Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay only been on the water for an hour and didn't put the sail up but I had some fun getting used to things. Had to make a name up for the Ti for my Personal Locator Beacon form - so called it Yellow 3. Not very original but I'm happy with it. One criteria was that it wouldn't sound silly if I have to VHF radio the coastguard (e.g. Yellow Belly calling Coastguard, Yellow Belly calling Coastguard Over... sort of thing).

I took the Ti to a local lake - idea was to assemble it, check all was in order etc. and have a pedalo trip using the Mirage drive.

Getting off trailer - easy. It is heavy but had no probs dropping one end then heaving other to floor.

Trolley to water's edge, firm ground - easy again using C-Tug trolley.

Assembly - easy again. Spend some time putting one Ama on with the back pointing forwards but that was just because I was getting over excited. Took me longer to put my drysuit on.

On the calm part of the lake: Very surprised at how easy to manouvre boat using the paddle (from back seat). Rudder very responsive. Mirage Drive excellent in all respects (easy to click in out). Whole boat felt very large! (I am used to a sea kayak).

On the windy part of the lake (only F3): Soon found myself getting very warm using Mirage Drive (full dry suit) and also realise my legs are unfit (I'm a skinny legged kayaker). VERY pleased to realise that Mirage Drive gives great cardio vascular workout and seems to involve core muscles - that will do me some good. Rudder less responsive turning into wind and you need to start pedalling a little harder to make it happen. I am interested to see how, with no sail, this craft can cope in various wind conditions. Not sure why I'm interested - probably just good to know its limitations in all guises (e.g. sail ripped). With sail and no rudder...? All things to learn as I go along.

Overall first impression pre sail going up: I think "easy" is the dominant word i.e. stress free and intuitive.

Sailing proper next time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am looking forward to reading more of your experiences with your new TI. One day, I too, will be a proud new TI or AI owner (I have the i14T now) and until then, will live vicariously through posts like yours! Thanks.

Feathercraft Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations Julian. We all knew you'd love it. Where abouts are you sailing. Drysuit ???.......definately not Australia. We sail naked down this way !

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Congratulations Julian. We all knew you'd love it. Where abouts are you sailing. Drysuit ???.......definately not Australia. We sail naked down this way !

us too! How do you guys rig YOUR new bowsprits?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Congratulations.

First time I've seen a TI (or AI) with a mast but no sail. Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:

Aloha Julian!

No tan lines here, either. ;-)••%--!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

North Wales, Conwy, UK. We just had a bout of -15 for a while so the lake was cold, cold, cold. Temp now +7 ish so better.

Yes mast but no sail. Sail going on next trip (ran out of time last time as was at end of a working Saturday).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gringo - I don't even know what a bowsprit is lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:

Slaughter - your not going to believe this - I hardly do myself! But....I actually wore my drysuit on both the first and last day of our recent Sale to Lakes Entrance trip :o I would never have imagined I would wear one in Australia in February - but there ya go :shock: :roll: The problem was that I knew I would be getting wet and combined with strong wind and a top temp around 20 C I have previously found I feel very cold in a wet suit. So the only option was the drysuit. I must say I MUCH prefer it to the tight restrictive feeling of a wet suit.
I felt too warm a few times but it seemed a better option than being cold and wet for several hours.

BTW Congratulations on your new baby Julian. I rather fancy adding one to my AI so that I can take newbies out - as well as my wife occasionally...

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Julian Patrick wrote:
...Yes mast but no sail. Sail going on next trip (ran out of time last time as was at end of a working Saturday).

Did you choose to take delivery without it already fitted?

My local Hobie dealer did all the pre-assembly required including fitting the sail on the mast etc. I don't think we even had a choice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Julian Patrick wrote:
Gringo - I don't even know what a bowsprit is lol

well, if I tried sailing naked at -15, I wouldn't either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hammer wrote:
Julian Patrick wrote:
...Yes mast but no sail. Sail going on next trip (ran out of time last time as was at end of a working Saturday).

Did you choose to take delivery without it already fitted?

My local Hobie dealer did all the pre-assembly required including fitting the sail on the mast etc. I don't think we even had a choice.

My dealer drove a six hour journey to deliver it. Was dark when he arrived so we only did a quick demo of the boat and outrigger bits. Sail is in a bag.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Your picture is great!

I understand the mast without sail. Our local dealer wanted to charge me to setup the sail upon delivery.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Second time on the water today... a few thoughts for those interested:

Got the mast stuck in the sail because I fed it the wrong way in the tunnel on the sail itself doh. Got it out after a fight.

All went well. Wind was light but I was very cautious for a while with the unfurling. Spent half the time on two thirds sail size learning the ropes. Then let the rest out - what a difference that made: was off like a scalded cat hee hee.

Have no concept of what sort of a wind or gust would flip me - felt the power in just light winds and a full sail. I was surprisingly cautious (water is very cold as followed the coldest UK winter for decades).

Will need to add some angle to the furling cleat as was a little tricky to lock.

One finger is painful after lots of sheeting in/out - must look at the different rope layout as advised in the manual (if sailing from back only you can change rope layout and lighten the load I believe).

Off on the ocean tomorrow.