Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Just to be clear... this is a cosmetic issue only. None of this is critical to the function of the boat, but no fight here... a corrected length brace is the answer.

There are a lot of variables including the tab location that make this angle difficult to maintain in production, but we did see some tabs stray from the intended positions. The brace is the answer though. Tell the dealer what your braces measure and what length would make it right. We can make some braces to fix this if it is out of alignment by more than a few degrees.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree with you all the way that its a cosmetic issue only, the category I was pooled into, if you do not buy tramps.

But when you do buy tramps and depend on them to fit and function as intended then it becomes a safety issue. With the defective rear Akas (or brace) the tramps cover the forward rudder control, centerboard control and interferes with the rear mainsheet control because the tramps want to skew inwards.

My dealer is handling their end well, I'll continue to correspond with them to resolve the problem.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

Fyi...

Correct tab position is 12.75" on center from the aka pin hole. 22" is the correct strut length.

This swept back aka is due to a tab location difference between spec 12.75 and 12.875" or .125 (1/8")... not much if measured the same way?

The factory has been in contact with your dealer and custom length struts are on order.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In my case the tab needed to be 11.75" on center. Then if 12.75" and 22" are correct then either the crossbar or ball brace were moved post design. My new best guess (thats who I am) eliminating any hull warpage is that maybe someone purposefully moved something somewhere without regard to the effect of the tramps, seeing as the tramps are made in a totally different factory. Hey is that your Hobie baseball teams, the sail makers against the hull makers?

I heard the news also, they are great people to deal with.

Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Custom length struts will be shipping today!

I found out that yes... they have now moved the ball position slightly, so you are correct.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,
how do I go about getting AKA braces that are the correct lenth? My AKA's are not parallel and tramps are interfering with the tiller and center board controls.

Louis
Atlanta Ga.
2011 TI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I received the new braces and just now finally installed them. They work great, I am now able to fully tighten them and they no longer interfere with the forward controls or the rear mainsheet.

The last adjustment was a modification to the right tramp where it hit the hinge pin just by the forward harken block.

Dealers work hard to keep their customers happy. Support your local dealer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmm, i went on a long o/ seas trip when all this took place and was unaware of this issue.
I have a 2011 TI which has the out of square aka problem. I just thought it was the way they were designed.
Must say i am amazed that all TIs that have this problem weren't "fixed" prior to delivery.
I guess it only becomes an issue when/if you fit Tramps.
I have recently done this, using AI tramps, which were professionally shortened to suit the TI. When they were shortened, they were also "adjusted" to ensure they fitted nicely - taking into account the slight rake back of the akas.
With the benefit of hindsight, i would have preferred to fit the custom akas provided to dealers by Hobie. :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:21 am 
Site Admin

mickeymouse wrote:
i would have preferred to fit the custom akas provided to dealers by Hobie. :roll:

Understand that custom braces were not "provided" to dealers. They were (will) be provided on a need basis only. This was not an issue fully understood until long after most of the boats were delivered to consumers. As noted, it is a non-issue unless installing trampolines.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So, is this only an issue with older TI's?

If I buy a brand new 2012 TI along with tramps do I need to talk to the dealer about these custom braces?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rockcrawler wrote:
So, is this only an issue with older TI's?

If I buy a brand new 2012 TI along with tramps do I need to talk to the dealer about these custom braces?

No - it was only a small run of AI boats early in production with the new style x bars and aka connections (and some of the first TI's) the tab position was changed and the brace needed a new length.... this was handled long ago, all current production is fine.