Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are going much off shore, I'd recommend an EPIRB, just in case. Also spares of anything you rely on (Mirage drive, paddle). Also a hand pump and sponge is high on my 'must' list.

Here are two older posts on what I carry. Both were originally for the AI but mostly the same for the TI:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8424&highlight=
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10418&highlight=

Like any boat, you need to find it's (and your) limits. The AI and TI hold up amazingly well in rough conditions, and have never let me down. The TI I find can be quite a handful to control over 18mph winds (bigger mast, sail, rudder, etc.). With the AI, you just start having less control above that win speed (small mast, sail, rudder, etc).

Both great boats!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great read, thank you! I was wondering if the spare parts in his list could be purchased through a dealer as a package that would include all the above specific to my model or would I have to order individual parts? I could use a little guidance on a epirb, I have never bought one. I have researched hand helds as that was at the top of my list of must have items so maybe I can find that article again, seems as though several weren't as advertised. I have never been so complete as the list suggest, we boated in groups but was and am very safety minded. I truely do thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nuatitude,
Have you given consideration to buying TWO AI's? It depends to some extent on your wife's attitude to sailing. If she prefers to be a passenger, the TI is perfect, but if she would like to have a little control, she may enjoy having her own boat. Two boats can be fun because of the increased opportunities for interaction - "tacking duels" etc. It would also enable you to go out with your fishing buddies - the AI takes about 10 minutes to learn how to sail (though a lot longer to learn to sail it really well). A Ford Ranger pickup could easily be set up to carry two AI's (Kayaking Bob could advise you on that) and they would still be far easier to load and unload than a single TI. Also, two boats are safer than one if you're going far offshore.
Just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good idea, didn't enter my mind I guess because she just isn't nautical, zero, zip! Although you have sparked an idea, I could buy an Ai for me and put her on the tramp when she wants to go and buy an outback or something like that to take a guest in. Not much more money to buy both versus one Ti. There wouldn't be much of a race HeHe, I could reef part of the sail just to keep it fun for them I supose. Outback is 1,800 and Ai is 3,600 and the Ti is 5,000(outback just came to mind, may be something different) although I must admit, the idea of the feel of speed again with a 95 sq ft sail and a fast hull is sounding mighty interesting. I can remember that feeling from racing go-karts, felt like a hundred miles an hour but actual only 50 or so being that low to the ground, HeHe I would think the feeling would be simular. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't sailed a TI, but most people are reporting only a small difference in top speed between the TI and the AI. I don't know if the subjective sensation of speed is greater in the TI. I can certainly guarantee you there is plenty of woo-hoo factor in an AI when it's hiking along.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chrisj, If they are near the same the Ai and the Ti then I would like to ask-If you were waiting for a perfect day to sail what type of seas and wind would you look for. I' m not sure how to ask more specific but maybe you could shed a little light on that subject. I would hate to set a good day out not knowing. I know I'm getting the cart before the horse but just as curious as the need to know for now. I guess each yak sails different but as you have stated the Ti is simular to yours.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Safety gear needed:
For you:
PFD,
Hat (preferably one that will also protect neck etc),
Sun Screen,
Dress for prolonged immersion and Wind Chill not being comfortable on top of the kayak,
Always wear a PFD,
PLB (Personal Location beacon) on PFD (off shore must have),
VHF radio (hand held) on PFD (off shore must have),
Sheath-ed Knife or line cutters attached to pfd,
Whistle attached to pfd,
Signal mirror on pfd,
V sheet in pocket of PFD,
(Optional) Water dye marker in PFD,
always wear your PFD and you have always got your safety gear.

On the Kayak:
Rudder Pins,
Protected Hydration Packs (and don't put all your eggs in one basket),
Eperb (off shore must have if no PLB on PFD),
Aerosol horn, (if using kayak on its own, no sail, low profile on water and hard for boats to see, better than whistle),
First aid kit (in IPX7 or better rated waterproof case or two layer dry bags) (always check clean and dry after each trip),
Good quality waterproof 360 degree white light (if night sailing/fishing also marker lights) Waterproof Head torch also very handy (LED will give the longest battery life).

Be warned, AI's and TI's are very hard on equipment, they are a very wet ride and all your gear is going to be constantly under spray pressure and coated in salt water. If you want things to last, you "MUST" look after them and maintain them. If you want things to last, get quality items and if it's possible, get "Waterproof" not spray resistant.

I have bought a lot of stuff and thrown a lot away, the items that do last are quality or dive rated waterproof, you don't have to brake the bank, just look for good quality, if possible waterproof and keep it clean with regular washing and protect with water displacement products like Inox, WD40, CRC.

Hatch seals need to be kept clean and then lubricate with Armour All, or MrSheen (nothing to greasy for sand to stick to) (If you are in a fix, sunscreen will work till you get home).

Mainly because I am sailing and therefore relying on the use of the sail, I think a complete drive would be a very bulky spare item, IMHO you would be better off with regular maintenance and replace worn items before venturing out. Carry spare fins and shafts (in case you hit a reef), spare cables and more importantly the tools to be able to do the repair if need be, mind you if a drive broke and I was drifting further to sea while I replaced the spares, it would be nice to just stick a new drive in :lol: .

Rudder Pins, keep a regular check and replace if need be before you go out, better than trying to replace one on the water but always carry a spare in case you hit a reef or some marine life :roll: (darn jelly fish).

Looked at your photo's, :o WoW looks great and should be no problem what so ever doing launches of either an AI or TI, in fact I am now very jealous :mrgreen: and planning to move, well not quite but it looks great, enjoy and looking forward to here how you go cobber.

As for sailing speed etc, 20 to 25 knots is probably the most you want to be out in, if you can find some flat water a few meters deep in those winds, reef some sail in and the top of your head will fall off because you will be smiling that hard.

About 6 knots is the lowest it will work in (slow) but hey, if the scenery is nice along the beach, why hurry, kick back and enjoy. If trolling lure's well speed will depend on the lures, type of target species, depth etc but I would mostly work between 4 to 7 knots, if towing a skirt for Kingies, as fast as I can get and still haven't caught one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nuatitud wrote:
Chrisj, If they are near the same the Ai and the Ti then I would like to ask-If you were waiting for a perfect day to sail what type of seas and wind would you look for. I' m not sure how to ask more specific but maybe you could shed a little light on that subject. I would hate to set a good day out not knowing. I know I'm getting the cart before the horse but just as curious as the need to know for now. I guess each yak sails different but as you have stated the Ti is simular to yours.

That's easy - seas slight, wind about 15 knots. From what I can gather, in low wind days (about 5 knots), the TI is more responsive. From what Kayaking Bob is saying, the AI is easier to handle in high winds ( greater than 18 knots). Really, anywhere between 5 and 25 knots is OK. I've been out in 30 knots. The boat handled it, but it was more of a struggle for survival than a pleasure.
As to the seas, the boat will handle rough conditions, but goes faster in flat seas, like any boat. I don't know if you've seen Stringy's classic clip of a group of us out in choppy seas. It gives some idea of how the boats handle rough conditions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kEvXDXw5qE[/youtube]

Oops, I just realised Kayaking Bob isn't calling himself Kayaking Bob anymore. I'm talking about Reconlon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Oops, I just realised Kayaking Bob isn't calling himself Kayaking Bob anymore. I'm talking about Reconlon.

Oh I'm still Kayaking Bob! :)

I just originally set up my account here as reconlon, and I never found how to change my ID to Kayaking Bob. (Embarrassing for a computer geek) :oops: :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I feel as though I'm out there already with all the fine details and video. Matter fact I think this week-end would be a perfect time to drive down to the beach and check out all my options for lauching the Ai-Ti. Might just as well strike up a conversation to see if there are any sailors in the lot. Its funny how looking at that ramp thru the eyes of a power boater and then looking at it from a different frame of mind might make a huge difference. From the list, I have several things from a couple search and rescue kits I have laying around. You guys have provided a big shopping trip in my near future but for now I'll just have to wait. I called the dealer and he doesn't have either in stock, said it could take 5 weeks from the day I order. I'll just hang around the beach more to see who might be interested in filling 1 of my 2 seats, would help with choosing Ai or Ti. Thanks Elm and others!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nuatitud,

We owned 2 AI's for a year and sailed them a lot. Then we bought a TI for me and sold one of the AI's last May when the TI's first came out. Since then I only took the AI out once because I was going out with a guy who just bought an AI and asked me to go out sailing with him because it was his first time on his AI. The whole day I missed my TI.

The AI started as a peddle kayak and was then converted to a sailing trimaran. The TI was designed to be a sailing trimaran from day one and when you sail the two of them you can feel the difference. The TI feels like you are sailing a real sailboat. It normally doesn't stall when you tack as long as you're going 2 knots or faster and the bow doesn't submarine like the AI.

It is a bigger boat and to be fair my wife would tell you get the AI because it's easier to handle. The TI is harder to launch and pull out. It is also harder to paddle especially against the wind while you're trying to get out to where you can raise your sail but once the sail is up the boat sails like a dream.

If you're fishing from the AI you are surrounded by the amas and akas. If you're fishing from the back seat of the TI you're behind the rear aka so you could bring a fish up next to the boat.

Someone said they thought the AI would be better in higher winds. I don't agree. A larger stronger boat is almost always safer in higher winds.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi dosjers, thanks for putting that up, I am yet to try a TI and that's a very good summery to get an idea of what they are like as a sail boat compared to the AI.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I thank you as well, good to know. I just went back to hobie's web site to refresh my memory and the only thing that stuck out for me was that the Ti states that it has a carbon fiber mast but the Ai didn't list. Do you know if they are different and if different wouldn't carbon fiber be a big plus, weight, strenght etc.? Do you think there would be a bigger learning curve between the two? I've been curious for awhile about what speed can be produced by pedaling at a pace the could be held for long periods of time and again thinking of either or Ti-Ai, looking for 3-4 mph for trolling?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Both have carbon fiber masts, but the TI mast is more flexible, which in very strong wind >18mph makes it difficult to reef, even with most load off of it. With the AI, just let out some sheetline and you can reef the sail, even under load.

Anyone can pedal an AI with regular fins, and most can pedal it with turbo fins without difficulty. After a few outings (for your legs to get use to it) you should be able to pedal for hours at 3-4mph and up to 7-8mph for a sprint. The TI is similar, but takes more pedal strokes to get it started, and is a little more load on your legs to keep the same speeds (pedaling single). Pedaling double, you can do a little better than the AI.

Both are great boats, but they feel quite a bit different, because of the extra mass and flotation of the TI. With the AI, most of us sit in a small puddle in the seat and at our feet. In the TI, everybody stays dry below 6mph. Starting at 6mph the bow wave hits the forward aka knuckle joint and sprays everywhere (unless you use a sprayskirt).

As far as learning, by your self, the AI is a little easier, but I take most people out in my TI first, and teach them about the boats. Then when they go into the AI by themselves, most things are familiar. Makes it much easier when they have already pedaled. sheeted and reefed the line and steered another Hobie.

Have I mentioned, both boats are fun! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thought I add a drift chute to the safety list. A family friend who navigated from South America to the Big Island recommended I carry one in case of marginal seas.

Didn't have to use it in an emergency. But, it does come in handy during drift fishing.

cliffs2yak

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next