Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've owned an AI for more than a couple of years and always promised myself but never got around to using it for fishing. Well all that changed the other day when a friend showed me just how versatile they are when we went fishing together, him in his Outback and me in my AI. He is a fishing nut and was good enough to show me how to catch from a yak. Here is a pic of the result of an hour's fishing. Whilst I went to shore to clean the fish, he kept at it from his yak and landed another 4 whoppers which are not included in this photo. Long live the versatility of the AI which can be peddled, paddled, sailed, fished and swam from...Pirate :P :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's official. Fish love the new Dune. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm, photoshop? 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done, better than my dismal efforts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good effort Pirate. Hope you didn't gut and scale 'em in the cockpit !

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks. I fished with one ama which I had locked in which worked well for stability but did direct some water into the cockpit whilst the Outback remained completely dry. I could try it purely as a kayak but will need to be careful I do not turn it over and lose gear. Does anyone have experience using it for fishing without amas?..Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner did a great comparison of the Adv and Revo comparing stability and other factors.

Some folks in the islands have run AI's in the one-armed (outrigger canoe style) configuration for our open water tournaments, where no sail was allowed.

They reported great stability and little loss of speed.

I have yet to go out fishing with just one Ama, but it seems like a win-win to leave it on the port side.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ta Nohuhu. Port side is best. I might use it permanently out with my half tramps next time which will give me complete stability and some extra carrying room. My only concern there is a little more set-up time as compared with my friend who just plonks it in and goes ....Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pirate wrote:
I've owned an AI for more than a couple of years and always promised myself but never got around to using it for fishing. Well all that changed the other day when a friend showed me just how versatile they are when we went fishing together, him in his Outback and me in my AI. He is a fishing nut and was good enough to show me how to catch from a yak. Here is a pic of the result of an hour's fishing. Whilst I went to shore to clean the fish, he kept at it from his yak and landed another 4 whoppers which are not included in this photo. Long live the versatility of the AI which can be peddled, paddled, sailed, fished and swam from...Pirate :P :P

Nice Breambo's, however some look a little on the small size for Vic.
What waterway?

Cheers

http://www.hobiecat.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Steve,
They were all well above min size with the one on the right weighing in at 1.18kg so that should give you some idea of the overall sizes. They were caught on the Gippsland Lakes. Caught two tailer also which ate well the same night...Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pirate wrote:
Hi Steve,
They were all well above min size with the one on the right weighing in at 1.18kg so that should give you some idea of the overall sizes. They were caught on the Gippsland Lakes. Caught two tailer also which ate well the same night...Pirate

1.18 kg!! awesome!! I fished Metung and loved the waterway....

http://www.hobiecat.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:35 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Pirate wrote:
I could try it purely as a kayak but will need to be careful I do not turn it over and lose gear. Does anyone have experience using it for fishing without amas?..Pirate
Aloha Dan has fished out of his Adventure for years. You should have no problems with stability.

Remember to tether your gear though, just in case. There is a lot of unintended fishing gear sitting on the bottom of the ocean! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yup - our other Hawaiian Hobie Pro, Boogie D, fishes and guides on a stock Adventure when he's not sailing his AI. Saw his fishing setup tonight at a Hobie sponsored event.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This was my reason for buying the AI. Its just a bad ass paddleski and a joy to paddle as it is with no Amas or sail rig. I have had pleanty of kayaks and paddleskis over the years and this is fast and stable.

The pedal drive is going to be a great bonus when landing a fish and not drifitng in the wind / current.

I've still only managed to sail it once, but paddled it a couple of times as a yak first. I doubt I'll ever use a single ama for fishing, other than it does give you some extra deck space... but would rather not lose the speed of paddling just the hull.

I nearly always troll a lure and will be doing the same when I wire the sailing aspect of the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks to all for giving me the knowledge and confidence to use the AI in the kayak only mode purely for fishing and I will heed the good advice. Roadrunner, that is one heck of a photo my friend...Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Wish I could take credit -- don't know who took it. Dan originally posted it, I merely stole it (with his permission). It's one of my favorites also! :D