardware store to strap on to the foot of the yak to avoid wear & tear there while loading up

I've got a bro up Caloundra so will be doing a few trips up that way I'm thinking, will keep you posted