Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've done them pretty well every way you can. Both of these were done on the water.

One of the two was very memorable as I was chased back to the cockpit from hanging on the back of my boat 3 times by larger waves coming at me! :o :shock: :) It was in 3 to 4 foot waves but +5 footers kept chasing me each time I'd reached the back. On the 4th attempt, I got the pin replaced in 5 seconds flat. The first attempt I actually rode a wave for a few seconds laying across my gear in the back while trying to get back to my seat.

I usually move to calmer waters, but conditions were too good to miss that day. Just the right amount of wind and waves for long surfing waves while on reaches (but not to change rudder pins!) :D

For the last year or more with the gray rudder pins, I've earned each broken pin by pushing the boat to get lined up for a good picture, or trying to keep an eye on multiple new people sailing with me, or keeping with a wind surfer in an AI. Ah, good times! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt and others, any reason not to use a hotglue injection to build up something like the transom areas, or is that doomed to failure?

What's the material of choice?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Reconlon,
you mentioned that Hobie will be replacing our TI rudder systems with a non twist and stow unit.
Can you give us a hint on how it will work? Can the rudder still be moved up to storage from the cockpit?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TIDALWAVE wrote:
Reconlon,
you mentioned that Hobie will be replacing our TI rudder systems with a non twist and stow unit.
Can you give us a hint on how it will work? Can the rudder still be moved up to storage from the cockpit?
I've got no more details other than what Matt posted a few weeks ago here. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=31483&

Since I was so thorough in my testing of hard rudder pins that I broke two AI hulls, I haven't heard from the Hobie engineers to be of further 'help'. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:20 am 
Site Admin

NOHUHU wrote:
Matt and others, any reason not to use a hotglue injection to build up something like the transom areas, or is that doomed to failure?

Hot glue works.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt

Would you suggest we fill in the tube cavity area with hot glue inside the hull where the rudder pin goes through?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

This is not an area that we have seen many problems with. It seems reasonable that the area filled would be stronger, but the fill is not something we have done other than to prohibit a leak.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
I get the feeling that their quality control is poor.

We are a small company... nothing like a major auto or computer maker that has legions of quality control staff which then still experience major issues and recalls.

But, I think some people misunderstand the level of quality control issues we have. By having open discussions on issues here in the forums... they sometimes appear to be more broad-based than what they are. Our over-all warranty percentage, compared to sales, is still quite small.

Some of this is pure volume of sales. Some is the amount of innovation we try to put into production. Some is by being open and honest in regard to issues, by having and supporting our user forums here... problems get focused on. Some of it is just how people use the products.

Then users chime in here that they do not experience the problems being discussed. In example, just now reconlon writes
Quote:
I'm pleasantly surprised that mine has worked flawlessly.

We'll certainly keep listening and keep trying to improve our products and production processes... which, I believe we have done over the years.

:roll: :roll: hmmmm..could Matt be referring to old Pirate I wonder? :roll: :roll:
Actually I quite agree with Matt on this one. For example I used my red AI for 2 full years but did not ever replace a pin though I discussed it extensively on this forum with a view to helping Hobie fix it. Mind you I believe I did a self improvement by shimming the system up nice and neat so it could not shimmy through the water thus weakening the pin. Anyway good on you Hobie by supporting the owners, and continuing to innovate. ....Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I must chime in with my two years experience with an AI, sailing in some pretty extreme conditions, and many glades expeditions without a single pin failure. (actually no issues at all)

Thanks to this forum, I was forewarned and did carry several spares. I am glad to say I transferred them to the new owner....just purchased a TI.
Thanks Hobie for listening and your continuous product improvements.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailorking,

I see you are from up around Long Wood, FL. Where do you sail in the everglades?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Keith:
I have a buddy in miami that i adventure with- we do all the beaches on the coast tween E City and Flamingo, plus whitewater bay chickees in our AIs... and more interior stuff in our kayaks.
I just sold my AI and bought a TI.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Dave--missed your reply until now.

We ought to get together sometime.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
NOHUHU wrote:

Hot glue works.

I like Aloha Dan's suggestion of using Gflex from West Systems, but don't plan to do it unless I manage to rip a transom off.

I still have not broken a pin, nor has my wife since the day she broke two early on.