Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS question.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know absolutely squat ( ie: nothing ) about GPS's and after reading all the posts I'm looking at getting the Garmin 76csx. The best price is on-line from the US and the price doesn't mention maps etc. What additional software etc do I need to get it up and running here around Australia ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Post subject: Re: GPS question.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Garmin Topo Australia is all you need ($199 last time I looked). Get it on disc (not SD card) so you can also install it on your computer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Chris.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter,

I agree Topo Australia is the best.
I have just got my Garmin Nuvi 500 (its a hybrid Car/Boat unit) and I have got Topo. I have not got my TI yet but I have the GPS for it!

Have a look at http://www.ryda.com.au/

Don't forget if you get it from the US you will/may get US maps and have to buy Aus maps. It may end up a little more than buying it here.

I also think that the GPS you have mentioned has been discontinued so you may get a good deal!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that Paul & Rebecca. It's about US$245 + freight on a couple of sites and with the dollar the way it is, it's a good deal. However as you and Chris are saying if you have to tack on another $200 for software, it all becomes an expensive exercise. If you buy it here for around the $350-400 mark 'topo' or similar doesn't come with it anyway does it ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adding Topo is nice, and I have it for Hawaii, but almost all of what I use my GPS for doesn't require it. You can always buy the GPS and use it without Topo while saving towards it. You may find you won't miss it.

I mark all major launches/landing and points of interest myself, so other than features and first time visits to places, it just makes it pretty. You can also use other free software like Google Earth to find 'future' points of interest and then add them by entering them into your GPS (lon. & lat.).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mate, the map supplied with the unit (the "base map") is very primitive, more of a rough diagram.
If you don't want to spring for the Topo map yet, I think it's still worth buying the GPS. It provides very useful information about speed, direction and velocity made good, plus track logs of all your trips. With a bit of fiddling, you can still plan all your trips using Google Earth and transfer the info to the GPS.
Also, I believe there are free maps available which you can download online (Mickey knows a bit about those).
If you decide to buy Topo Australia later, you also get street-by-street in car navigation, so that's a bonus.
I'd also check out the 60csx. It has all the functionality of the 76csx, but is more compact and doesn't float.
Both models have just been superseded, so should be available cheaply.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oops, looks like Bob posted just before I did. We obviously agree.
You can transfer points from Google Earth automatically, using GPSBabel (free software).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks fellas. I've been putting off getting one for a while but now looks like the time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter,
Just to confuse you a bit more. :roll:
I recently upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy. It's the iPhone knockoff and uses the Android platform. Free on an Optus $49 plan with 1GB data.
I recently installed the Navionics Australia Marine app and it is the best AU$15 I have ever spent. Complete marine charts of the whole of Aus with depths, tides, currents and even up to date wind forecasts (downloadable next 72 hours) available.
It loads the charts into the memory so you don't need mobile phone reception for it to work. Just a GPS signal. You can enter and save waypoints and routes just by tapping on the screen and it logs/saves your tracks etc for later export. Using it on the water you can see exactly where you are and a line is projected in the direction you are travelling so you can easily see where you will end up. It's very easy to scroll and zoom the map in use. As far as I can tell it does all that a GPS does (except maybe the VMG bit) and more. It actually gets a GPS fix quickly even indoors because it uses towers and wifi as well.
The screen is brilliant even in daylight. I have it housed in an Aquapac iPhone case.
The only downside I can see with this is battery life of about 3 hours using the GPS. The app works in the background so you can turn the screen off to save battery life. Fortunately batteries are cheap on eBay and I've bought 4 spare!
Lots of info including youtube video available by googling Navionics Marine phone apps (their main app is for the iPhone but it is very similar with Android)
I just wish there was a topo version of it for the mainland. Google Earth is great but relies on mobile reception. I am testing an app that converts maps for offline storage. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys, I've been doing a complete 180 on the smart phone GPS navigation on the water.

I've enthusiastically used (past tense) my iPhone and several apps, most notably Navionics - until we were down in the Cape Charles area, where I had the GPS function hang for several hours during two days out on the water. One day we were out for 8 hours and it only recorded 3 (completely missing the highest speeds we've ever experienced with the TI), and the second day it locked up right after we started, giving me an error message that too many apps were open (I thought that only happened with WinCE phones?).

Even after I closed all the offending apps, the GPS wouldn't function until I did a hard reboot of the iPhone. So that was the end of it for me as an always-on tracking tool. I still use it for the Navionics and NOAA charts, but have switched over to my Garmin as my main GPS navigation and tracking handheld.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got an Android phone too (HTC Desire), but I find that the touch screen doesn't work well when my fingers are wet. I've been using it in a standard Aquapac bag.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
I'm looking at getting the Garmin 76csx.

Don't forget they've also got the 78 series jobbies too. Probably more $$$$. Big change is the better screen. Found out about these after I got my 76csx. Nothing wrong with the 76 series though. Fantastic little units. Only gripes I've got is I'd like the screen above the buttons and then screen a little bigger.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well each to their own.

I have the ducks nuts Furuno on my 52' sports cruiser...and I hate it!

Too many button pressing remembering menus, etc, etc, etc.

I actually used my iphone navionics for basic nav (AUD15) but it was limited but worth the $15) and actually quite accurate.

I then went to inav and use Navionics Gold charts and nav on the boat with MacENC with usb GPS that uses same charts AND I can link in, etc, etc, etc (also have it on my ipad also)

This means it is very easy to plot routes, waypoints, etc, etc on any of 3 devices and combine/sync all information.

I now have an overboard waterproof pouch for my iphone I will use on the hobie and can import, export, take reference pics, etc, etc... with keyboard for naming, etc etc and I don't have to learn press button a then b... I mean c ...etc etc

NOW if I can only find a ram mount and waterproof case for my Ipad... something that actually works unlike those (censored) water proof GPS units that are not water proof!!

Did I mention it is a phone also... also other options such as HTC, andriod, etc are worth a look rather than specific waterproof GPS!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank fellas. I just realised that one of the reasons for taking up AI sailing was so I could get away from the tecno wizardry. The last thing I want to be doing out on the water is wondering why I can't get a signal when my polarity inverter frequency is interfering with my high-sensitivity qudiographic waypoints. Whatever I get will have to be simple. I'll look forward to talking about it at the weekend and keep you all posted on what I get. I was keen on the Garmin Colorado until I read all the reports which gave it the big thumbs down. Looked good though.