Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Question for Hobie and others. My new TI Dune has a different ama rear end shape than the two demo boats I sailed on. Is this a design change? The dune amas have a negative droop the last two feet or so back towards the water. THe demo boats and most of the pictures I see on You Tube show a continuous upward curve to the end of the ama. Using a straight edge there is about a half inch gap under the straight edge when touching the hull bottom. Both hulls about the same so I think its a change?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

No change of design. Yes, some have this look. Who knows... may be faster!

This is a long part and may droop if heated and stored unsupported. Use to be with the original windsurfer that guys would distort the shape to add or remove rocker for differing performance needs / opinions.

In any case... not likely to change the performance of the boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,
These amas had this look right out of the box. Could be faster but science would say slower is the other alternative. The more I look at these amas I am also seeing a bit of an issue with the symmetry of the amas along their length. Almost like they are toed in or out depending on which side of the boat they go. Using a string taped down on the bottom of the ama bow and run back across the centerlines of both aka holes the result at the tip of the ama stern is about 1/2
inch offset. Good thing they are opposites. Not sure which should be on the port or starboard though? Heels in or out? I am thinking I should carry these back to David at Action Watersports so he can document what I am seeing. Maybe this would not be a big issue for most but this is my EC ride next spring and these may be a few calories I do not want to burn if I get unfavorable winds. These also have the rear balance issue noted other places.
Only other issue with this otherwise great boat is the sail bag. The demo boats had real nice marine cloth sail bag, this model has a nicely sewn polytarp bag. It is functional but way less impressive than the cloth bag. Maybe a supply issue?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bosab, the amas should be symmetrical, and the 'droop' at the rear end is not right either. Makes me suspicious of bad transporting.

My TI arrived with a couple of indentations on the underside of the main hull... the dealer had it on a trailer with pretty thin crossbars (although padded), and I'd bet that was responsible for the deformations. But I consider those minor, with no noticeable effect on the yak, so I didn't make an issue of it.

Your amas on the other hand sound a bit more severe... if it were me, I probably would go back to the dealer in this case.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Yes, some asymetrical shape is known. Likely an ongoing issue due to the long and narrow shape. Once again, it is possible to correct this / re-shape them the same way they get distorted... with heat and pressure.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When you spend thousands of dollars on a product you shouldn't have to try and bodge it into its correct form

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:06 am 
Site Admin

The point is... the shape can change from a variety of causes.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChaosDave wrote:
When you spend thousands of dollars on a product you shouldn't have to try and bodge it into its correct form
Have to agree with you there. And I don't think I'd like to attempt 'heat and pressure' to reshape amas myself... so I'd be returning to the Hobie dealer for help with that one! :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

captain-max wrote:
ChaosDave wrote:
I'd be returning to the Hobie dealer for help with that one! :?

Certainly! If you have an issue, you should be contacting your dealer to help resolve it to your liking.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)