Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hiya you'all. last wednesday a hobie cat sailor strayed to close to the lineup on little fistral, newquay. had he had our mirage drive setup, he could have saved himself a lot of money, embarrasment and the job of collecting the remains of his cat. however, he didn't. watch the video here www.newquaysurfer.org

it was nice clean surf, and to get to little fistral he must have sailed over a number of set swells, so no excuses there. as you'll see if you read the article, he is well known in newquay harbour as 'captain calamity'. a few years ago he was forced to take a sailing course on account of the number of times the rnli were called out to assist him.

he obviously didn't learn a lot.

cheers
trippingwet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting video but I wouldn't bet on the Mirage drive saving him.

It looks like he had wind which meant he had power and could steer. The wave just ate him.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not advisable to take big mongo waves broadside. Also important safety tip - try to avoid running over people surfing when you attempting to dipose of your boat...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hi dosjers.
let me explain. because of the topography of the area, coupled with the fact that here we have both cliffs and headlands, the wind direction and strength can change or drop off quite unexpectedly. what wouldnt change is the fact that on a 2ft swell, the sets will be slightly larger and that they will continue to pulse in, as sets of waves do. and through personal experience, if you peddle your mirage drive and turn your tiller, the ai turns. using the momentum and changing direction to head into an oncoming swell, albeit about to break, is often all thats needed to clear it, but without the ability to turn through lack of momentum, with the wave (as shown) catching you side on, youve got problems. so 'our' mirage drive would get many of us out of his predicament, something he couldnt do.

easily!

tw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TW,

My point was that he was sailing in the video which means he should have been able to turned into the wave if he wanted to. The article says he is an experienced sailor and I think he just blew it.

It would be interesting to hear what he has to say about what happened

I know my Mirage drive wouldn't have helped me in this situation because I carry it in case the wind dies but usually it sits in the cockpit tethered to the boat. When I learned to sail I was taught that a sailboat is meant to sail and will perform better under sail power than using the auxilary power such as an engine or Mirage drive.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From reading the article, it seems that "Captain Calamity" is an 'extreme sailor', an eccentric, a 'bloody menace', and a whopping expense to the RNLI. Oh, and also 'a character and a really nice guy'.

Although it would be tempting to say 'safety this, safety that' and 'shoulda done this, shoulda done that', I kinda just admire him for his balls and sense of fun. :lol:

(OK, now I'm gonna duck for cover)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Max,

I don't envy him but I can understand why he pushes the limit.

Personally I believe everyone has the right to kill nthemselves as long as they don't take anyone with them. (He should have given the surfers a litle more room.)

2008 AI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
I don't envy him but I can understand why he pushes the limit.

Only good reasons I can think of to ride *that* wave like that would be if his Wife left him and his dog bit him, or maybe if his dog left him and his wife bit him...

Shame to waste a perfectly good Hobie like that...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

... at least he (partly) cleaned up after himself :roll:

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:37 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Shame to waste a perfectly good Hobie like that...

Love that all cats are a "Hobie", but to clarify... not a Hobie Cat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Love that all cats are a "Hobie", but to clarify... not a Hobie Cat.
No, not a Hobie... had it been an Island he could have used a coupla bits of bungee and put it all back together again. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dosjers,
understandably, no ones mirage drive would do any good unless onboard and plugged in. what i was insinuating (didnt think i'd have to explain it though) was that if he could have powered himself enough to effect a turn, he probably would have. so would i. with my drive in, i'm able to power forwards and turn when i need it most. and if you find yourself in a surf zone situation where you cant power forwards, nor turn, its likely you will look like a sitting duck. thats what he looked like.
i agree he was sailing without due care and attention but after all, he's known for it. and before anyone keelhauls me for putting myself in a potentially similar situation, i fish and try to get as close to where the fish feed. he wasnt.
others dont.

thats it from me.
tw

ps. matt, point taken.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tw,

I was joking. I know the Mirage drives won't work unless they're plugged in.

My point is that the boat was sailing when he got hit by the wave. In other words he had stearage and since he was on a port tack he normally would have been able to turn to starboard. The surf either prevented him from doing it or he just screwed up. All a mirage drive does is move your boat frorward so you get stearage. I still say it would not have helped him.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As a surfer... people like that are a menace. See that kind of behavior all the time. Saw something similar about a decade ago in Florida but the wave pushed the boat into a fishing pier. Glad the ocean ate his boat. Would have been cheering if I was there.

As a taxpayer...people like that need to be given the bill for the rescue. Same thought should apply to those that climb mountains without the proper equipment and need rescuing.

As a person who likes to push the limits also... films like that are what cause politicians and do-gooders to go overboard with public safety regulations.

Glad no one was hurt and that Captain Calamity is still one step ahead of the Darwin Effect.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fly4v,

I agree with you totally. Even though I think every person has the right to kill themselves I also think they should be required to pay for the mess they create before they do it.

2008 AI