Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI: Super Easy Fun
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just have to make a post on how simple and fun the AI is. I've been a Nacra cat sailor for 30 years and a kayak / surf ski guy for 15 years. Once again when I went to the lake I only trailered out the AI. Winds 15-25 and gusty, lots of white caps, lots of wet fun! Could have towed the nacra out and sailed it, but I was glad I didn't with the gusty conditions (and I sure didn't miss the 45 min rigging time) . Could have brought the surf ski, but would have had to work it against the wind, and probably would have hugged the shorline. The nacra and surfski are both high performance craft, but they would have needed alot of consentration all day just to stay out of trouble. The AI just blasted through it, and the gusts were effortless! (Love the small sail plane on this thing!) Yes it was over powered during a few gusts, but who cares! I didn't even have to reef in! (But it's nice to know I could have!). Once the gust stopped it just pointed back down for a wet ride! This is absolutely the easiest sailboat ever, and since you don't always have to be worrying about wind gust conditions, it is without a doubt the most relaxing sail ever!! And it rigs in 10 mins!!! And with my simple down hauls on the outbd aft outriggers it rips down wind. I know we all have used this forum to gripe about the little things, but let's face it- the AI is made for relaxing fun, and it dishes it out like a fat cow peeing on a flat rock! Thanks Hobie!

Post subject: Re: AI: Super Easy Fun
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree. AI and TI both rock. 10 minutes setup and away we go. Can launch our TI from the trailer or use the cart wheels if no boat ramp. Can handle all sorts of wind conditions and it is just too much fun. I can never get enough of it. Was out today and yesterday - looking forward to my next sail.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I cant wait for our spring/summer for my TI ride :D :D :lol:
I am planning to be out all summer on my new TI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Completely agree. It was gusty this weekend and I was either going to solo my Getaway or take the AI. I took the AI and had a blast. The roller-furler sail inspires confidence. Sometimes I wish it did have more sail area (can a TI mast fit in the AI?) but all in all a great easily maintained/rigged sailboat.

One thing that isn't mentioned but is pretty powerfull is the fact that you can take your hand of the "tiller" and the rudder maintains course. Most sailboats when you take you hand of the tiller you go to wind. With the AI your hands are your own. I thought of this as a big gust hit and I had a drink in one hand and the mainsheet in the other - I never touched the tiller.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ScottR wrote:
One thing that isn't mentioned but is pretty powerfull is the fact that you can take your hand of the "tiller" and the rudder maintains course. Most sailboats when you take you hand of the tiller you go to wind. With the AI your hands are your own. I thought of this as a big gust hit and I had a drink in one hand and the mainsheet in the other - I never touched the tiller.

Scott
Thats because you had the boat balanced well. Right amount of sail for conditions and direction (compared to the wind direction). Some get it right away, while others fight it by leaving a little too much sail out, thinking it will make them go faster.

Good job!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
...others fight it by leaving a little too much sail out, thinking it will make them go faster

:lol: That sound like me in my first decent gusts (~20 knots). The gust hit, and WHOOSH... around I went to weather, with the rudder completely overpowered and ama buried! Uncontrollable. Had I been in a mono hull, I guess I would have been knocked down to 45°, but the TI just handled it in it's stride. Wonderful!

I've since learnt the importance of playing the furling line, especially in very gusty conditions. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So is resistance on the rudder lever the only indicator you use to tell you that the sail needs furling ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the TI, that's the major one. Secondary on the TI is the ama burying.

On the AI, they are reversed, ama burying, then fighting the rudder.

And the exact amount of sail can vary, second by second, with the wind strength, wave size and strength, and direction sailed compared to the wind and wave directions. So, it's not simple to explain or teach. Then when you throw in gusts, it becomes an art, more than a science. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've found that how far you sheet out is a factor too. Especially in gusty conditions, it's easier initially to just ease the sheet out when the boat wants to turn upwind, but there comes a point where you are either turning upwind or the sail is luffing, so that's definitely a sign it's time to reef the sail.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree entirely about the ease of sailing an AI and how forgiving it is. Regarding reefing timing may I offer some opinions.
All sailing boats tell you how they're feeling in all conditions.
It's up to the helmsperson to understand how the boat is feeling. Similar to a car that has a flat tire, or travelling to fast for the conditions - it is not behaving as well as it can. So you see what it takes for the car to handle better. Increase the tyre pressure and reduce the power to make it handle better.

Trimarans talk a little differently than monohulls about their feelings. The steering is not overpowered as quickly on a tri however the leward hulls depth of submersion is telling you about the power being applied. Difficulty in steering and sinking the leeward hull is the boat asking you to reduce power.

Most sailers are reluctant to reef or delay reefing for to long. This causes the boat to handle poorly and puts un-necesary strain on the boat and sails. You are hurting the boat and not listening. Learn the language and listen and the boat will love you for it.

Please don't strangle your sail by pulling it on as hard as you can and half luffing the sail to point as high as the Laser you're chasing. Your boat is not a one design racing boat, leave some shape in the sail and let it run. It will reward you with speed. and fun!
Happy sailing and learn your boats language.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well said Dave