Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I ran across these inspirational videos last night.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvaQuXcsVk&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

These pretty awesome human sculptures are being installed underwater. The figures explore man's relationship to the ocean reefs and are even designed to morph into reefs over time. Hope you'll find it as fascinating as I did.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrJJ4LgiePA&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

Made me a little more aware of my surroundings and more enticed to explore the threatened coral ecosystem just below my Hobie. (Kinda like Cindy's videos). :)

http://www.underwatersculpture.com/index.asp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow. If you didn't know they existed, I can't help but think it would be a bit spooky coming across them on a pleasent scuba dive.

Thanks for that mate.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's like 'if a tree falls in the forest and nobody was there; did it really fall?? :roll:

It would be great to SCUBA dive and see it; but what about in a few years time when the sea life has grown over it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's when it will really be cool, as the coral takes full hold and more marine life uses it as a refuge! An artwork that is constantly, silently evolving.

They built the figures out of porous material to encourage the coral formation, and placed them in shallow waters near shore where even casual snorkelers and boaters could visit them. Such fantastic clear water and lighting there.

There's a strong educational effort in our region of the Pacific to raise awareness re the disturbing trends of coral depletion and bleaching. Seems to me, none are quite as effective as the statement this single artist is making.

Maybe he will expand these underwater installations around the world, like Wyland's whale walls. Love to see one here.

You can keep an eye on his website. They update the photos and videos regularly, as the work "progresses".

As sailors, we tend to avoid reefs, or use them for safe harbor. This weekend, I'm going to carefully drop anchor and explore a few. Never know what you might find.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The pics do look great; maybe I will be able to see this at some stage in my life :!:

It is unfortunate that the close up of the lady with the coral looks like my mother in law :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :shock: :o :lol: :lol: