Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After waiting many weeks, I received the TI tramps, and put them on this arvo. First, let me say that the tramps look very well made, apart from the plastic buckles which some members have already had issues with.

However, I'm not overly impressed by the fit - and it's not the fault of the tramps, but the aka angles! My akas are all slightly swung aft with the braces in position as you can see from the pics. This results in the tramps being somewhat skewed, and indeed, they overlap both the steering and centreboard controls.

I can't see any way to adjust the aka angles - via the brace - to fix this up. Any ideas pls?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wow, that doesn't look right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I clip my further out as I had the same problem with the tramps overlapping the controls. I put the most inside clip just on the outside side of the hinge on the Aka. Does that make sense? I have not noticed the angle before I will have to look at that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CGM, I noticed the aka angle from day one, but was so happy just to finally get my TI that I didn't worry about it. I'm sure it doesn't affect performance or structural integrity, but it's sure mucking up the set of the tramps!

TYM, if I clipped the inside buckle outboard of the pivot point, I'd have a horrible shape to the tramps. :( If it worked for you, are your akas slightly skewed forwards by any chance?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
After waiting many weeks, I received the TI tramps, and put them on this arvo. First, let me say that the tramps look very well made, apart from the plastic buckles which some members have already had issues with.

However, I'm not overly impressed by the fit - and it's not the fault of the tramps, but the aka angles! My akas are all slightly swung aft with the braces in position as you can see from the pics. This results in the tramps being somewhat skewed, and indeed, they overlap both the steering and centreboard controls.

I can't see any way to adjust the aka angles - via the brace - to fix this up. Any ideas pls?

Just a comment re the doubling up of tramps with front skirts Max. In very strong winds and lumpy seas you will need to reduce the tramp area considerably or risk a blow over capsize. If this happens like it did to me, it becomes doubly difficult as the tramps have to be unclipped off the rear aka before you can collapse the ama and so righting the boat which is very difficult to do in those conditions.....Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure of the issue as I have the AI. However in the section for Islanders personal modifications/ideas there is as example called Kayak Bobs Spray Skirts on TI. Look at the pictures. It may be just a case of tightening in a certain order and adjusting starting with the positioning of the front inboard side of the tramps. The thread has them adjusted quite nicley. See the following:

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=26262

In addition I suppose you could reposition the ball (or just buy new ones and have 2 on each side as they are handy to hang stuff on) for the Cross brace bar a little more (maybe an inch or so) forward to remove the aft AKA rake aspect. Bear in mind this would need to be done carefully with mulitple measurements so not to increase an AMA toe in aspect increasing drag and AMA plow.

Recolon,, I'm interested in hearing your cut on the comment by Pirate about doubling up the tramps and the skirts and flipping. Also,,,I do not keep my tramps against the side of the hull (about an 8inch gap, strapped on the outside of the knuckles) as I like to occassional hang my feet over the side to cool off and or do a fish release from the foot well. I am aware that it IS possible (flip, cuse you guys got some big balls and go out in tuff stuff) but feel my setup provides a nice air relief gap to dump off lift. In addition I was thinking about swapping the skirts to opposite (port skirt for starboard) sides so that the back edge of the skirts are just paralle with the front of the AKAs vice the diamond setup as shown on your web site, to reduce double coverage in that area. But then the skirts would actually be out wider(more lift and or pitchpole plow).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sammy925 wrote:
Reconlon,, I'm interested in hearing your cut on the comment by Pirate about doubling up the tramps and the skirts and flipping. Also,,,I do not keep my tramps against the side of the hull (about an 8inch gap, strapped on the outside of the knuckles) as I like to occassional hang my feet over the side to cool off and or do a fish release from the foot well. I am aware that it IS possible (flip, cuse you guys got some big balls and go out in tuff stuff) but feel my setup provides a nice air relief gap to dump off lift. In addition I was thinking about swapping the skirts to opposite (port skirt for starboard) sides so that the back edge of the skirts are just paralle with the front of the AKAs vice the diamond setup as shown on your web site, to reduce double coverage in that area. But then the skirts would actually be out wider(more lift and or pitchpole plow).
I think Hobie tramps are probably fine for the TI as it's so much heavier especially with the large ama. I don't like that the Hobie tramp material doesn't let much if any wind through. I use a single 1/2 width tramp while fishing on an AI, and it's been fine in all conditions.

I have a set of Hobie AI tramps which I split one side (so far) to make two 1/2 tramps, and feel 1/2 tramps should be fine for the AI.

On my TI, I plan on making my own tramps, I haven't decided 1/2 width or larger. My newest fishing 1/2 tramp is made from shade cloth like my sprayskirts, but with 1" strapping sewn on about every 5-6" horizontal and vertical for strength. My fishing tramp can hold me and gear comfortably.

I haven't used it enough yet, but here's a sneak peek of it:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Pirate, very valid point. I'll be taking it a bit gingerly at first, until I get a feel for the limits - and how agile my moveable ballasts (the kids) are on the tramps. :wink:

Sammy, I guess moving the brace balls may be an option, but I'll wait and see till after using the tramps for a bit.

Bob!!! You need a stretcher to get your fish off the boat?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
Sure, it doubles as a fish stretcher! :) My last catch 3 weeks ago was tuna (shibi), about a meter long, over 12kg, mmmmm :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice fish! Do you cut them across-ways into steaks and freeze them?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mmmmm... Boy, that fish looks great, Bob!

Max, my TI tramps also overlap the controls a little bit. I was told by the dealer that the buckle closest to the hull needs to be mounted inside of the aka pivot-point for better weight dispersion. Makes for the overlap, but doesn't bother me since I use the rear seat for controlling the yak.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:

Right size for a marlin. Look out! Hawaiians are raisin the bar. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob, Thanx for the reply. That tramp is exactly what I was envisioning if to design my own, maybe just a little wider,,but yes with the sewn in cargo type netting underneath. The big closeable pocket also for gear and a head rest. The pockets on the Hobie design do nothing for me, maybe just flatten a tucked in nice cuban sanwhich. I wonder if someone at the factory had a couple of spare pieces and was thinking the lines should be tucked in there?
Anyway, you can expect me as a customer. After reading about the broken buckles I really changed my fishing plan. I was laying out on the tramps when trolling with my body positioned head forward looking back aft to watch my baits/rods. No longer an option till I get some type of re-reforced webbing buckle system in place. I've been watching the thread about the buckles and some are swapping to a different maker of plastic buckle, but for me that is NOT a long term option. Only metal with a fail safe catch will do.

Nice football Bob, I'm thinking ? Super hot grill, smear with garlic paste & olive, hit it med rare and serve w/ a lil horeseradish to the side. Fish steaks on top of butter crusted fried noodles, topped with Thai peanut sauce and shredded carrots,,,,,Yum. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:

Max,

I'm planning to take my TI out on Saturday. If it would help you I could try to measure all the relative parts and places to help you determine why your akas are not straight.

Let me know.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Jerry. I've relooked at the setup, and I guess it's wholly dependent on exactly where the aka brace balls are located. I think the balls should be mounted just a few millimetres further forward. As I can't drill another hole that close to the existing holes, I could try to accurately position new balls both forward and a bit inboard, as there is some room on the coamings at that area.