Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

RR, At the end of my post I was going to put "RR ,input please",,,,,,,,but of course, I knew you'd chime in LOL. I just knew it. Thanx. No take away to auagaug, its the first time I didn't x2 on his input I think . I just took issue with "any idiot" when some train extreme in well thought out plans and with much varied input and trial. My point in final is,,,this is a special type of craft that has abilities far beyond what is at first glance and can stand its own ground in the A or AI mode. Like I said, don't buy a BAJA off road racing machince when all you need to do is go to the store with a scooter.

Quote:
Now, penorman and others that think they are going to generally beat a sea kayak to a given destination on a given day, forget about it. My experience has been that the kayakers will usually get there first because they are not dependent upon wind direction or strength. Yes, wind in their face will slow them down, but definately not stop them. Of couse, w/ favorable winds, the AI/TIs will beat the kayakers hands-down. But, that is usually not the case (i.e., favorable winds.)

How ridiculous. If no strength is involved you give your grandmom your yak to paddel and I'll give my grandmom mine to peddle and we will just see. More like your yak in YOUR favorable conditions (flat calm, no wind) to get there first????,,,and first ain't gunna happen. MY yak needs no favorable in A mode.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I apologize for offending anyone with my previous post in this thread. I think that my statement was very much misinterpreted from my original intent. By saying "you" I meant the average Joe, not any person in particular, and my "any idiot" statement was obviously the wrong term to use, but my intent was to say that the skill level of operating the mirage drive was much lower then an efficient paddle stroke. Strength and physical fitness would be required for both. Please accept my apology if the statement offended you.

I have no problems with those who disagree with my theories about the speed of these boats, I could very well be wrong, but I would never intend to offend anyone with my posts, and I would hope that anyone who reads my posts would read them with that assumption.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Certainly didn't worry me. I bought the AI BECAUSE I know my skill level. :D

It's a great boat, designed and built to it's market.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maybe Hobie might consider comming out with a fiberglass or carbon fiber touring kayak designed with a Mirage drive... ;)

Only problem would be that I couldn't be bouncing on the rocks when making a landing anymore. ;)

It's all good...

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I know they would be more expensive, but I'd like to see a fiberglass AI. They could modify the design a little to make them a bit more wave friendly. I would have been willing to pay more for the boat because of the lighter weight, faster speed and longer life. Yes, they get damage from impacts, but the big difference is that you can repair hull damage.

On the other hand, I can understand why that won't happen. Sit on top kayaks are attractive to a larger population due to the shorter learning curve and the greater versatility. That, and the lower price point, opens them up to a larger market. If they came out with one next year, even I wouldn't be interested - the way I take care of my boats, I don't expect to out live this one :) Case in point, I have a 17 year old white water kayak in the garage that has lived through many seasons of white water work, including a previous career as a rental, and, other than the rock rash, the boat is fine. It is enjoying a second life as general purpose boat.

I'm content with the versatility and performance of the boat. Since purchasing it earlier this year, the other kayaks, canoes and sailboat have been sitting on the bench.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Instead of fibreglass, I'd like to see it made out of Thermoformed Plastic, like my previous "Delta Kayak"

It looked great, just like fibreglass, but was still extremely durable, so you wouldn't have to worry about touching rocks.

Here's a video showing the hull strength. It was also VERY lightweight. Most kayaks weighed the same or lighter then a similar fibreglass boat.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkdaqwQxiFc[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yes, but WILL IT BLEND? :twisted:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:D Only you NOHUHU. I didn't even have to see who wrote that to know it was you!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well this tread contains lots of interesting ideas about speed. Of course it will be hard to compete with an AI with AMAs mounted. If you are serious and want to compete with normal kayaks you first need to convert to Adventure kayak mode.
With normal kayakers you have a good chance to beat them. The longer distance, the better for Mirage Drive and your leg muscles.

I have tried to race fast kayaks and good paddlers on the training site DailyPaddle.com, and I have no chance what so ever on shorter distances.

But it evens out a bit when we go for 100km (62,14 miles). The best kaykers still win but I am not so far behind.

If you want, you can try your best and participate on DailyPaddle.com. I am the only with pedaldrive so far.
Beat me in 1km - go under 6min 9sek!
Beat me in 5km - go under 32min 27sek!

Don't talk about speed - do it! :D :D

best regards
thomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good info, Thomas.

Man, those are some distances to be paddling/pedaling!

One thing that non-paddlers don't consider is that serious kayak paddlers use "powerful" back and stomack muscles in addition to their arm and shoulder muscles. If they like to race, they will have kayaks designed for speed.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kal-P-Dal wrote:
Beat me in 1km - go under 6min 9sek!
Beat me in 5km - go under 32min 27sek!

Interestingly, those are about the times a reasonably fit power walker would take to cover the same distances.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kal-P-Dal wrote:
1km - 0,621miles - 00h-06m-09s - 9,756km/h - 6,062Mph

5km - 3,107miles - 00h-32m-27s - 9,245km/h - 5,745Mph

10km - 6,214miles - 01h-07m-29s - 8,891km/h - 5,525Mph

25km - 15,534miles - 03h-10m-19s - 7,882km/h - 4,897Mph

100km - 62,137miles - 15h-33m-00s - 6,501km/h - 4,039Mph

122,2km - 75,932miles - 24h-00m-00s - 5,092km/h - 3,164Mph

These are my results with a Hobie Adventure and turbofins.

thomas freye

This is what I posted in an other thread. By the way, I can run (or maybe this speed is more like jogging) 5km just under 30min, so my physical condition is no more than average. I am 57 years.

If you visit DailyPaddle.com and examine what kayaks the others have, you see that there are some really fast ones. I think the the best paddlers also are very skilled and have better condition than me. But when it comes to "normal" kayakers, an Adventure has a very good chance to beat them. We can go on for hours.

I would love to have some more Hobies at DailyPaddle.com.

best regards
thomas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey : To anyone looking at fiberglass,( Goggle) BackBay Boat Works and then post your thoughts, There is one fast secure trailered boat..problem is double the price, for speed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How about with Torqueedo? All is good/fair when traveling with sea kayak in a stright line towards a determined location. I have not tried the rear mount location. Do enjoy side mount and thru hull. Have thought about TI with motor to the front, peddles to rear, part time paddler at front, if two people are along for ride. Check BackBay Boat Works for alternate craft ideas.