Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is an interesting article I found on the Internet http://www.boatsmart.net/viewstory.php?story_id=112&year=2006

I hope everyone will read it before tethering themselves to their boat.

There really is a difference between a sailboat and a surfboard.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the AI, there is no way the unmanned boat going to drag a person behind to the point of drowning them. IMO

On the TI, being a heaver larger boat, were still not sure what could happen. And falling off a TI solo, verses tandem would be different because of the added weight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
On the AI, there is no way the unmanned boat going to drag a person behind to the point of drowning them. IMO

On the TI, being a heaver larger boat, were still not sure what could happen. And falling off a TI solo, verses tandem would be different because of the added weight.

If your sure why don't you have a friend drive your AI and try to hang on to line dragging behind it and see what it feels like. It would be an interesting experiment and if it starts dragging you under all you have to do is let go.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mahalo for the safety article Jerry. I will be reading the rest of the site too.

This is why I tether a velcro leash to my left wrist. Never to my leg. With a chest safety clip, you are going to get a face full of water for awhile, but will likely slow the boat faster too. Harnessing with a biner would be a disaster.

I would agree that being tethered to the AI (in any way) is not a serious threat in a MOB situation - at least not as serious as losing your ride at sea would be.

The TI is another matter and someone really needs to take a bath to figure this out.

At the very least, tie a couple sandbags to a PFD and toss them over at 6-7 knots. Or try it yourself. If you make it back to the boat, first thing you want to do is turn the rudder by hand and get the boat into the wind. Then attempt the recovery.

Just a tip - don't try these tests wearing your favorite hat and sunglasses.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What would happen if you tied the other end of the safety to the rudder lever so if you went OB it would not sail off into the distance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It would pull right off the rail.

Better to rig a kill switch to the mainsheet or tie onto the rudder up control?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the boat is balanced properly, it should always have a little weather helm. In that case, it will round to weather.

However, wind induced drift can be quite significant, so its definitely better to be tethered to the yak in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree on the surface the AI does not appear to have the power to drag someone under if they are being dragged along. One of my first boats was a 20' O'Day and I sailed a lot on a large lake. In the warm weather when there wasn't much wind I would tow people on my inflatable dinghy which was turned up side down. It was amazing to see how much force there was when someone tried to go in the water and hang on at 2-3 knots.

Everyone says the AI doesn't have the power to pull you under but so far there have been no takers on my challenge to let someone tow you on a line that you could let go of if you need to.

If having people wear a thether is such a good idea how come Hobie isn't selling them? They have tethers for paddles, Mirage drives, fishing rods, etc. but none for people.

I know surfers use a tether but do any other sports use one? Snow skiers used to but now use brakes partly because the tethers proved dangerous,

2008 AI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jerry, I did MOB tests with the AI recently and posted them here. The results were not dramatic. You can google them.

Have not tried it with the larger TI though. My impression sailing that boat a couple times is that it has enough torque to bury you (for a short while anyway). I would avoid a leg or chest tether on it until someone has proven otherwise.

Next time you are out, I invite everyone to lock the sheets, let go of the tiller and watch what their boat does. What directions it sails and how far. This behavior is what you might expect when you exit the boat without a return ticket.

Now drag your arms or legs off the side and see what that does.

Now pop the rudder up and see what happens.

Now furl the sail with no rudder. What does the boat want to do?

The more you can anticipate those situations, the better you will be able to handle them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nohuhu,

I could not find your MOB tests. Can you send me a link?

I like your idea regarding learning what your boat will do in different situations.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here ya go Jer
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=27286&p=113553&hilit=+overboard#p113553

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nohuhu,

Thanks for the link.

Having the tether tied to an ama will cause the boat to turn which is really a good idea. Now I need to find a volunteer to jump out of my TI. Anyone in NE Florida interested?

2008 AI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Send me an airfare and I'll be there in a flash, mate! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Max,

Why would you fly when you have a TI.

I hear there are some good winds out there now.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks gang for the great inputs.

I experienced being dragged through the water when I was learning how to wake board. At first, I didn't realize how much speed you needed to get above water when you don't have much boyancy to rely on. While the boat was increasing its speed, I was able to pronate my body and step up onto the water when the boat reaches a certain speed (I think about 8-10knots). When I didn't position my body correctly, I wasn't able to recover and learned how it felt to be a trolling lure :oops: Luckily it was just a matter of letting go - not an option if you're tangled or unconcious. At under approx 4knots, I was able to keep my head above water. But it was straining and don't think I could have maintained the position too long.

c2y

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next