Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK Pirate, I'm using Windows, but I think I can transpose the method to a Mac.

I open the image using Quicktime Picture Viewer, then resize the window until it looks like the size I want it to be onscreen. With the Mac, I think you can just double click an image file and the default image viewer will allow you to zoom in and out as required.

Then I use a screen capture utility to capture the image and save it to a file. Macs have a built in feature for capturing parts of the screen (command-shift-4).

That's it - the saved file is ready to be posted on the forum.

PS, I retrospectively enhanced the small image of you I posted earlier, as a demo of one of the advantages of using Dropbox.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Declaration of Interest: If anyone ends up using Dropbox as a result of following that link, I get some extra free storage space, but that's not my motivation for recommending it ....... honest :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'll check this out tonight. I currently use PhotoShop which is 'OK' but so far I have not compared it to anything else. Yeah Chris, I remember suggesting DropBox to you around a campfire one night. :roll: :roll: :roll:
You may have forgotten after you and Mickey knocked off that cast of red.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Slaughter - what happens on Broughton Island stays on Broughton Island.

You're right about Photoshop - you can just as easily tell it to resize an image to about 600 pixels wide and it will fit nicely on the forum pages.

I'm just in the habit of using my screen grabber because it's also handy for adding labels and capturing single frames from video clips.

For Example: Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Chris. I can do it your way no problems but I was under the mistaken impression the somehow Dropbox had a resize feature. Bugger me I will have to do it in another program, which I will in future.
You got to give it to Slaughter, he knows how to treat a woman...LOL...Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As far as I can deduce, he also grabbed the nice comfy hammock for the night and left her to sleep on the ground. I guess he was toughening her up for all the work she had to do the next day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good spotting Sherlock. Yes Mrs Slaughter did sleep in the tent but in my defence, being the gentleman that I am, I did erect the tent as a backup just in case she found the hammock too uncomfortable. ( Quite frankly, she didn’t really trust my knots and chose the tent option because there was less distance to fall )

P.S. I can’t lie. The captions on the photo told the exact story.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Too busy to play with Dropbox this afternoon as I just happened to collect my new Dune Adventure Island from Alpine Country in Sale Victoria. Can't speak too highly of them and they were generous with their time and accessories. Speak to Ritchie the Manager if interested.
Anyway I got her home and set her up and of course had to take a first photo.
Any suggestions on names for her would be useful.
And..by the way...seems I have mastered the posting by Dropbox issues.
Happy Pirate :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want that one !!!

Mate that looks the duck's nut's. Love it. I might just put my 'ol yella' up for sale.

Can't wait for a full test report. Mickey was saying that he thinks it sits lower in the water. I'd like to know your thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the thumbs up Slaughter and I will give my thoughts on the new rig asap. The minor upgrades quite impress me now I have had a good look at them. The new aka connections are far more user friendly, the 'tiller' handle is larger and nicer, the alloy anodised alloy finish is nice (though I doubt it will last any longer than the paint), the rudder is yet to be perfected though the pin breakage problem is definitely a thing of the past, and all the other great things about the AI are still there.
I cannot see how the boat would sit lower in the water. The aka bars are the same size & angle, the hull & amas are the same weight & size as the 2009 so I cannot see how the cosmetic differences can change the boat's flotation characteristics. I do imagine the new carry handles will direct water into the cockpit but we will get around that.
Just one more thing about Alpine Country Sale, my Hobie dealer. After picking up the boat yesterday I mentioned I like using my mp3 player whilst sailing and Ritchie presented me with a free portable speaker kit to be used with an iPod. Now that is a generous touch they didn't have to do. Also gave me a $30 sun hat and genuine Hobie dry bag that no-longer comes with the boat to make me even happier.
Anyway after walking the dog, and some paperwork that must be done, I might get down to the water to christen my new baby today if the weather holds out, possibly to be known as 'Pirates Island', unless someone can come up with something better...Pirate :wink: :wink: