Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rip on rear Trampolines
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I noticed today that my tramps had a 2 inches rip , it is cause by the rear cross bar braket spare plastic screws that rubs against the tramps and especialy if you carried a passenger. To stop any further damages I cut a 5" x 5" piece of black foam (from a knee pad cushion use by gardener) and I put it in between and have it tie with a small rope . I will recomand anybody who sit or carried passenger on the tramps to do the same.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm curious to know what the folks at Hobie think of this. The picture on the box that the trampolines came in show the tramps on top of the aka brace, and that's how I've mounted them. But I wondered about the contact that the tramp had with that piece. Looks like it could be an issue.

Any comments from the Hobie guys? (I know they're away, so we may have to wait a bit to hear from them)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I always use the tramps with or without passengers and have lost one of the spare crossbrace screws on one side and a fair bit of black paint from the rub. I have always put the tramps on top of the crossbrace due to below would not be comfortable at all.
I guess a Hijack of the thread would be OK....? Also Hobie Guys..? Do you have a recommended Paint we can use to recoat some of these metal parts getting rubbed bare that will hold up as well as the factory paint in rub and Salt conditions? Thanks. E

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might want to try this under your tramps:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd like to see the bolts redesigned to a carriage bolt style. The ones with the rounded smooth tops. To me having to coat it with some of the insulation as show above just becomes another "thing" to have to take along, take care of, and maintain. To me, the boat has enough pieces and parts, I want to find a solution that doesn't require me to have to add any parts.

I know the bolts aren't metal, but I think this design of bolt would work well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those are for my bum more than anything. I sit on the tramps- a lot.

After the insulation on the brace is taped (or velcro'd) on it stays there, and requires zero setup or maintenance.

Carriage bolts require a square hole on the top side of the Aka and would change the bolts shear resistance.

I doubt you'll see this anytime soon. Till then, tramps are not cheap, a little foam or electrical tape is.

So once again we turn back to duct tape, bungees and yoga mat technology to solve our boat issues. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I realize that the carriage bolts have that square in them. I hadn't thought of the differences that it might make for shear resistance.

I'm surprised that this insulation that you use doesn't rip or tear, or get waterlogged (and therefore, heavy). That was my concern. I guess I'm going to have to look at a solution before my tramps start ripping because I think you (NOHUHU) and I both use them A LOT! I'd just like to avoid the electrical tape solution. A new boat shouldn't be taped together right? RIGHT?? Ah crap, I'm gonna have to tape it aren't I? :roll:

I'm still waiting to see what advice the Hobie people have to offer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Woodtracker wrote:
I noticed today that my tramps had a 2 inches rip , it is cause by the rear cross bar braket spare plastic screws that rubs against the tramps and especialy if you carried a passenger. To stop any further damages I cut a 5" x 5" piece of black foam (from a knee pad cushion use by gardener) and I put it in between and have it tie with a small rope . I will recomand anybody who sit or carried passenger on the tramps to do the same.

Dan

Dan, a couple winds of electrical tape should do it (keeping the nut on the bottom exposed. But many of us have removed the spare bolt and tied a short rope or shock cord there. This is looped around the Aka so if your brace gives way, you will never lose it. I highly recommend this mod.

BTW, I was sitting on the tramps yesterday and noticed a lot of spray coming from the rear Aka, near the hull. When I looked under the tramps, the brace was dragging in the water, while sailing at full speed. It had unlatched from the hull (landing a fish I think) and could have snapped at any time.

Try that without tramps!

Last edited by NOHUHU on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, here's my solution... it involves tape. :x

I've got those interlocking floor tiles underneath my boat when it's stored on its side. They have edge pieces which I am going to cut off and press onto the tops of the bolts and tape down. It means that I won't have a big long piece of insulation running the length of the tube, but just a small few inch section being covered by a spongy material which is water resistant. It's not a great permanent solution, but it should address my immediate concerns while still allowing full functionality of the original pieces, and you'll have to look a little closer to see that I've added something.

I'll get a picture of it later. First... off to the hardware store to look for some water proof tape. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Augx2, If removing the bolt and stashing it in the gearbucket doesn't work for you, check the hardware store for plastic (or chromed) bolt caps. There are many different styles.

But I would avoid these: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's my solution:

Bought some "Magic Wrap" Basically it's a rubber like tape that stretches a lot and fits around to create a water tight rubber seal. It's used by plumbers to stop leaks, so it's gotta be good for the water I'm in.

Then get an edge piece to the foam tiles that I had underneath my boat...

and cut some of the pieces off to create a small rectangle big enough to fit over the two bolt heads that sit on top of the brace.

Next step, wrap the tape around the brace with the foam pad squished onto the bolts.

In the end, I have a waterproof, pliable piece underneath my trampolines. The cross bars are still fully functional as they are still able to swing in the full range of motion and lock against the aka's.

One problem that I suspect will arise is that I've probably strengthened the shear bolts, so they would have lost some function. They'll still break, but it might take more force. So if you decide to do this, keep in mind that I have no idea if the bolts will shear first, or if the boat will sustain damage. For where I sail, in mostly wide open waters, it's a risk I've chosen to take in order to save my trampolines.

One final look.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh yeah, I mentioned that stuff in another thread re protecting the Aka paint. We call it "Rescue Tape" here.

It's like "duct tape" for the 21st century. :) Adheres to itself permanently. Uses no glue. Resists everything. Good thing to have onboard. You could even make a tourniquet or seal wounds with it. Requires cutting to remove.

Now I have 2 questions:
1. Why would you tape over the spare nonfunctional pin when you'll need to use it in an emergency? Makes more sense to me to remove it and keep it in the center hatch ready to insert, (without needing a knife and wrenches to get it off first). It won't poke you in the bum or tear the tramps while it's stored there.
2. I noticed you have a bolt, grommet and lock nut on your Aka attachment point. Is that standard? I have a pretty loose clevis pin and ring on my 2008 model.

Guess we need to talk about patching torn tramps too.

Ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spare pin? Probably shouldn't have done that, but I decided to keep everything in its original spot. After it was wrapped, I kind of realized... "That was dumb" but hey, I'm new at this, I'm here so everyone else can learn.

As far as the bolt over the clevis pin, thats what I've got. I haven't modified anything on my 2010 boat, so I guess that's how things come now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

augaug,
If you want to stop your aka brace arm from falling off and sinking in the event of a mishap, you should remove the spare bolt and loop some line/bungee through the hole and around the aka.
More on Bob's essential fix here:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=11745

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Highly recommend Bobs mod for the aka brace spare bolt and the cord added, as for the tramp rubbing on the second bolt, I would have thought hand sowing some PVC tarp on the bottom of the tramp at the wear point would do the trick, still leaves access to the aka bolts so you can easily check or replace when/if needed, also no unsightly foam/tape etc hanging off the aka's.

Something I had not considered but that's what I will be doing to protect them for the future, thanks for the heads up Woodtracker, welcome also :wink: .