Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Video cameras
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I see a a lot of cool videos of the ai and ti with cameras mounted on a long pole. What kind of camera set up is this? Seems like a camera would get pretty heavy, at least the water proof ones I've seen.

Post subject: Re: Video cameras
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Check out the GoPro HD.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know what other people use, but I've used an Olympus Tough point and shoot still camera which also takes video. I wasn't happy with the quality of the video, so I bought a 1080p HD handheld that is surprisingly good and also waterproof to 10 feet which is all you ever need on a kayak or AI/TI.

The one I got was a Kodak Playsport ZX3. It's about the size of a cell phone and weighs about the same too. It's not for everyone, but if you just want to take clips of things, it's pretty good. Other then being waterproof, I like that it's capable of 1080p video, but also up to 60 frames per second in 720p, meaning you can get good high quality shots of action, as the frame rate is fast enough to catch it all. It also takes still pictures at 5 megapixels, which is often enough for most people.

The best part was that the camera only cost me $150 Canadian at our local Best Buy (our dollar is close to par with the U.S. Dollar right now) That's cheap for an entry level 1080p camera that's also waterproof.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great info! I'll look into those. I guess the pole is just a lightweight pole screwed into the camera mount? Probably at camera stores I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've used this "Optex" mini tripod. (see picture) The legs are bendable and can wrap around poles etc. But most people do use a longer pole and a threaded screw to screw into the bottom of the camera.

I like this tripod because it's just enough to give you a stable shot, it plugs into both my video and still camera, it doesn't matter how wet it gets, it's stable on just about any surface, and it's super portable.

Some people use GoPro Camera's, I believe they're a little more expensive. Every person has their own preferences, and I'm sure others will respond to this thread. Once you know your options, you'll know what works best for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kev,
I use the GoPro HD camera mounted on the end of a 2m tentpole. It is light at 167g (5.9oz) in its waterproof housing and the wide angle makes for some stable footage. Recording at 60fps allows for some great slomo clips. :)
http://www.goprocamera.com/products/hd- ... -camera.ph

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For me....a Sony 'Cybershot' DSC TX-5. A great little 'Point 'n Shoot' size 10.2 Megapixel,Video....all the works and jerks of a modern camera. A nice big screen.

Waterproof to 10', dustproof, shock proof, Freeze proof etc.

About $280 AUD, which is 280 US :D

Invest in a $5 'Floating Strap' would be my advice for any camera li

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I suppose I had better fly the flag for the Panasonic Lumix FT1. Excellent all round camera. User friendly with superb picture quality. Although, my motto for big ticket items is to buy waterproof gear and then treat it as though it isn't. All it takes is one hair or bit of dust across a seal and you can kiss your camera goodbye. Don't let this put you off though Kev. They are still worth every cent.

We all like to play around with different mounts. In this video clip I had the Lumix mounted on a gimble mount so that the horizon is nearly always horizontal and about 3/4 the way into the video Stringy had his GoPro on an extension pole giving heaps of great camera angles.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee2mKrZftM0

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All great info! Thanks so much for the input.
I am anxiously awaiting the winter boat show in Feb to see what deals they will have for the TI. I will surely need a good camera to it off to you guys. :-)