Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi all,

I know of a few changes for the 2011 A.I. over the previous years. Seat, rudder handle, AKA joints, but are there any other changes under the skin, or that I've overlooked...

I'm currently in a bit of dilemma: Do I go for a very nice 2009 used A.I., or do I blow another $1500 on a spiffy new 2011 model?

Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm, if it's only been sailed by an old pirate to church on Sundays, I'd take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
are there any other changes under the skin, or that I've overlooked...

Biggest change is likely the new rudder. It's larger. This will not be retrofit-able on an older AI.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a BIG difference :o :shock:
Have you factored in any dealer discount on the 2011 model???
The 09 must be REALLY cheap!!!
I recently sold my 09 & bought the 11 but nowhere near that much :roll:
Maybe you should buy the 09 QUICK if it's that much difference and in good nick. There really wasn't anything the matter with it - in fact, in my opinion it was a dryer boat than the current model and I never found the rudder lacking either. Everything worked fine - all I upgraded on it was the turbo flippers, original seat posts (were a pain in the @#$$) & eventually, the original Trax cart to the Trax 2.
Almost forgot to mention the upgraded rudder pin too :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

Last edited by mickeymouse on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If money is not real tight, I would go for the 2011. Personally, I think the rudder could be a big deal. My 2007 and my wife's 2009 are regularly overpowered by the wind--I know, I know, depower the sail. Still, a more substantial rudder would get my vote. Of course, there are other, less important improvements of the 2011 over the 2009 (don't ask me what they are--they have been mentioned on this thread.)

Getting the 2011 will also keep you from laying awake at night wondering if you should have gotten the 2011.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
it was a dryer boat than the current model

Why do you think that? Same hull, amas, sail... only the crossbar and aka connection is different.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The new mid-point carry handles and the hull modification throws a lot of water directly into the cockpit.
The new aka connectors appear to lift the amas slightly higher than the old pin connector and the boat seem to sit lower in the water.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can anyone on the forum report on their experience using a 2011 and a pre-2011 rudder on an AI?

I also sail a Maricat, which has huge twin rudders and can effectively resist the tendency of the boat to weather helm, but it just feels like driving with one foot on the accelerator and one on the brake. In the end, I find it easier and less tiring to let the sail out and keep the boat in balance.

Does the new AI rudder really help with the boat being overpowered?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a 2010 Adventure and a 2011 AI. The 2010 adventure doesn't require the rudder bungee to remain in the down position. My 2011 rudder has the bungee retainer modification and I use it all the time. I have had the 2011 rudder pop out due to too much sail in heavy wind and large surf when not using the retainer.
The 2011 rudder is pin is much stronger than the 2010. The larger rudder blade is nice but I find reefs and rocks rather quickly. If I did the same in the 2010, I'd have quite a collection of broken pins.
New is nice and I don't know what the economy in Australia is like but if money isn't tight. Buy the 2011 just to thank Hobie for making Dune.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mingle wrote:
Hi all,

I know of a few changes for the 2011 A.I. over the previous years. Seat, rudder handle, AKA joints, but are there any other changes under the skin, or that I've overlooked...

I'm currently in a bit of dilemma: Do I go for a very nice 2009 used A.I., or do I blow another $1500 on a spiffy new 2011 model?

Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike.

Go the 2011 model like me Mike. After all you only live once....Pirate :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or ..... you could spend the $1500 you saved on a decent GPS with maps (~$600), a set of trampolines (~$400) and a good quality waterproof camera (~$500) - all terrific enhancements to the AI experience. You might even be able to squeeze in a marine radio.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Or ..... you could spend the $1500 you saved on a decent GPS with maps (~$600), a set of trampolines (~$400) and a good quality waterproof camera (~$500) - all terrific enhancements to the AI experience. You might even be able to squeeze in a marine radio.

Chris - all very true - and you didn't even mention the Hennessy hammock. 8) :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

@Mickey,

I'd be very interested to hear how much you paid for a 2011 A.I.

My local dealer quote me $4300 for the basic boat, that's not even including a cart!

Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll take a different route and ask a couple of questions first -

1) Have you sailed small craft before and like it ?

2) Do you understand the A.I. is a "Wet Ride" and are OK with that ?

3) How often would you plan on using it ?

To explain my questions I'll detail my own case - I bought a used 2007 A.I. last year for $1800 outfitted with with tramps, Turbo Fins, and wheelEze cart.

While I've sailed small craft since I was a boy (48 now) I never owned my own. When buying, I knew I was going to enjoy it before even getting aboard - but I dont have the opportunity to sail all that often. The odd day during the weekend when nothing else is happening ... or a day off during the summer; plus I live in NY so the season is really only from may - oct.

I've always enjoyed sailing but with other hobbies and family obligations I wasn't sure if it would become a priority for the little "ME" time life doles out

So, the choice to buy used was perfect for me for that price - I figured if I didn't like the craft I could probably flip it without loosing much if any investment. Buying new and deciding to get rid of it I would have lost at least a grand off the bat. It also didn't pain me much to miss a day out - I wasn't thinking "my $$$$ toy is sitting over there getting no love or use".

... now that I DO love it, I can still resell my 2007 without losing much of my investment and upgrade (something I am currently thinking of ...)

Do I miss having any of the new features ? I wouldn't know ... they sound great, but, to use an analogy ... did I miss having alot of creature comforts of a brand new car when I bought my first set of wheels - an old clunker ? Heck no ... I had wheels and freedom !!

I felt the same all last season with my A.I. - I had a good sound boat that sailed great and I was having a blast.

... If you've been on an A.I. before and have the means to buy a brand new toy and have the time to enjoy it often then I'd say go for it. If this is something you are just thinking of trying out to see if it is for you, I'd say get a good used one and take it from there

As for how they sail - I think the A.I. is the perfect platform to learn on because of its stability and forgiveness and with the mirage drive there as a backup propulsion system you're always assured of getting back in.

hope this helps ...

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the comments guys... :-)

I've been on a couple of A.I.s (after owning a Sport and then a Revo for a couple of years) and I was sold after seconds at the helm! :-)

One issue for me will be finding the time to get on the water regularly - I have three kids under 5, two of whom have a disability, which keeps me very busy.

This is part of the reason I'm looking at a used A.I. The other reason, of course, is the cost.

I'm primarily an angler - I used my Sport and Revo. Sailing has never been something I'd had any interest in. But once you feel the wind fill the sail and the pace picks up I can see how so many A.I. anglers spend more time sailing and less time fishing.

Cheers,

Mike.